Used 1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Best Car Ever
By TWHITE

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I recommend this car to anyone that is looking for something reliable but stylish. This car is great for long distance road trip and for short inner city driving. I purchased this car brand new and with over 120k miles it is still running great. I am looking to upgrade my Hyundai Elantra to a Sonata. But this car is well worth it for anyone single, married, with or without children.

Favorite Features

Stylish body style...

Suggested Improvements

The windows... Even though I have read other reviews about the windows I have only had to replace mines once.

Bad Investment
By brian rawson

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and had nothing but problems with it from the start. It had 62K on it, and about every 3 months something would be going wrong with it. From hub bearings, to cv joints, cheap brakes & electrical problems, this car was a hassle to own. I did all the standard maintenence, fluid/filter changes, belts etc. It still ran terrible. Then at 90k the transmission started to give out, and I finally traded it in with 115k on it. Very sad that a car I kept so well maintained couldn't even make it to 100k before breaking down. There's a reason they sell you the 100k warranty, with cheap cars like this you will definitely need it. What do you expect for under $10,000?

Favorite Features

Cruise control, power windows & locks, exterior design of the car(not bad). My other favorite feature was when I got rid of it. I now own a 1991 Ford Escort with 48k original miles, and it runs a thousand times better than my old Elantra ever did.

Suggested Improvements

Everything! Half the cost of manufacturing the car went into the int/ext design! Stupidity! Spend that money on making the car dependable! Cheap aluminum alloy S Korean parts that wear out too quick. Piece of junk, don't waste your time with this nightmare of a car.

Nightmare on Wheels
By brian rawson

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost 3yrs ago for 2500 with 62k mi. From the start it had a bad hub bearing, a few months later the ignition coil went, i've changed brakes at least 2 or 3 times and changed the spark plugs more times than i can count. Every time i turned around something else was going wrong. I did all the maint fluid changes etc and still at 90k the trans started to go. it has 117k on it now and is on its last leg. Dont buy this car, it was my 2nd elantra and i should have learned the first time. I will give it credit for still running after all its problems but hyundai's are cheap for a reason there's a reason why you get the 100k warranty, don't expect more than that out of it.

Favorite Features

cruise control, design, ac(never had to fix it once),pretty big trunk and interior, decent gas mileage. I love/hate the car it's just frustrating to own.

Suggested Improvements

Better Transmission! Make a trans that can at least do 100k before braking down! Better quality parts, hyundai's are under 10k for a reason, cheaply built and not reliable in the long run. It'll brake down before you can pay it off. They're cut and cheap but overall bad cars. Look elsewhere.

Replacement clutches are NO GOOD!!
By K Mills

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My son bought this 99 Elantra in 12/03 during his last yr of high school. It had about 23k miles on it, now has almost 90k. Usual maintenance, tires, brakes once and thought it would get him through college. Wrong! Replaced the clutch 5/06 and it had to be replaced again 1/07 - less than 8 months later, no change in driving habits or mileage. Now we can't unload this thing to save our lives and the blasted clutch is acting up again... Oh, and the inside door handles aren't the best either. They just come off in your hand - no "man- handling" necessary. Have replaced 3 of those.

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage, pretty reliable except for clutch and door handles.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality OEM replacement parts (clutch!!!), sturdier door handles instead of the flimsy ones.

Great car for the money
By Joe D

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1999 and we love it! It is still fun to drive after 6 years and we have had no major issues after 70,000 miles. All we do is change the oil. Still have original brakes, just changed the tires once. Great options, and the upgraded stereo system is great. Overall, we could not have asked for more from this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Upgraded stereo, sporty appearance, good pep

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage could be better