2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon - Consumer Reviews

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (31 reviews )
Sad to trade at 194,000
By tommyz504 on 08/07/13 23:05 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

This little car has performed so reliably I hate to see it go. Comfortable interior (though the cup holders are truly miserable), nice handling, zippier than you might expect. Bought used at 121,000; up to 185k car spent only one day out of service. New Orleans streets took out a U-joint at 125k; brakes at 150k, gasket at 175k, high pressure hose around the same time, 2 alternators in 6 years, and belts from time to time. Timing belt at 185k. Minor interior nuisances: rear window motors out at 130k, driver door handle failed, driver's window gasket out of line. City mpg was always a bit disappointing: steady at 18 mpg, much better on the hwy. Still, it was a great way to get around town.

100,000 wagon
By RonM on 02/06/09 16:29 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new, and hate to trade it. Put 100,000 on it without any major problems.

Great for a lil beater
By NYSchenkel on 02/04/09 07:00 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car to commute to work .. I live in upstate NY and commute to westchester, NYC and Long Island for work depending on the day. This car is great. Shifts smooth [ I got the 5spd ] I have 232,789 miles on it and it runs like it is brand new .. Everything works [ pw, pl, and mechanical ]. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone. Fun little car to drive. Although it could be easier on the eyes.

Still going strong after 210,000 miles
By Bought new on 05/20/08 14:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Upon deciding if I wanted a new car or not, my thought was basically this: Invest 1,200 dollars into an 8 year old car with 209,000 miles, and drive it for 2 more years, or buy a new one and have a 500 a month car payment for 3 years. I no longer drive 35,000 miles a year, so the deciding factor for me was doing a compression test on the engine. It was still well within factory specs., and it uses NO oil between oil changes. The body is still in good shape, everything still works fine. Why buy a new one? I will say I have changed the oil every 3k miles with fully synthetic oil, Slick 50 every 50,000 miles, timing belt with exterior belts every 60k, and regular tune-ups.

I [heart] my Hyundai!
By Petrina on 05/17/08 16:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

This is the second Hyundai I've owned (first was an Excel). Bought it used 6 years ago and haven't had a major issue, just routine maintenance. The one thing that I would note with Hyundais is that some minor issues do crop up-- like, the driver's side power window is out of alignment, the lid to the storage compartment b/w the seats broke off, the front passenger door is a little tough to open no matter how much it's lubricated. Like I said, all MINOR issues. It's a VERY reliable vehicle and I would DEFINITELY buy an Elantra again.

Good Value
By HunnyCar on 03/01/07 15:55 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Fun to drive, especially for a wagon. Handling is zippy and predictable, The 2-liter V6 is smooth and predictable. Reliability has been good at 49,000 miles, but the radio gave out early.

reliable car
By Pat Schulz on 04/02/06 03:50 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Very reliable car; very little repairs necessary. Remote entry was only problem; too costly to fix.

So-so
By Jordan on 01/25/06 10:16 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought the Elantra used, though only 1 year old several years back. I just traded it in for a Kia a few weeks ago. I was surprised to find it used a lot more gas then I expected for such a light vehicle. Overall it was reliable, it ran fine when traded in and major problems never seemed to crop up. But minor things kept breaking like power windows, dash lights shorted out, dash clock shorted out, cd player broke, and the CV joints (not covered under mfg warranty) kept going even when I was careful about my driving. The interior design was nice, everything was easy to find and use, important in an emergency or when first driving a new vehicle. Outside it looked nice for a wagon.

Great Car for the Money
By Kathleen on 01/19/06 08:46 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new in 2000 and have since driven it 140,000. It could not have been a better car to own. The gas mileage is great for my situation (a 60 mile round trip to work each day) and I have done nothing but routine maintenance. I do keep the oil changed every 3000 miles, but other than a few belts and tires, it has been maintenance free.

Review of our Hyundia Elantra Wagon.
By Ralph Jones on 12/22/05 15:32 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Has been an excellent vehicle for us. We spent two summers traveling, 8500 and 11500 miles respectively. Very, very comfortable for it's size. Gas mileage is generally in the 28-33 mpg range. As a spunky engine which if pushed on starts will drop mpg to 25. Have run Mobil 1 which has kept wear to a minimum apparently, since doesn't require addl. oil between 3500-4000 changes. No maintence beyond standard belts, transmission oil changes every 30,000, tires and battery change.