2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews 2

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Nice while it lasted
By Liz on 10/04/07 11:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Hyundai Elantra has just 65000 miles on. I have done regular maintenance, including just doing all of the manufacturer suggested 60000 mile maintenance. Now, at just 5000 miles out of warranty (I am the second owner, bought it at 18000 miles), it has a cracked piston!!! This repair is estimated at 2000. I called Hyundai and they said there is nothing they can do for me. I have enjoyed the car and have had few problems with it up until now, but PLEASE a car should go at least 100,000 without having any major problems like this. What a rip off. I have also been very disappointed with the cheap paint on the car that degrades under any sort of pressure (bird poop).

Dangerous for tall people
By whatever on 06/05/07 20:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and recently got an awesome deal on it. But I have to sit rather akward to keep my head from hitting the ceileing (im 6'3"). It has a sun roof which is nice though thats where my head is. Problem is if I get hit at the passenger door im very likely to break my neck, even at slower speeds.

My 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT
By Rebecca on 03/26/07 11:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since 2002, with 4000 miles on it, this car has been reliable and fun to drive, great for a 17 year old or an adult, and comes fully loaded I would definatly reccomend this car to others that are looking, and GREAT on gas, as I drive all day for my business.

Happy, inexpensive motoring
By Bob on 06/23/06 10:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used and have been very satisfied with car. Many features make this seem and feel like a much more expensive vehicle. Style is attractive and interior well thought out. Always thought Saab 3 series was such a pratical car, then they stopped making it as a hatchback. This car is just the same, small outside but hugh inside carrying capacity.

Great car!
By Denverite on 04/18/06 15:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this car 4.5 years with no problems whatsoever. Does just fine driving in the Colorado mountains in wintertime. Good fuel economy, averages around 32 mpg mixed driving.

Great Little Poor Man's Saab
By SurferDude on 01/22/06 14:31 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This great little car has been an insane deal. I've had no major problems in 66,000 miles. Minor problems repaired under warranty by dealer. Fun to drive. All the luxury items of European cars for less than half the price. I'll only sell it because I need to tow a camper.

01 Elantra
By fhar on 01/12/06 10:43 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great Car, rides great. Great gas mileage. Roomy interior for family of four.

Looks sharp, performs well
By john lees on 10/05/05 12:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is laied out well with simple yet ample controls. It is loaded with standard features and the extras are nice too. Has a lot of zip for a 4 and corners well too. Fuel economy was about 35 highway and 21 city. Doors sound solid when closed. Hatch is nice and roomy. Stereo good, but audiophile will want aftermarket sound.

Glad i went for it!
By Cleaver on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was if'y about buying a Hyundai i will admit.Mildly put the Excel was JUNK! I have owned every Jap vehicle known and loved them all but i took the chance and after 21/2 yrs am still happy with my decision. My GT runs flawlessly! I have with a few tweaks here and there acheived 37mpg on a trip and have never got less than 30!! You couldnt touch a Honda or Toyota with all the accessories for under 20grand and some options arent even available from them! You do hear complaints but remember Toyota and Honda in the 70's? Look at them now! Personally the worst vehicles are American sadly...Look at the recalls!,After 100yrs or close to, We still cant get it right

COOL RIDE I would recommend it
By korrosive on 09/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my GT with 30k miles on it amidst frowns from my friends. It has been an awesome ride and I have taken 500mile trips a couple of times with no problems. My RR wheel hub assembly has been replaced twice in this year under warranty, my manifold was replaced during my timing belt replacement. My headlamps go out every 3 months, whenever I go through a car wash water seeps in the rear seats right above the trunk. I have a very aggressive driving habit, but the car just compels me to drive faster and harder because it handles extremely great.