Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Has been a GREAT little car
By paulnbedford

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Elantra new in 2001 and maybe that's the difference from everyone else's experiences on here, but our has been a great little car only letting us down once. Turned out to be the spark plugs and wires needed to be replaced. I've never seen a car jerk back and forth and act that way before in my life. Sure enough that's what the dealership said it replaced and it ran great afterwards. Unfortunately at the time it was bad enough you couldn't even drive the car though and had to be towed in. Fortunately though it was under warranty! We've both said we'd buy another Hyundai again without hesitation. It's been the best car we've ever owned other than our old Dodges from the 70's.

Simple interior design and clean lines.

Make door seals/interior pieces last longer. All the door plugs that covered the doors screws fell out within months of taking delivery of our car back in 2001. And the door seals have never stayed on the car frame.

Good old car
By powersk22

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my hyundia elentra with 80k miles on it after 9 years the car has been very reliable. I now have 150k and a few things started to fail. I went out and got a 2010 elentra because I didn't want to put more money in a car that I wasn't planning on keeping around much longer. A few bad things I've notice is the body by the wheels is rusting pretty good, and the radiator just went out. Not a huge deal as the price to get a new one is around $130 and to get it put in will cost around $300.

Loved and now hate this car
By smm7

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2007 when it had 120,000 miles on it. It now has 190,000 miles, and I'm still driving it. There are good and bad things I've encountered. Good things- I love small cars, easy to drive, gets around very well in snow storms surprisingly, and it has never had engine or tranny issues. Bad things- I've pumped tons of money in this car to keep it going. From the radiator to the belts and everything in between. And the paint is horrible. It's looks like crap and all peeled off on the hood, top, and trunk. It looks horrible now. It's still getting me places, and after 5 years, this is the longest I've had the same car, but I can't wait to get rid of it.

Small, easy to drive, gets around well.

I hope the newer models have a better paint job that lasts longer than a few years.

will not by another Hyundai
By danmyerow

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I used to own a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The car only had about 95,000 mile on it.I really liked this car. The car ran great. I got about 21 miles per gallon on it. I only had it for about 5 months untill I got in a car accident. I hit the front tire of a scooter doing about 30mph. I am ok and so was the guy on the scooter. There was damage to my front bumper, fender and my hood. My claims adjustor called me and said the car was a total loss. If you do buy this type of car do not get in accident with it because it was built on the cheap side.

The car ran Excellent. I thought the seats were comfortable.

They need to improve the quality of the body of the car.

Great car (dependable)
By mmeyering

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I am still driving it with 170K on it. Everything on it still works as it should. I have read that people thik it is bad in the snow, Well I think it has a lot to do with the tires I did a lot of research on tires and with the ones I bought the car goes GREAT in the snow. I always run 55 - 60 on the slippery roads with no trouble and I have gone through powder snow that was coming over the hood. It also handles good on dry roads as well I had it up to 120 mph and handles great. The only repairs I have made were wheel bearing and 1 fuel injector, other than that just the regular sch mat. I would buy another and do not baby it!!! It is a lot of fun to drive .

The stick shift, size and how light the car is handles great!!

Maybe an option for a bigger engine.