Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Car
By jlmb

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine 2 years ago, and i been driving the wheels off the car, I have put about 70 000 miles on it making it 97000 total. I have to be honest, iam impressed on how well the car still runs. I bought mine used, so i dont have the benefit of the warranty but so far I had no problems with it. Ofcourse I have done all the regular maintenance myself oil change, brake change, etc., and its so easy to maintain, I can now change its brakes in 15 minutes. The only drawback was that mine didnt have a CD player, so I had one installed one 100 dollards, and it's poor mpg, but i do have a heavy foot.

Styling, build quality, easy to maintain

none

COOL RIDE I would recommend it
By korrosive

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my GT with 30k miles on it amidst frowns from my friends. It has been an awesome ride and I have taken 500mile trips a couple of times with no problems. My RR wheel hub assembly has been replaced twice in this year under warranty, my manifold was replaced during my timing belt replacement. My headlamps go out every 3 months, whenever I go through a car wash water seeps in the rear seats right above the trunk. I have a very aggressive driving habit, but the car just compels me to drive faster and harder because it handles extremely great.

Power everything, heated mirrors, spacious cargo area(esp. with rear seats down), alloy wheels(I strongly dislike hub caps)

Fix the headlamp issue, wheel hub assy issue, lining used, location of manifold, accessibility to fog lights which are impossible to replace without lifting the car clear off the ground.

EXCELLENT CAR
By JG15LZB

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow I could not believe how good of a job Hyundai did on this car when I had first got it. The car drove effortlessly down the road cruising at 65 mph. It handled bumpy and uneven roads darn well. The seats were very comfortable and supportive, plus they were easy to adjust. And I loved the audio system. Mine was equipped with the optional CD player, ABS, and moonroof. Yet I gaot the Elantra for right under $15,000! try doing that with a Civic. I had the car for 3 years. I can honestly say that I didn't had any problems with the car. I was shocked because I haven't had any car for 3 years without ANY problems!I never thought my 1st would be Hyundai!

CD player, moonroof, seats, performance.

Better floor carpet because once dirt gets in there, you'll have "fun" trying to get it out!

Pleasant Surprise
By djali79

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After considering a few choices for compact cars, I narrowed it down to the Civic and the Elantra. I went with the Elantra because of price and given that it had received good reviews, I wasn't too worried. I was definitely surprised when I actually saw what it had to offer. Side airbags, 2.0L 140-hp DOHC engine, power everything, heated mirrors, excellent storage compartments, tilt height adjust driver seat, slick gearbox, etc. I bought mine with 31000 miles for $6,200. Similar civics were running around anywhere from $9-11,000. Obviously Hondas have better resale, but how much more can it depreciate from 6 grand? Great car, good build quality.

Power everything, rubberized and felt lined storage spaces, good gearbox and slick shifter, decent MPG, good power throughout the band, dash layout, nice door closing sound

A little noisy at 80mph on the freeway, review mirror vibration that I need to get checked out, try to get MPG 32/36 instead of 25/33.

great car for money
By dicodog

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always driven honda's and chevy's..this car is compareable to the honda and much better than the cavalier. The safety features. and warrantee are outstanding. It could use disk rear brakes and ABS should be standard. Would not hesitate to buy a new one when time comes.

Side air bags, tilt steering wheel, and warrantee

rear disk brakes, ABS brakes should be standard, and gas mileage should be better.