2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (77 reviews )
Not Bad at all
By Elizabeth on 06/02/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

As a newly licensed teen with not a lot of money I needed something reliable and safe. But at the same time I couldn't afford a big SUV with high gas-mileage or a newer car. Also, I wanted something cute, but most older cars look blocky and ugly. I got it all in my trusty 2000 Elantra for a low price. I just love my car and my parents actually like it too, so win- win. I've had it since July and haven't had any problems except I had to have the spark plugs and wiring replaced and a routine oil change. It's been a great car though.

Not reliable after 100k
By Michael on 10/21/07 01:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I was the 2nd owner, and had it for miles 77K through 114K. During that time, I replaced: front rotors, cracked exhaust manifold (free recall fix), plugs and wires, window regulator, o2 sensor, washer pump, horn, wiring, transmission (OUCH!). The previous owner had replaced the mass air flow sensor and throttle positions sensor. The entire exhaust rusted out too-- salt is tough up here though. Still, that's a lot of repairs for ~30K! And I did the timing belt stuff and tires, which is routine-- but it hurts to do all that and then have the tranny go.

No Problems!
By mike332 on 08/29/07 06:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This has to be the best, most reliable car I have ever owned. 57,000 trouble free miles, unbelievable I know!

No longer a good used buy
By Mike on 07/06/07 00:50 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 65,000 miles on it, and now have 110,000. If I'd written this review before the 95K mark, it would have been a glowing review. However, since then just about everything has come apart-- the transmission (and I'm not one to push a car and don't live in the city), the power window, horn, check engine light, oxygen sensor, wiring etc. This is one of those cars that falls apart at 100K, and you're unlikely to find one with lower miles these days. The Elantra was essentially redesigned the *next* year, so the newer models may well be worth looking at.

great car
By TW on 03/07/07 17:38 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Never had any trouble with this car, I did change the timing belt at about 60000 miles and do timely maintenance as recommended. I would buy this car again.

Bought New
By akitas3 on 02/02/06 14:23 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Love my lil car. In the 5 years or ownership this car has been back to the dealer once for a recall. Otherwise no other problems.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
By Dentheman on 01/18/06 22:13 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I reviewed this car right after i bought it when i was in love with it. After a year and a half of ownership, i have realized the good and bad of this car. Replaced alternator, transmission at around 56,000 miles. Constant power window problems. Have had engine light issues for the last 5 months. My car was a flood car, but that doesn't explain issues like interior door handles snapping without warning. Bottom line: If you only have 13,000 to spend, Elantra is a good choice. If you can afford better, definitely get something else. I intend on moving up to a Camry or Accord soon.

Great Car
By Cindy on 12/21/05 18:08 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Purchased as Program Car with 25000 miles. Has been run both in city and hwy regularly. No problems with it at all. Just normal maintenance of oil changes, tires etc. Has over 100000 miles now and no sign of any problems. Gets good gas milage and great commuter car. Handles well in traffic. Highly pleased with price vs value.

reliable and easy on the pocket
By Grl_car on 11/08/05 14:25 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 5 years now and have no complaints about it. Obviously its not a sports car and should be driven as such. Its great for normal everyday commute and use. We drove it New York twoce in three years with no problems at all. The interior and exterior are holding up better than i expected and I have never had to use the warranty. Normal service and TLC does it. Very reliable, very down to earth, and extremely easy on the pocket.

Didn't know much about Hyundai....
By hyundai1st on 10/28/05 12:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

... was a little nervous buying one. I bought this car 11 mos. ago w/72000 miles on it. It now has 83000. I have had to replace front brakes/rotors, Tires, and Battery. I do a lot of up and down hill climbing and wanted to start with new rotors and brakes, Tires I nknew about when I bought it, and the Battery was originaland 5 yrs old. All regular maintenance in my opinion. I am 6'2" and 260lbs, and feel comfortable behind the wheel.