Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Good on gas, not too much else
By jelmisc

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The dealership gave me an incorrect purchase agreement and it took me over a year to get the correct title and VIN.I have had extensive problems covered under warranty (broken seat frame,cracked manifold,etc).While they cover the work I am left carless and it often takes multiple visits to get the repairs done correctly.LCD panel on radio blew-not covered.Was part of a class action lawsuit due to "overstated horsepower" which is very noticeable when accelerating. Received terrible customer service at Rockland Auto Plaza (Nanuet, NY) and had it not been for the excellent service at Liberty Hyundai (Suffern, NY) I would have ditched the car long ago.We probably will never buy another Hyundai.

Good on gas mileage.

Better customer service. Although I had several problems with the car itself, the poor customer service accerbated the situation.

Hyundai experiences of a large man
By WallyJr

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a large man. The Elantra was one of the few small cars that would fit me with head room to spare. For a small car it has been surprisingly comfortable. But long trips require that I stop every so often to stretch.It has good pep when merging on the freeway and in California that is important. My only complaint is that the brake pedal depresses to the same floor level as the gas pedal.Because of my size and large foot (size 12),I have more than once hit both at the same time resulting in my car lurching forward when I was trying to brake.An older person might lack the ability to size up the problem quickly enough to avoid an accident.

I enjoy the acceleration and cruise control the most. However, I was steered to the Hyundai not by its cost or style (which are both very nice) but by the warranty periods.

As suggested above, for a man with a size 12 shoe, the brake and gas pedals have presented me personaly with unexpected lurching. The brake pedal needs to engage at least a couple inches higher than the gas pedal. I have suggested this to my service department.

Great Car
By jlmb

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine 2 years ago, and i been driving the wheels off the car, I have put about 70 000 miles on it making it 97000 total. I have to be honest, iam impressed on how well the car still runs. I bought mine used, so i dont have the benefit of the warranty but so far I had no problems with it. Ofcourse I have done all the regular maintenance myself oil change, brake change, etc., and its so easy to maintain, I can now change its brakes in 15 minutes. The only drawback was that mine didnt have a CD player, so I had one installed one 100 dollards, and it's poor mpg, but i do have a heavy foot.

Styling, build quality, easy to maintain

none

Love My Elantra.
By MKGeorge

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best value for my money. I bought this car on impulse and am so glad I did. I got a fully loaded, well designed, comfortable, great looking car. I have never had any problems. I put several miles on my car over and 8 month period and it never let me down. The brakes had a few problems but I did so much driving it was bound to happen. It handles so well even in the snow. For a 4 cylinder engine its quite peppy. Best of all I got everything I wanted for a very reasonable price. If your looking for a well desinged car with a ton of features for a great price, then buy the Elantra.

Stock stereo is actually quite good. All the controls are easy to get to. Air conditioning is awesome. Tons of space in the trunk and the backseat is nice and roomy.

Its a small thing...but to have the cup holders in easy reach would be nice. And of course who would love power seats...

EXCELLENT CAR
By JG15LZB

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow I could not believe how good of a job Hyundai did on this car when I had first got it. The car drove effortlessly down the road cruising at 65 mph. It handled bumpy and uneven roads darn well. The seats were very comfortable and supportive, plus they were easy to adjust. And I loved the audio system. Mine was equipped with the optional CD player, ABS, and moonroof. Yet I gaot the Elantra for right under $15,000! try doing that with a Civic. I had the car for 3 years. I can honestly say that I didn't had any problems with the car. I was shocked because I haven't had any car for 3 years without ANY problems!I never thought my 1st would be Hyundai!

CD player, moonroof, seats, performance.

Better floor carpet because once dirt gets in there, you'll have "fun" trying to get it out!

• SUV