2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Loved and now hate this car
By smm7 on 03/24/12 11:32 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2007 when it had 120,000 miles on it. It now has 190,000 miles, and I'm still driving it. There are good and bad things I've encountered. Good things- I love small cars, easy to drive, gets around very well in snow storms surprisingly, and it has never had engine or tranny issues. Bad things- I've pumped tons of money in this car to keep it going. From the radiator to the belts and everything in between. And the paint is horrible. It's looks like crap and all peeled off on the hood, top, and trunk. It looks horrible now. It's still getting me places, and after 5 years, this is the longest I've had the same car, but I can't wait to get rid of it.

will not by another Hyundai
By danmyerow on 10/21/11 13:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I used to own a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The car only had about 95,000 mile on it.I really liked this car. The car ran great. I got about 21 miles per gallon on it. I only had it for about 5 months untill I got in a car accident. I hit the front tire of a scooter doing about 30mph. I am ok and so was the guy on the scooter. There was damage to my front bumper, fender and my hood. My claims adjustor called me and said the car was a total loss. If you do buy this type of car do not get in accident with it because it was built on the cheap side.

Great car (dependable)
By mmeyering on 03/13/11 11:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I am still driving it with 170K on it. Everything on it still works as it should. I have read that people thik it is bad in the snow, Well I think it has a lot to do with the tires I did a lot of research on tires and with the ones I bought the car goes GREAT in the snow. I always run 55 - 60 on the slippery roads with no trouble and I have gone through powder snow that was coming over the hood. It also handles good on dry roads as well I had it up to 120 mph and handles great. The only repairs I have made were wheel bearing and 1 fuel injector, other than that just the regular sch mat. I would buy another and do not baby it!!! It is a lot of fun to drive .

Excellent commuter or first car
By Janglez on 08/24/10 13:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra for about a year and a half now and have 125k on it, I'm 19 and it is my first car, but I have driven a lot of my friend's Hondas, and other I4 engine cars. My Elantra out preforms all of them, even stock. Only bad thing is when I have a car full, power lacks a little, just like any other 4 banger. Drives smooth until about 55 and vibrates a little, stops after 70. Corners great, with minimal body roll with good struts. 22 mpg average, topped out at 35 mpg on a road trip. I drive this car really hard, and only had minimal damage. Defiantly recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap reliable car that out preforms other cars in its class.

Needed some work
By Amy on 08/03/10 13:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased the car I knew it needed work. I had three recalls on it when I bought it not including a bit more repairs than I wanted to make on a used car. The gas mileage is great, specially on long trips. Other than that it is just going to be the car I hang on to until it breaks down. Hope it lasts a few years with all the repairs.

It's been fairly reliable so far
By John on 06/17/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec 01. So far, no MAJOR issues with the car; it's been mechanically sound and reliable at 104K miles. The couple of times I took the car in for warranty-related work, the dealer refused and wanted me to pay (it was electrical issue). Seems like warranty work is a hit/miss with dealers. I've had only minor annoying electrical problems so far, like the dash clock not working (took it apart and repaired myself), turn signal switch intermittent (repaired myself), side mirror heaters no longer work, air blower switch position 1 doesn't work, several bulbs in the dash burned out (including the headlights numerous times). Steering vibrates at above 60 MPH intermittently.

Buyer Beware
By Henry on 05/26/10 15:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Elantra for almost a year, I bought it for around $4,500 in 2009. As I write this considering the age and mileage of my car I have boon somewhat lucky considering how hard I drive it. I have had some somewhat minor issues like CV joint problems and ball joint issues. Still I would definitely not recommend anyone buy one, unless it was in very good shape. Look into buying a reliable car and don't rush into buying. I wish someone would have told me this but instead I rushed and bought something cheap and I could have done better and so can you.

Good overall Deal
By Ken2400 on 02/01/10 13:04 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There is a recall on the Lower control arms due to salt in given states. Look it up. Mine failed at 137K miles. Dealer fully covered it. 5 SP GLS

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD on 12/29/09 12:25 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

Loved My Elantra
By Scott on 10/28/09 01:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had my elantra for 8.5 years and had NO problems. Started up every time. Performed routine scheduled maintenance only. I bought it straight out of college. Would not have just upgraded, except I wanted 4 wheel drive after a bad winter last year. Was worth way more to me than trade in value. Gave it to friends in need of a car.