Used 2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (33 reviews )

Still going strong after 210,000 miles
By Bought new

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Upon deciding if I wanted a new car or not, my thought was basically this: Invest 1,200 dollars into an 8 year old car with 209,000 miles, and drive it for 2 more years, or buy a new one and have a 500 a month car payment for 3 years. I no longer drive 35,000 miles a year, so the deciding factor for me was doing a compression test on the engine. It was still well within factory specs., and it uses NO oil between oil changes. The body is still in good shape, everything still works fine. Why buy a new one? I will say I have changed the oil every 3k miles with fully synthetic oil, Slick 50 every 50,000 miles, timing belt with exterior belts every 60k, and regular tune-ups.

Small, compact, everything I need to go from point A to point B, and great gas mileage. The only problems I have had with this car in 210,000 miles is 1 window motor, 1 blower motor, 1 rear window wiper motor, and 1 wheel bearing. That's it!

None at this time. I am very happy with the quality of this car. Frankly, from someone who used to buy a new car every 3-4 years for 30 years, this is with out a doubt the most reliable car I have ever owned!

I [heart] my Hyundai!
By Petrina

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

This is the second Hyundai I've owned (first was an Excel). Bought it used 6 years ago and haven't had a major issue, just routine maintenance. The one thing that I would note with Hyundais is that some minor issues do crop up-- like, the driver's side power window is out of alignment, the lid to the storage compartment b/w the seats broke off, the front passenger door is a little tough to open no matter how much it's lubricated. Like I said, all MINOR issues. It's a VERY reliable vehicle and I would DEFINITELY buy an Elantra again.

I have the wagon and even after 8 years it's still a handsome car! Very unique.

I wish they still made the wagon!

Good Value
By HunnyCar

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Fun to drive, especially for a wagon. Handling is zippy and predictable, The 2-liter V6 is smooth and predictable. Reliability has been good at 49,000 miles, but the radio gave out early.

The price tag - lots of value for a little cash. Enjoy upscale features on a budget.

As with most cars, this one lacks stash places for cell phones, water bottles, etc.

reliable car
By Pat Schulz

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Very reliable car; very little repairs necessary. Remote entry was only problem; too costly to fix.

Remote entry should be improved

So-so
By Jordan

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought the Elantra used, though only 1 year old several years back. I just traded it in for a Kia a few weeks ago. I was surprised to find it used a lot more gas then I expected for such a light vehicle. Overall it was reliable, it ran fine when traded in and major problems never seemed to crop up. But minor things kept breaking like power windows, dash lights shorted out, dash clock shorted out, cd player broke, and the CV joints (not covered under mfg warranty) kept going even when I was careful about my driving. The interior design was nice, everything was easy to find and use, important in an emergency or when first driving a new vehicle. Outside it looked nice for a wagon.

Easy to use and find controls, everything just felt like it was in the right place. Cargo space, could fit a lot of stuff and the whole family in it at once. Cornered well for a wagon.

Better gas mileage. Better construction, especially for the electronic features. Open more dealerships, I had to drive a long way to get this car repaired and that became a major reason not to buy a Hyundai again. It can be a pain to drive a car that is already in need of repair or that is damaged.