Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

still going strong!
By tigerbully

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Hyundai Elantra has over 340,000 miles and still kicks backside going up and over the grapevine numerous times a year.
As a matter of fact it just made yet another trip from Oregon to California last month.
I just had the transmission replaced and a new clutch(the second one) last week.
If you maintain a car and fix it when the littlest problems comes up it will be good to you.
Having said that my daughter is using this car to commute 110 miles back and forth to school 5 days a week while I am driving a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra and so is my husband that's how impressed we have been with this car.
Didn't test drive or look at anything else.

The one and only improvement we can think is the power steering pump has issues. We did replace that 3 times but we buy our parts with a lifetime warranty so only paid for it once as my husband is able to put it in himself.

Loved and now hate this car
By smm7

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2007 when it had 120,000 miles on it.
It now has 190,000 miles, and I'm still driving it.
There are good and bad things I've encountered.
Good things- I love small cars, easy to drive, gets around very well in snow storms surprisingly, and it has never had engine or tranny issues.
Bad things- I've pumped tons of money in this car to keep it going.
From the radiator to the belts and everything in between.
And the paint is horrible. It's looks like crap and all peeled off on the hood, top, and trunk.
It looks horrible now.
It's still getting me places, and after 5 years, this is the longest I've had the same car, but I can't wait to get rid of it.

Small, easy to drive, gets around well.

I hope the newer models have a better paint job that lasts longer than a few years.

will not by another Hyundai
By danmyerow

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I used to own a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The car only had about 95,000 mile on it.I really liked this car. The car ran great. I got about 21 miles per gallon on it. I only had it for about 5 months untill I got in a car accident. I hit the front tire of a scooter doing about 30mph. I am ok and so was the guy on the scooter. There was damage to my front bumper, fender and my hood. My claims adjustor called me and said the car was a total loss. If you do buy this type of car do not get in accident with it because it was built on the cheap side.

The car ran Excellent. I thought the seats were comfortable.

They need to improve the quality of the body of the car.

Probably going to jinx myself with this review
By sturn2k

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Gotta say, I didn't expect much when I picked mine up at an auction for $3600 with 93K on it.
Now three years later and double the mileage I am singing the praises of Hyundai.
Must agree with what others are writing - loud road noise, ride is rough and it absolutely eats headlights for some reason, BUT this thing gets me to and from work everyday 130 miles round trip.
Left me stranded one time with a broken fan belt and another time because the battery went dead - my own fault.
I like the car so much that my wife now needs a car to go back and forth to school and I'm going to look at a 2004 model that is identical to mine.
That is the best compliment I can think of.

It's sporty and it handles very well.

Of course - fix the dang headlight issue. More because one side is a royal pain to replace - other side, opposite of battery takes five minutes - battery side takes half an hour.

Great car (dependable)
By mmeyering

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I am still driving it with 170K on it. Everything on it still works as it should. I have read that people thik it is bad in the snow, Well I think it has a lot to do with the tires I did a lot of research on tires and with the ones I bought the car goes GREAT
in the snow. I always run 55 - 60 on the slippery roads with no trouble and I have gone through powder snow that was coming over the hood. It also handles good on dry roads as well I had it up to 120 mph and handles great. The only repairs I have made were wheel bearing and 1 fuel injector, other than that just the regular sch mat. I would buy another and do not baby it!!! It is a lot of fun to drive .

The stick shift, size and how light the car is handles great!!

Maybe an option for a bigger engine.