Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

honest review
By danny

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my elantra for 4 years now. I've had few problems. I do have all the scheduled maintenance done by the dealership though. The braking is not as good as I would like it to be. Also the car depreciated much faster and more dramatically than I expected.I've had problems with the power windows and mirrors too. By far though...for the money... this has been an excellent car. I get a lot of positive feedback as the car performs like similar cars in its class. It has a nice ride. I've had problems with the power locks. At times it is easy to tell that the car was made on the cheap. My recomendation would be to buy one that is a year old , as they depreciate unbelievably the first year.

Favorite Features

The 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Suggested Improvements

improved braking, poor original paint job. Overall I am happy. Dealership scheduled maintenance is way too expensive. $700??? thats crazy (ny)

Really injoyable car
By frank jaehnig

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the first foreign make that I had ever bought. I was interested because of the warranty, but once I drove one I knew I had to buy it and I have not been sorry. I now have 52000 mile on it and I love just as much now as when I first purchased it. I think that any Toyota or Honda drivers should try this car before they buy their next as it is a great car for the money.

Favorite Features

Great sounding radio and tape system and the air cond.is super. Also the quickness for a 4 cylinder is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the cost of routine service work as it is overpriced.

excellant valu for money
By solarbear

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

only problem I've had was tires wore out after 24,000 miles,.

Favorite Features

warrantee is excellant and design is really up there with more expensive cars like honda and nissan

Suggested Improvements

service can be cheaper and better.

Good on gas, not too much else
By jelmisc

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The dealership gave me an incorrect purchase agreement and it took me over a year to get the correct title and VIN.I have had extensive problems covered under warranty (broken seat frame,cracked manifold,etc).While they cover the work I am left carless and it often takes multiple visits to get the repairs done correctly.LCD panel on radio blew-not covered.Was part of a class action lawsuit due to "overstated horsepower" which is very noticeable when accelerating. Received terrible customer service at Rockland Auto Plaza (Nanuet, NY) and had it not been for the excellent service at Liberty Hyundai (Suffern, NY) I would have ditched the car long ago.We probably will never buy another Hyundai.

Favorite Features

Good on gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better customer service. Although I had several problems with the car itself, the poor customer service accerbated the situation.

Hyundai experiences of a large man
By WallyJr

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a large man. The Elantra was one of the few small cars that would fit me with head room to spare. For a small car it has been surprisingly comfortable. But long trips require that I stop every so often to stretch.It has good pep when merging on the freeway and in California that is important. My only complaint is that the brake pedal depresses to the same floor level as the gas pedal.Because of my size and large foot (size 12),I have more than once hit both at the same time resulting in my car lurching forward when I was trying to brake.An older person might lack the ability to size up the problem quickly enough to avoid an accident.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the acceleration and cruise control the most. However, I was steered to the Hyundai not by its cost or style (which are both very nice) but by the warranty periods.

Suggested Improvements

As suggested above, for a man with a size 12 shoe, the brake and gas pedals have presented me personaly with unexpected lurching. The brake pedal needs to engage at least a couple inches higher than the gas pedal. I have suggested this to my service department.