Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Amazing Car. Tons of cool upgrades!
By Da-Mi-An

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The car is fantastic on gas mileage and is rather cheap to fill up! I love how easy the steering is along with how fun it is to drive. My brakes work great. The interior is rather ugly as is in most Elantras the good part about that is they come with so many cool options for seats and dash kits that you can purchase to really make the car feel like your own. It is a great buy and I would recommend all of my friends and family to purchase one just so they can see how comfortable and smooth driving the elantra gls really is. I do plan on purchasing a newer one this year and turning mine into a rally car. So if you wanna race lets be in touch haha.

Great car (dependable)
By mmeyering

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I am still driving it with 170K on it. Everything on it still works as it should. I have read that people thik it is bad in the snow, Well I think it has a lot to do with the tires I did a lot of research on tires and with the ones I bought the car goes GREAT
in the snow. I always run 55 - 60 on the slippery roads with no trouble and I have gone through powder snow that was coming over the hood. It also handles good on dry roads as well I had it up to 120 mph and handles great. The only repairs I have made were wheel bearing and 1 fuel injector, other than that just the regular sch mat. I would buy another and do not baby it!!! It is a lot of fun to drive .

The stick shift, size and how light the car is handles great!!

Maybe an option for a bigger engine.

Excellent commuter or first car
By Janglez

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra for about a year and a half now and have 125k on it, I'm 19 and it is my first car, but I have driven a lot of my friend's Hondas, and other I4 engine cars. My Elantra out preforms all of them, even stock. Only bad thing is when I have a car full, power lacks a little, just like any other 4 banger. Drives smooth until about 55 and vibrates a little, stops after 70. Corners great, with minimal body roll with good struts. 22 mpg average, topped out at 35 mpg on a road trip. I drive this car really hard, and only had minimal damage. Defiantly recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap reliable car that out preforms other cars in its class.

Rear cup holders. excellent interior. Great gas mileage. Very easy to change oil. Decent trunk space.

55-70 vibration. Slight lag at 4k rpm.

Good overall Deal
By Ken2400

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There is a recall on the Lower control arms due to salt in given states. Look it up. Mine failed at 137K miles. Dealer fully covered it. 5 SP GLS

Bigger motor, more power

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

None

Anything to fix the excessive vibrations and loud noise while driving 55 mph or more.