1999 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Nightmare on Wheels

1999 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GL Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Nightmare on Wheels
By brian rawson on

1999 Hyundai Elantra GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost 3yrs ago for 2500 with 62k mi. From the start it had a bad hub bearing, a few months later the ignition coil went, i've changed brakes at least 2 or 3 times and changed the spark plugs more times than i can count. Every time i turned around something else was going wrong. I did all the maint fluid changes etc and still at 90k the trans started to go. it has 117k on it now and is on its last leg. Dont buy this car, it was my 2nd elantra and i should have learned the first time. I will give it credit for still running after all its problems but hyundai's are cheap for a reason there's a reason why you get the 100k warranty, don't expect more than that out of it.

Favorite Features

cruise control, design, ac(never had to fix it once),pretty big trunk and interior, decent gas mileage. I love/hate the car it's just frustrating to own.

Suggested Improvements

Better Transmission! Make a trans that can at least do 100k before braking down! Better quality parts, hyundai's are under 10k for a reason, cheaply built and not reliable in the long run. It'll brake down before you can pay it off. They're cut and cheap but overall bad cars. Look elsewhere.