2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car (dependable)
By mmeyering

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I am still driving it with 170K on it. Everything on it still works as it should. I have read that people thik it is bad in the snow, Well I think it has a lot to do with the tires I did a lot of research on tires and with the ones I bought the car goes GREAT in the snow. I always run 55 - 60 on the slippery roads with no trouble and I have gone through powder snow that was coming over the hood. It also handles good on dry roads as well I had it up to 120 mph and handles great. The only repairs I have made were wheel bearing and 1 fuel injector, other than that just the regular sch mat. I would buy another and do not baby it!!! It is a lot of fun to drive .

Favorite Features

The stick shift, size and how light the car is handles great!!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe an option for a bigger engine.

Excellent commuter or first car
By Janglez

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra for about a year and a half now and have 125k on it, I'm 19 and it is my first car, but I have driven a lot of my friend's Hondas, and other I4 engine cars. My Elantra out preforms all of them, even stock. Only bad thing is when I have a car full, power lacks a little, just like any other 4 banger. Drives smooth until about 55 and vibrates a little, stops after 70. Corners great, with minimal body roll with good struts. 22 mpg average, topped out at 35 mpg on a road trip. I drive this car really hard, and only had minimal damage. Defiantly recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap reliable car that out preforms other cars in its class.

Favorite Features

Rear cup holders. excellent interior. Great gas mileage. Very easy to change oil. Decent trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

55-70 vibration. Slight lag at 4k rpm.

Good overall Deal
By Ken2400

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There is a recall on the Lower control arms due to salt in given states. Look it up. Mine failed at 137K miles. Dealer fully covered it. 5 SP GLS

Suggested Improvements

Bigger motor, more power

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Anything to fix the excessive vibrations and loud noise while driving 55 mph or more.

Loved My Elantra
By Scott

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had my elantra for 8.5 years and had NO problems. Started up every time. Performed routine scheduled maintenance only. I bought it straight out of college. Would not have just upgraded, except I wanted 4 wheel drive after a bad winter last year. Was worth way more to me than trade in value. Gave it to friends in need of a car.

Favorite Features

It was a basic car. It's reliability was what I liked the best.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension could have been better.

Great and Reliable
By crkeeler

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra brand new in February of 2001. It has proven to be the most reliable car i've ever owned. I have not had any major repairs and it runs great. I recommend this as a used car option even over 100,000 miles. Great and affordable for a high school or college student.

Great Value
By laura

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Elantra gently used in 2002, because it appeared to be the best value. And it has been. I've not had to pay for any major repairs in the 7 years and 100,000 miles I've owned. Def. the lowest cost to own car I've ever had. The car is not sexy, so I've been a bit bored with it ( since I bought it), but will keep driving until it starts needing major repairs.

Favorite Features

Very good value equation. low price+ excellent reliability+ plenty of standard features= very easy car to own.

Suggested Improvements

Personality?? This car and the whole hyundai line are totally lacking in the personality department. I love the reliability of the car, but nothing else is passion inspiring.

good for the pirce
By Z

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Elantra GLS 5-speed back in 2001. I'm in the market for a new car now, after about 8 years and 130,000. The car still runs fine, but little things like the power windows, catalytic converter, etc. have given me reason to buy another car (possibly another Hyundai). The car was 100% reliable through out most of its life so far. I have driven it through all kinds of weather conditions, and even drove it cross-country. Despite two low-impact collisions, only cosmetic damage was done; the car drove on as if though nothing happened. I still have the original clutch on it, and it works fine! I think its time to retire this one; it served its purpose, and served it well.

Favorite Features

Solid reliability; the car started wherever/whenever I was. Trunk space came in handy. It was relatively cheap to maintain. I never had any mechanical problems with the engine or transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Hyundai dealerships and their "warranty honor" are hit or miss. The interior material didn't "breathe" during humid weather. The steering never felt properly adjusted despite tire balancing, alignment, etc.

just bought it we will see
By poetry

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car today, its a beauty. I love the interior design the Windows are smoked so I dont have to get them tinted. The previous owner put in custom sound and custom rims and it drives like a dream. I bought the car with 4 recalls on it and the dealership already advised me they will fix them with no cost and provide a rental. I only gave it "8" because I've only owned it for 7 hours now.

Favorite Features

the overall look and handling

Suggested Improvements

no to suggest so far

Control arm?? Not
By dogmollie

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

100,000.00 miles nothing covered, car has 74,000 control arm broke??? Not covered, pulled out transmission, not covered. Don't buy these cars the warranty is a joke, hey they let you talk to a consumer advocate, huh right they consume your money. This was my second Hyundai first one lasted 225,000 miles and was running well when I sold it. This is my last Hyundai and I tell everyone I talk to to avoid these cars now. They changed something, and no longer need loyal consumers. Stay away from these cars.

Favorite Features

Radio

Suggested Improvements

Keep your word and warranty promises