First New Car, First New Hyundai and not the last
By elig on
2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan
I purchased the car new Oct '99. Drove 2 Cali & back to MN a couple of times at generally 80 plus speeds. Smooth ride good economy. Wish it had ABS. It was an option but I wanted a manual & at the time Hyundai figured manual was for eco & ABS was a luxury. I had to lock up one time and put a flat spot on all 4 tyres & left an imprint of the pad on the rotors. The tranny did go at 95k (thank god for 100k warnty) The pin that holds the gears together broke. Wheel bearing (wrty) I have 126k mile would have more but I ride motorcycle alot. I thought Hyundai was junk but the 100k wrty gave me faith. I have purchased a 08 Veracuz, & thinkn bout the new Elantra just cuz 15 mpg sucks & 30 would rule
Favorite Features
The warranty has been great. Hoped to never have to use it. But have and glad it was there. The things that went bad, but really shouldn't have. Like the tranny, wheel bearing (which I didn't expect to be covered) the exhaust manifold cracked. But I think that was from a bad spark plug to blew. It has always been easy to work on. I have replaced all the suspension and front brakes on my own. I could usually do the oil change without hardly crawling under. I could reach the oil filter from above. I loved the styling and still do. The proportionality long hood and the rounded body. I liked the '01 changes especially the five door. And the new '11 is even better.
Suggested Improvements
The stock stereo had its issues. The CD player would skip on bumps. But the upgraded six speakers were good. Replaced the head unit and rear 6x9s just cuz I could. The headlights were dim, but Sylvania Silverstars took care of that problem. Having two sets of spark plug wires go bad is annoying especially when you have to replace the set and not just one. But a little electrical tape wrapped around the boot did wonders. Had the windshield washer pump go bad more then once. Partially cuz I had too much water in it and it froze cracking the pump. But once I learned how to change it. It isn't bad at all.