2000 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Sad to trade at 194,000
By tommyz504 on 08/07/13 23:05 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Wagon

This little car has performed so reliably I hate to see it go. Comfortable interior (though the cup holders are truly miserable), nice handling, zippier than you might expect. Bought used at 121,000; up to 185k car spent only one day out of service. New Orleans streets took out a U-joint at 125k; brakes at 150k, gasket at 175k, high pressure hose around the same time, 2 alternators in 6 years, and belts from time to time. Timing belt at 185k. Minor interior nuisances: rear window motors out at 130k, driver door handle failed, driver's window gasket out of line. City mpg was always a bit disappointing: steady at 18 mpg, much better on the hwy. Still, it was a great way to get around town.

Mine just died...
By 00elantra on 06/17/13 13:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Elantra in '05 (and it's actually an automatic transmission - not given that option in dropdown box), and it has officially died right at 150,000 miles. The head gasket is leaking - I could replace for about $1,200, but I'm not. AC compressor happens to be leaking / needs replacement also at this time. It was a fine little car while it lasted. Only major repairs prior to this were: front strut mounts at 120k miles; entire radiator replaced at 100k; CV joint / axle joint issues couple times (not a big deal); went through many tires & car pulled most of the time. Very little mechanical issues.

love this car
By wchowells on 11/18/12 09:53 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my wife in 2006 and she loves it, it had 55,000 miles on and it 204,000 miles in it know, have had a few issues but overall a great car, Not much for foreign cars but I like this one, Did have to have automatic transmission rebuilt at about 150,000 miles, but other wise would consider buying again. still gets great gas mileage to.

A pleasent surprize! To be sure...
By user560870 on 08/16/12 22:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

This is a great car! Payed 1k for it about a month ago, it sat for a year w/174k. Yes, it needs some work but its a runner and will make a perfect "beater". Cars in this condition that have sat and have been taken off the road running are NOT for everbody. I am a mechanic and will do most of my own repairs. I will put 500 miles on this car every week. I expect after I finish the laundry list of things to do to get about 250k or so out of it. I have seen the reviews on this site and some are rather harsh and dont understand that things fail and must be maintained. NO CAR stays running w/o investment. If a car is neglected it will disapoint the owner. It is only a machine, designed by a human!

I Am Up And Down With My Car, But I Love It!
By eddied1991 on 12/09/11 13:49 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I actually have an automatic. I bought this car completely on a whim, one because I was pressured to, and two, because it would have been my first car and I had recently got my license. The car ran great during the first year I had it, then I started noticing some transmission issues, but they are an easy but costly fix. I only had to replace the spark plugs and wires. I bought the car at 126k miles, and I now have 144k on it and it still runs like a charm. Both windows in the back have a shot motor, and the interior isn't the best, but I have driven this car everywhere and it still does me good.

First New Car, First New Hyundai and not the last
By elig on 03/15/11 17:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new Oct '99. Drove 2 Cali & back to MN a couple of times at generally 80 plus speeds. Smooth ride good economy. Wish it had ABS. It was an option but I wanted a manual & at the time Hyundai figured manual was for eco & ABS was a luxury. I had to lock up one time and put a flat spot on all 4 tyres & left an imprint of the pad on the rotors. The tranny did go at 95k (thank god for 100k warnty) The pin that holds the gears together broke. Wheel bearing (wrty) I have 126k mile would have more but I ride motorcycle alot. I thought Hyundai was junk but the 100k wrty gave me faith. I have purchased a 08 Veracuz, & thinkn bout the new Elantra just cuz 15 mpg sucks & 30 would rule

Over 10 years of reliability so far
By corky on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Even though I have put very little mileage on this car (26,000 in the past over 10 yrs.) it has been very reliable for my needs. The only repairs I've had to deal with other than field mice chewing wiring, was some sort of valve failure in the emissions system when the car reached the age of 10 years..(a $240 job). Oh, and the cover came off the catalytic converter awhile back, but both the dealer and my local mechanic assure me it's okay as long as don't park on long grass which I wouldn't do anyway even with the cover on. I seem to get way better mileage claims and I only use it for around town errands (obviously by the low mileage). I hate to give it up.

Falling apart
By janey on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2004. The window switch for one window was broken and the speedometer had been replaced around 14,000 miles. Since then, the switch to another window, as well as the regulators to two windows, have died. An outside door handle broke off. The transmission went out in 2006 (a bearing "disintegrated," according to the technician) and is going out again now (2010). The computer is dying and the throttle position sensor. There is a short in the dash that makes the interior lights come on and off randomly, and sometimes a little puff of smoke comes out of the steering column. The seating is uncomfortable and the cup holders are in front of the stereo.

185,000 miles and still going strong!
By Blondie on 06/08/10 10:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used in 2002 and have not had any problems with it whatsoever except the front middle console lid breaking off since I bought it. I have 185,000 miles on my car and have never had anything go wrong with it (knock on wood). I would highly recommend this car to any commuter. Best car I've ever owned. If Hyundai made an AWD car instead of the larger SUVs I'd go out and buy one in a heartbeat!

Great Car !!
By Freddie on 12/23/09 08:21 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Well I just rolled over 200K with mine. Bought this thing in 2001 with just a few thousand on it ( demo car) and have never had any trouble with this car. Never put me on the side of the road ( besides a broken belt twice) and has given me great MPG even though i tend to drive fast. It has been wrecked 4 times and even with hard hits in the back all that was replaced was a trunk and back bumper. If your looking for a used car with great MPG ( almost 30 )and reliability then I highly suggest this model.