A pleasent surprize! To be sure...
By user560870 on
2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan
This is a great car! Payed 1k for it about a month ago, it sat for a year w/174k. Yes, it needs some work but its a runner and will make a perfect "beater". Cars in this condition that have sat and have been taken off the road running are NOT for everbody. I am a mechanic and will do most of my own repairs. I will put 500 miles on this car every week. I expect after I finish the laundry list of things to do to get about 250k or so out of it. I have seen the reviews on this site and some are rather harsh and dont understand that things fail and must be maintained. NO CAR stays running w/o investment. If a car is neglected it will disapoint the owner. It is only a machine, designed by a human!
Favorite Features
This car is very interesting, I have never owned a South Korean car. I very much like the design and the 30mpg! I have been driving a Tahoe, 15mpg, and needed to reduce my fuel consumption. Parts are cheap and avalalible. And very east to service. It was made that way, no mistake. Yes,it does have some design issues but if you look at the after this the continue to improve the product line, year after year. Another interesting thing about a Souyh Korean product is except for Great Britian, France and India,(India plans on marketing vehicles in the US) and with maybe the exception of some Nordic countrys, S.Korea has been a long standing allies. Nice to drive a car that my elders didnt fight.
Suggested Improvements
The 5 speed 5th gear ratio seams to be a little " to low". The gas mileage would be even better if the 5th gear was closer to one to one. The radio is a poor excuse. The alternator could use to be 90 or 100 amps instead of 75 amps. A better drive belt arrangement could have been designed. The center console arm rest could have had a wee bit more thought along with the cup holders and the cigar lighter. And a better sun visor. All in all not a bad car which should have more longevity then most of its peers. I would buy another without any hesitation.