2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews 2

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
It's been fairly reliable so far
By John on 06/17/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec 01. So far, no MAJOR issues with the car; it's been mechanically sound and reliable at 104K miles. The couple of times I took the car in for warranty-related work, the dealer refused and wanted me to pay (it was electrical issue). Seems like warranty work is a hit/miss with dealers. I've had only minor annoying electrical problems so far, like the dash clock not working (took it apart and repaired myself), turn signal switch intermittent (repaired myself), side mirror heaters no longer work, air blower switch position 1 doesn't work, several bulbs in the dash burned out (including the headlights numerous times). Steering vibrates at above 60 MPH intermittently.

Buyer Beware
By Henry on 05/26/10 15:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Elantra for almost a year, I bought it for around $4,500 in 2009. As I write this considering the age and mileage of my car I have boon somewhat lucky considering how hard I drive it. I have had some somewhat minor issues like CV joint problems and ball joint issues. Still I would definitely not recommend anyone buy one, unless it was in very good shape. Look into buying a reliable car and don't rush into buying. I wish someone would have told me this but instead I rushed and bought something cheap and I could have done better and so can you.

Good overall Deal
By Ken2400 on 02/01/10 13:04 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There is a recall on the Lower control arms due to salt in given states. Look it up. Mine failed at 137K miles. Dealer fully covered it. 5 SP GLS

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD on 12/29/09 12:25 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

Loved My Elantra
By Scott on 10/28/09 01:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had my elantra for 8.5 years and had NO problems. Started up every time. Performed routine scheduled maintenance only. I bought it straight out of college. Would not have just upgraded, except I wanted 4 wheel drive after a bad winter last year. Was worth way more to me than trade in value. Gave it to friends in need of a car.

too good to be true
By katie on 10/26/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had hoped that the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty meant that Hyundai was wanted to prove they were making reliable vehicles like Honda or Nissan. Nope. I think they were counting on the average consumer trading in at 3 or 4 years and less than 60,000. The warranty has covered a few things (that should not have gone bad) and not covered other stuff that also should not have gone bad (the rear wheel bearings went bad at 62,000; the sun roof started leaking within 4 years; the vehicle eats headlights and even the dealer cannot raise the headlights so that the "low beams" are useful and the "high beams" are still lower than most other vehicles low beams. I'm getting an older used Nissan instead

Great and Reliable
By crkeeler on 09/24/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra brand new in February of 2001. It has proven to be the most reliable car i've ever owned. I have not had any major repairs and it runs great. I recommend this as a used car option even over 100,000 miles. Great and affordable for a high school or college student.

Great Value
By laura on 09/05/09 06:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Elantra gently used in 2002, because it appeared to be the best value. And it has been. I've not had to pay for any major repairs in the 7 years and 100,000 miles I've owned. Def. the lowest cost to own car I've ever had. The car is not sexy, so I've been a bit bored with it ( since I bought it), but will keep driving until it starts needing major repairs.

good for the pirce
By Z on 08/21/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Elantra GLS 5-speed back in 2001. I'm in the market for a new car now, after about 8 years and 130,000. The car still runs fine, but little things like the power windows, catalytic converter, etc. have given me reason to buy another car (possibly another Hyundai). The car was 100% reliable through out most of its life so far. I have driven it through all kinds of weather conditions, and even drove it cross-country. Despite two low-impact collisions, only cosmetic damage was done; the car drove on as if though nothing happened. I still have the original clutch on it, and it works fine! I think its time to retire this one; it served its purpose, and served it well.

just bought it we will see
By poetry on 07/28/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car today, its a beauty. I love the interior design the Windows are smoked so I dont have to get them tinted. The previous owner put in custom sound and custom rims and it drives like a dream. I bought the car with 4 recalls on it and the dealership already advised me they will fix them with no cost and provide a rental. I only gave it "8" because I've only owned it for 7 hours now.