Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Have had this car seven years!
By Terry

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First let me say that Hyundai sticks with you all the way with their 100,000 mile power train warranty. They fixed the differential in my car at 95,000 miles free of charge! I never incurred any major repairs other than worn parts. And it's been a gas to drive. Steering is very responsive and the standard drive provided excellent gitty-up especially in the mid ranges over 40mph. I would buy it again but the exterior of the 2009 model is just plain looking and they discontinued the hatchback.

Favorite Features

6-speaker AM/FM/CD player, leather seats, quick off the start as well as power with manual in the mid ranges. Hatchback shape similar to that of Saab, which many of my friend quickly mistook for.

Suggested Improvements

Slight noise factor but with the superber sound of the stereo (with tweeters in the door), I hardly noticed it.

unnecessary Hype
By Sebben

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after reading the review at Edmunds. Whoever is the author should be fired. Dmn, you should be nuts to compare this one with civic. Let me list the problems, 1. Transmission seals leaked 2. Transmission sensor doesn't work 3. Trans axles have problem 4. the check engine light never goes off 5. Emission canister always go bad. 6. poor mileage. 19 on highway I can get it from a good SUV A waste of money. I have already spent over $1500 in repairs

Favorite Features

the stereo which was surprisingly good

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, Emission canister, Fuel economy

Loved it until now
By catcheme

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine in 2004 used, leather sunroof awesome looking, dependable during college (traveled 100 miles daily) and during home health runs, about two months ago transmission would stick then backfire, fanbelt broke yesterday mechanic said "get rid of it before it blows up, its only made to last 100k miles". Now at 147k, love it but have to let it go, did have to frequently change headlights (not cheap ones either) and replaced the thermostat 3 times, the trunk leaks also, everything else great. I am going to miss it, great gas mileage, good size. costs too much to replace engine and tranny, oh and my paint job is starting to peel off on the edges (factory) cd player never worked for me.

Favorite Features

Sunroof , leather loved the appearance, good gas mileage,roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

better paint and headlight mounts, better factory stereo system

Good _budget_ car
By scott

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like other Korean products, like Samsung phones, this car is high on well-designed features, but just misses on small things that Japanese competitors still consider (and prove to be annoying long term). Biggest pros: Features - sunroof, leather, etc Interior space- everyone is surprised at "how roomy" it is Exterior design - often mistaken for a SAAB 93 Biggest cons: Loud to drive- very little sound dampening Rough to drive- feel every bump in the road Electrical- have to replace a headlight every couple months?!? Other minor complaints... Why did they design the center A/C vents that way? They are completely worthless for the passenger.

Favorite Features

Cargo/passenger space relative to size of car. Feels "peppy".

Suggested Improvements

More sound dampening. Redesign of climate control system for better distribution to entire car. Add'l lighting for back seat. Shorter backseat headrests, so it's easier to fold flat seats.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Mattman

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my GT hatch with 62K for $5600 and after a routine dealer service (rather pricey) have had absolutely no mechanical issues in almost 20K of driving. Mileage is great and there's plenty of highway passing pep. Interior space is incredible. I fit two solid plastic 8X4 ft. folding leg tables AND 8 non- fold hard plastic table chairs in the back and was able to fully close the boot. Who needs a truck? Only annoyances I have are the standard rear seat drip leak & the factory CD player doesn't play burned CDs. In the grand scheme no biggie. The Excel days are CLEARLY over and with their model linup expanding I can easily say Hyundai will again be in my future.

Favorite Features

Hatch versatility, tight steering, leather seats

Suggested Improvements

Whoa back on the $900 routine 30K/60K/90K service call (thank God I know how to change oil), bring back the hatch!