Used 1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Most Helpful|
Bad Investment
By brian rawson

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and had nothing but problems with it from the start. It had 62K on it, and about every 3 months something would be going wrong with it. From hub bearings, to cv joints, cheap brakes & electrical problems, this car was a hassle to own. I did all the standard maintenence, fluid/filter changes, belts etc. It still ran terrible. Then at 90k the transmission started to give out, and I finally traded it in with 115k on it. Very sad that a car I kept so well maintained couldn't even make it to 100k before breaking down. There's a reason they sell you the 100k warranty, with cheap cars like this you will definitely need it. What do you expect for under $10,000?

Favorite Features

Cruise control, power windows & locks, exterior design of the car(not bad). My other favorite feature was when I got rid of it. I now own a 1991 Ford Escort with 48k original miles, and it runs a thousand times better than my old Elantra ever did.

Suggested Improvements

Everything! Half the cost of manufacturing the car went into the int/ext design! Stupidity! Spend that money on making the car dependable! Cheap aluminum alloy S Korean parts that wear out too quick. Piece of junk, don't waste your time with this nightmare of a car.

Good Deal and Great Reliability
By Anonymous

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchase my car with 100 K miles on it. Now it has 215 K on it and it is still going strong. I am looking for another vehicle right now and possibly going to purchase another Hyundai. It has been super reliable and has only needed general maintainence.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Great Prices!

Suggested Improvements

Dash lights need to have lights on climate control.

Sorry to see it go...
By S Bianchi

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been in our family since the beginning; I got it as a gift with 130,000 miles on it. Unbelievably reliable car; average in comfort...this is not the car for long road trips (your back WILL hurt!) Suspension was average, but you don't buy this car for style and "fun factor" - it's an inexpensive, reliable about town automobile. Timing belt broke like clockwork every 80,000 miles. It was still running strong this week when I sold it for $1,100 and 191,849 miles on it. Gas mileage was exceptional at 28/35. Didn't want to sell but couldn't keep showing up at client meetings with a rusty car. I was so impressed with this car that I replaced it with a 2008 Hyundai Elantra.

Favorite Features

Reliability - hardly ever had a mechanical problem Fuel economy - when gas was at $425 per gallon, it was still less than $35 to fill the tank.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders only hold a can of soda and are positioned badly! Washer motor was replaced every year due to poor placement in the wheel well (NY state salt ruined them every year) Cabin noise - louder than normal No "Lights are on" bell Cruise control sometimes had a "gas/brake" problem

Awesome 1st car!
By avi8r

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my first car that I ever owned. I can remember seeing it sitting in the used car lot while going to high school. I loved the way it looked and at the time(2001) it was only 2 years old(99). After graduating I went and looked at it. Has 8,000 miles on it and I bought it. Family was hesitant since it was a Hyundai. I didn't car. It was a fantastic car to go back and forth to school every week. Round trip was 400 miles a week. Traded it on a new 04 Elantra that was left over in 05. The 99 NEVER gave me a problem and was bullet proof. As was my 04 Elantra until I traded it for a 06 Sonata that was new. Still drive the 06 Sonata. Love Hyundais!

Favorite Features

reliability gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

were addressed in the 01 model

The Next Best Thing to a Civic
By Ramon H. Herron

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This car was a very good buy got it for 2700 fully loaded sunroof, cd player, check this even had an viper security system. I had no Major problem out of this car just regular stuff brakes, oil, tune up car has over 190,000 plus on it car still get me to and from work. A very good car is u keep it up. Tip please have u timing chain and water pump replaced at 100k

Favorite Features

love the zippy engine, compact very fun to drive, ease to work on, very low cost of ownership, love the styling

Suggested Improvements

more hp, the front seats, power window assembly