Used 2000 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Sad to trade at 194,000
By tommyz504

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Wagon

This little car has performed so reliably I hate to see it go. Comfortable interior (though the cup holders are truly miserable), nice handling, zippier than you might expect. Bought used at 121,000; up to 185k car spent only one day out of service. New Orleans streets took out a U-joint at 125k; brakes at 150k, gasket at 175k, high pressure hose around the same time, 2 alternators in 6 years, and belts from time to time. Timing belt at 185k. Minor interior nuisances: rear window motors out at 130k, driver door handle failed, driver's window gasket out of line. City mpg was always a bit disappointing: steady at 18 mpg, much better on the hwy. Still, it was a great way to get around town.

Favorite Features

This car had great cargo capacity for its size. It was a comfortable ride and fun to drive. The exterior style was strikingly unusual. This car's audio system had really good sound for a standard package (6 speaker). The a/c was powerful enough for New Orleans, and ran every day for 6 years (even in December).

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of the accessories was a problem, and fuel efficiency could have been better for this little car.

Mine just died...
By 00elantra

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Elantra in '05 (and it's actually an automatic transmission - not given that option in dropdown box), and it has officially died right at 150,000 miles. The head gasket is leaking - I could replace for about $1,200, but I'm not. AC compressor happens to be leaking / needs replacement also at this time. It was a fine little car while it lasted. Only major repairs prior to this were: front strut mounts at 120k miles; entire radiator replaced at 100k; CV joint / axle joint issues couple times (not a big deal); went through many tires & car pulled most of the time. Very little mechanical issues.

Favorite Features

Decent sized trunk. 25 MPG consistently. Reliable. Cheap. Great value.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in front are in an awkward spot. Issues with accessories - poor build quality: a power window stopped working; passenger door became difficult to unlock; remote door unlock stopped working very early on.

love this car
By wchowells

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my wife in 2006 and she loves it, it had 55,000 miles on and it 204,000 miles in it know, have had a few issues but overall a great car, Not much for foreign cars but I like this one, Did have to have automatic transmission rebuilt at about 150,000 miles, but other wise would consider buying again. still gets great gas mileage to.

A pleasent surprize! To be sure...
By user560870

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

This is a great car! Payed 1k for it about a month ago, it sat for a year w/174k. Yes, it needs some work but its a runner and will make a perfect "beater". Cars in this condition that have sat and have been taken off the road running are NOT for everbody. I am a mechanic and will do most of my own repairs. I will put 500 miles on this car every week. I expect after I finish the laundry list of things to do to get about 250k or so out of it. I have seen the reviews on this site and some are rather harsh and dont understand that things fail and must be maintained. NO CAR stays running w/o investment. If a car is neglected it will disapoint the owner. It is only a machine, designed by a human!

Favorite Features

This car is very interesting, I have never owned a South Korean car. I very much like the design and the 30mpg! I have been driving a Tahoe, 15mpg, and needed to reduce my fuel consumption. Parts are cheap and avalalible. And very east to service. It was made that way, no mistake. Yes,it does have some design issues but if you look at the after this the continue to improve the product line, year after year. Another interesting thing about a Souyh Korean product is except for Great Britian, France and India,(India plans on marketing vehicles in the US) and with maybe the exception of some Nordic countrys, S.Korea has been a long standing allies. Nice to drive a car that my elders didnt fight.

Suggested Improvements

The 5 speed 5th gear ratio seams to be a little " to low". The gas mileage would be even better if the 5th gear was closer to one to one. The radio is a poor excuse. The alternator could use to be 90 or 100 amps instead of 75 amps. A better drive belt arrangement could have been designed. The center console arm rest could have had a wee bit more thought along with the cup holders and the cigar lighter. And a better sun visor. All in all not a bad car which should have more longevity then most of its peers. I would buy another without any hesitation.

I Am Up And Down With My Car, But I Love It!
By eddied1991

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I actually have an automatic. I bought this car completely on a whim, one because I was pressured to, and two, because it would have been my first car and I had recently got my license. The car ran great during the first year I had it, then I started noticing some transmission issues, but they are an easy but costly fix. I only had to replace the spark plugs and wires. I bought the car at 126k miles, and I now have 144k on it and it still runs like a charm. Both windows in the back have a shot motor, and the interior isn't the best, but I have driven this car everywhere and it still does me good.

Favorite Features

The stereo still sounds great for my car being 11 years old. Plus my car has some great pick up.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights that won't turn yellow from the sun :P