Used 2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon - Consumer Reviews

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (31 reviews )

Good Value
By HunnyCar

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Fun to drive, especially for a wagon. Handling is zippy and predictable, The 2-liter V6 is smooth and predictable. Reliability has been good at 49,000 miles, but the radio gave out early.

The price tag - lots of value for a little cash. Enjoy upscale features on a budget.

As with most cars, this one lacks stash places for cell phones, water bottles, etc.

reliable car
By Pat Schulz

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Very reliable car; very little repairs necessary. Remote entry was only problem; too costly to fix.

Remote entry should be improved

So-so
By Jordan

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought the Elantra used, though only 1 year old several years back. I just traded it in for a Kia a few weeks ago. I was surprised to find it used a lot more gas then I expected for such a light vehicle. Overall it was reliable, it ran fine when traded in and major problems never seemed to crop up. But minor things kept breaking like power windows, dash lights shorted out, dash clock shorted out, cd player broke, and the CV joints (not covered under mfg warranty) kept going even when I was careful about my driving. The interior design was nice, everything was easy to find and use, important in an emergency or when first driving a new vehicle. Outside it looked nice for a wagon.

Easy to use and find controls, everything just felt like it was in the right place. Cargo space, could fit a lot of stuff and the whole family in it at once. Cornered well for a wagon.

Better gas mileage. Better construction, especially for the electronic features. Open more dealerships, I had to drive a long way to get this car repaired and that became a major reason not to buy a Hyundai again. It can be a pain to drive a car that is already in need of repair or that is damaged.

Great Car for the Money
By Kathleen

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new in 2000 and have since driven it 140,000. It could not have been a better car to own. The gas mileage is great for my situation (a 60 mile round trip to work each day) and I have done nothing but routine maintenance. I do keep the oil changed every 3000 miles, but other than a few belts and tires, it has been maintenance free.

Gas Mileage and low maintenance costs

Review of our Hyundia Elantra Wagon.
By Ralph Jones

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Has been an excellent vehicle for us. We spent two summers traveling, 8500 and 11500 miles respectively. Very, very comfortable for it's size. Gas mileage is generally in the 28-33 mpg range. As a spunky engine which if pushed on starts will drop mpg to 25. Have run Mobil 1 which has kept wear to a minimum apparently, since doesn't require addl. oil between 3500-4000 changes. No maintence beyond standard belts, transmission oil changes every 30,000, tires and battery change.

We like the cargo space available in the wagon with the seats folded down since we travel a lot. Also, the comfort is great, especiall for a small-medium sized car.

I wish they still made this wagon. It would be even greater if it had the Hybrid like the Toyota Prius.