Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Has been a GREAT little car
By paulnbedford

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Elantra new in 2001 and maybe that's the difference from everyone else's experiences on here, but our has been a great little car only letting us down once. Turned out to be the spark plugs and wires needed to be replaced. I've never seen a car jerk back and forth and act that way before in my life. Sure enough that's what the dealership said it replaced and it ran great afterwards. Unfortunately at the time it was bad enough you couldn't even drive the car though and had to be towed in. Fortunately though it was under warranty! We've both said we'd buy another Hyundai again without hesitation. It's been the best car we've ever owned other than our old Dodges from the 70's.

Simple interior design and clean lines.

Make door seals/interior pieces last longer. All the door plugs that covered the doors screws fell out within months of taking delivery of our car back in 2001. And the door seals have never stayed on the car frame.

wouldnt want anything else
By drvn2mddnss

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought mine used in 2010 it had 175,000 miles on it. i change the oil every 3k it now sits at 221,200 miles and is still going strong, ive only had to replace both the front drive axles at around 75 bucks a piece and the transmission sensors that were a little salty at around 180.00 for both. but still is an awesome running vehicle i use it to commute to work. looking at a 2004 model 5 speed now to upgrade. i would recommend this car to anyone.

very roomy, my dogs love the back seat, and i can fold them down to give them both more room.

Good old car
By powersk22

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my hyundia elentra with 80k miles on it after 9 years the car has been very reliable. I now have 150k and a few things started to fail. I went out and got a 2010 elentra because I didn't want to put more money in a car that I wasn't planning on keeping around much longer. A few bad things I've notice is the body by the wheels is rusting pretty good, and the radiator just went out. Not a huge deal as the price to get a new one is around $130 and to get it put in will cost around $300.

still going strong!
By tigerbully

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Hyundai Elantra has over 340,000 miles and still kicks backside going up and over the grapevine numerous times a year. As a matter of fact it just made yet another trip from Oregon to California last month. I just had the transmission replaced and a new clutch(the second one) last week. If you maintain a car and fix it when the littlest problems comes up it will be good to you. Having said that my daughter is using this car to commute 110 miles back and forth to school 5 days a week while I am driving a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra and so is my husband that's how impressed we have been with this car. Didn't test drive or look at anything else.

The one and only improvement we can think is the power steering pump has issues. We did replace that 3 times but we buy our parts with a lifetime warranty so only paid for it once as my husband is able to put it in himself.

Loved and now hate this car
By smm7

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2007 when it had 120,000 miles on it. It now has 190,000 miles, and I'm still driving it. There are good and bad things I've encountered. Good things- I love small cars, easy to drive, gets around very well in snow storms surprisingly, and it has never had engine or tranny issues. Bad things- I've pumped tons of money in this car to keep it going. From the radiator to the belts and everything in between. And the paint is horrible. It's looks like crap and all peeled off on the hood, top, and trunk. It looks horrible now. It's still getting me places, and after 5 years, this is the longest I've had the same car, but I can't wait to get rid of it.

Small, easy to drive, gets around well.

I hope the newer models have a better paint job that lasts longer than a few years.