Used 2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (78 reviews )

Too Good to be True
By Disgruntled

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Elantra in 2003 with just 38,000 miles on it. I thought I was getting a steal at just $5,000 for a 3 year old car...man it was a steal...stealing my money. In the five years I owned my elantra, I had to replace the engine (due to a bad thermostat), 3 different water pumps, power steering pump, alternator, and I had 3 of the power windows stop working. I fixed the driver's side door for a nice $500 chunk of change. I decided the rest weren't worth it. Gas mileage steadily declined from a nice 34 to around 20

...

Overall better quality parts

Not Bad at all
By Elizabeth

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

As a newly licensed teen with not a lot of money I needed something reliable and safe. But at the same time I couldn't afford a big SUV with high gas-mileage or a newer car. Also, I wanted something cute, but most older cars look blocky and ugly. I got it all in my trusty 2000 Elantra for a low price. I just love my car and my parents actually like it too, so win- win. I've had it since July and haven't had any problems except I had to have the spark plugs and wiring replaced and a routine oil change. It's been a great car though.

Love the look and feel of the car. Very easy maneuvering so it's a great first car.

Pick-up's not so hot, takes a while to get up to speed so not great for interstate driving. Plain interior, no cupholders in back which is a pain since I frequently give younger siblings and friends rides.

Not reliable after 100k
By Michael

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I was the 2nd owner, and had it for miles 77K through 114K. During that time, I replaced: front rotors, cracked exhaust manifold (free recall fix), plugs and wires, window regulator, o2 sensor, washer pump, horn, wiring, transmission (OUCH!). The previous owner had replaced the mass air flow sensor and throttle positions sensor. The entire exhaust rusted out too-- salt is tough up here though. Still, that's a lot of repairs for ~30K! And I did the timing belt stuff and tires, which is routine-- but it hurts to do all that and then have the tranny go.

It was zippy, fairly roomy, and handles well. I liked its performance much more than the Corolla we have in the household. But it only gets 23-27 mpg, to the '01 Corolla's 30 (both automatics). And the Corolla is insanely reliable...

Hyundai has really improved this vehicle in subsequent years. Wish they still offered a wagon. Keep making hatchbacks! The newer models are much more efficient and seem to rate well in reliability (consumer reports for the '00 are fairly poor, btw).

No Problems!
By mike332

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This has to be the best, most reliable car I have ever owned. 57,000 trouble free miles, unbelievable I know!

Great gas mileage, 32mpg average, pleanty of passing power on the highway.

Could use an improved sound system and perhaps 15" wheels with ABS as standard equipment.

No longer a good used buy
By Mike

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 65,000 miles on it, and now have 110,000. If I'd written this review before the 95K mark, it would have been a glowing review. However, since then just about everything has come apart-- the transmission (and I'm not one to push a car and don't live in the city), the power window, horn, check engine light, oxygen sensor, wiring etc. This is one of those cars that falls apart at 100K, and you're unlikely to find one with lower miles these days. The Elantra was essentially redesigned the *next* year, so the newer models may well be worth looking at.

Smooth ride, comfortable. Spacious. Decent gas mileage (28-30 mpg mixed).

They redesigned the following model year, so I suppose this is moot.