Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Most Helpful|
will not by another Hyundai
By danmyerow

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I used to own a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The car only had about 95,000 mile on it.I really liked this car. The car ran great. I got about 21 miles per gallon on it. I only had it for about 5 months untill I got in a car accident. I hit the front tire of a scooter doing about 30mph. I am ok and so was the guy on the scooter. There was damage to my front bumper, fender and my hood. My claims adjustor called me and said the car was a total loss. If you do buy this type of car do not get in accident with it because it was built on the cheap side.

Favorite Features

The car ran Excellent. I thought the seats were comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

They need to improve the quality of the body of the car.

Great for the money.
By tvc

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For the money, this is the best on the road today. This is my second Elantra and I have not had any mechanical problems with either over a total of 4 years. My first Elantra was a 2000 model and it was totalled in an accident. The airbags deployed and my car was flipped over. I got out with minor abraisions from crawling out through the glass but not from the impact. The roof held up and did not crumple after the car came to rest on its roof. The car also has plenty of power for its size.

Favorite Features

The power from the small engine. The sound from the factory stereo. Yes, I know that you can obviously get better in other cars but you have to pay for them. The Elantra gives very acceptable performance without the premium pricetag. After all, this is an ecomomy car.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Fog lights or different lighting packages as an option would be nice. Factory wheels other than the plastic hubcaps. My 2000 Elantra had this option but not the 2001.

Loved and now hate this car
By smm7

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2007 when it had 120,000 miles on it. It now has 190,000 miles, and I'm still driving it. There are good and bad things I've encountered. Good things- I love small cars, easy to drive, gets around very well in snow storms surprisingly, and it has never had engine or tranny issues. Bad things- I've pumped tons of money in this car to keep it going. From the radiator to the belts and everything in between. And the paint is horrible. It's looks like crap and all peeled off on the hood, top, and trunk. It looks horrible now. It's still getting me places, and after 5 years, this is the longest I've had the same car, but I can't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

Small, easy to drive, gets around well.

Suggested Improvements

I hope the newer models have a better paint job that lasts longer than a few years.

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Anything to fix the excessive vibrations and loud noise while driving 55 mph or more.

don't do it
By bangbanggg

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the elentra for the warrenty. No other company offers one as good. It's burning more gas then what the sticker displays. I already had to take it in for sevice twice one was the check engine light came on.. it was fault spark plug wires which ended messing up the plugs. i did the plugs myself they did the wires. around 20000 miles i start feel a lost in power. so i went to dealership to tell them i thing the clutch is slipping. they "look" at it and agree with me and say i need a new clutch, but i have to pay for it

Favorite Features

, b/c i did not know how to drive according to them. I asked if they looked at it and they said yes we drove it. it was going to cost me 800 dollars for the parts and labor. They taught i didn't know anything about cars.. well i know alot about cars.

Suggested Improvements

To make a long story short and after talking to the manger and their bosses they did the work for free b/c a throw out bearing was fault from the factory. They were going to charge me for parts i didn't need and thats what i pointed out to the owner of the dealership.