Used 2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (77 reviews )

Mine just died...
By 00elantra

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Elantra in '05 (and it's actually an automatic transmission - not given that option in dropdown box), and it has officially died right at 150,000 miles. The head gasket is leaking - I could replace for about $1,200, but I'm not. AC compressor happens to be leaking / needs replacement also at this time. It was a fine little car while it lasted. Only major repairs prior to this were: front strut mounts at 120k miles; entire radiator replaced at 100k; CV joint / axle joint issues couple times (not a big deal); went through many tires & car pulled most of the time. Very little mechanical issues.

Decent sized trunk. 25 MPG consistently. Reliable. Cheap. Great value.

Cup holders in front are in an awkward spot. Issues with accessories - poor build quality: a power window stopped working; passenger door became difficult to unlock; remote door unlock stopped working very early on.

love this car
By wchowells

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my wife in 2006 and she loves it, it had 55,000 miles on and it 204,000 miles in it know, have had a few issues but overall a great car, Not much for foreign cars but I like this one, Did have to have automatic transmission rebuilt at about 150,000 miles, but other wise would consider buying again. still gets great gas mileage to.

A pleasent surprize! To be sure...
By user560870

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This is a great car! Payed 1k for it about a month ago, it sat for a year w/174k. Yes, it needs some work but its a runner and will make a perfect "beater". Cars in this condition that have sat and have been taken off the road running are NOT for everbody. I am a mechanic and will do most of my own repairs. I will put 500 miles on this car every week. I expect after I finish the laundry list of things to do to get about 250k or so out of it. I have seen the reviews on this site and some are rather harsh and dont understand that things fail and must be maintained. NO CAR stays running w/o investment. If a car is neglected it will disapoint the owner. It is only a machine, designed by a human!

This car is very interesting, I have never owned a South Korean car. I very much like the design and the 30mpg! I have been driving a Tahoe, 15mpg, and needed to reduce my fuel consumption. Parts are cheap and avalalible. And very east to service. It was made that way, no mistake. Yes,it does have some design issues but if you look at the after this the continue to improve the product line, year after year. Another interesting thing about a Souyh Korean product is except for Great Britian, France and India,(India plans on marketing vehicles in the US) and with maybe the exception of some Nordic countrys, S.Korea has been a long standing allies. Nice to drive a car that my elders didnt fight.

The 5 speed 5th gear ratio seams to be a little " to low". The gas mileage would be even better if the 5th gear was closer to one to one. The radio is a poor excuse. The alternator could use to be 90 or 100 amps instead of 75 amps. A better drive belt arrangement could have been designed. The center console arm rest could have had a wee bit more thought along with the cup holders and the cigar lighter. And a better sun visor. All in all not a bad car which should have more longevity then most of its peers. I would buy another without any hesitation.

I Am Up And Down With My Car, But I Love It!
By eddied1991

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I actually have an automatic. I bought this car completely on a whim, one because I was pressured to, and two, because it would have been my first car and I had recently got my license. The car ran great during the first year I had it, then I started noticing some transmission issues, but they are an easy but costly fix. I only had to replace the spark plugs and wires. I bought the car at 126k miles, and I now have 144k on it and it still runs like a charm. Both windows in the back have a shot motor, and the interior isn't the best, but I have driven this car everywhere and it still does me good.

The stereo still sounds great for my car being 11 years old. Plus my car has some great pick up.

Headlights that won't turn yellow from the sun :P

First New Car, First New Hyundai and not the last
By elig

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new Oct '99. Drove 2 Cali & back to MN a couple of times at generally 80 plus speeds. Smooth ride good economy. Wish it had ABS. It was an option but I wanted a manual & at the time Hyundai figured manual was for eco & ABS was a luxury. I had to lock up one time and put a flat spot on all 4 tyres & left an imprint of the pad on the rotors. The tranny did go at 95k (thank god for 100k warnty) The pin that holds the gears together broke. Wheel bearing (wrty) I have 126k mile would have more but I ride motorcycle alot. I thought Hyundai was junk but the 100k wrty gave me faith. I have purchased a 08 Veracuz, & thinkn bout the new Elantra just cuz 15 mpg sucks & 30 would rule

The warranty has been great. Hoped to never have to use it. But have and glad it was there. The things that went bad, but really shouldn't have. Like the tranny, wheel bearing (which I didn't expect to be covered) the exhaust manifold cracked. But I think that was from a bad spark plug to blew. It has always been easy to work on. I have replaced all the suspension and front brakes on my own. I could usually do the oil change without hardly crawling under. I could reach the oil filter from above. I loved the styling and still do. The proportionality long hood and the rounded body. I liked the '01 changes especially the five door. And the new '11 is even better.

The stock stereo had its issues. The CD player would skip on bumps. But the upgraded six speakers were good. Replaced the head unit and rear 6x9s just cuz I could. The headlights were dim, but Sylvania Silverstars took care of that problem. Having two sets of spark plug wires go bad is annoying especially when you have to replace the set and not just one. But a little electrical tape wrapped around the boot did wonders. Had the windshield washer pump go bad more then once. Partially cuz I had too much water in it and it froze cracking the pump. But once I learned how to change it. It isn't bad at all.