1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Overall Dependable Car
By Karen on 09/08/06 21:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This has been a dependable car. I bought this car at the 30,000 mile range. It's no good for comfort on long road trips. Seat's are uncomfortable if sitting in for more than a 1/2 hour or so. Overall for the price you can't beat it. It has over 80,000 on it now and not ready for brakes yet. Just normal oil and maintenance keeps you running in one of these Elantras.

Wow
By jcouture on 02/11/06 02:34 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I used this car for my 100 mile trip to Boston and surrounding area. I'm a lead foot and always beat this poor car every day. Now it has 250,000 miles and it still runs great! I have had allot of transmission problems. Other than that, all it's needed is a wheel bearing and an altornator. If you are a courier, buy this car! It's perfect for zipping arround the city, and it's more powerfull than I expected.

Tremendous value, remarkable performance
By DP on 10/07/05 01:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased new in May 1999. Have over 80000 miles on it. For less than $13k, this a very capable car for commuters and first-time drivers. Nicely designed. Very reliable, no major problems or repairs. Good convenience and safety features overall, but compared to later models some drivers will want more. This car DOES require scheduled maintenance, like tuneups, oil changes, fluids, etc., in order to operate efficiently. Gas mileage has steadily decreased since when new. Stock stereo has fair sound quality. Road noise is loud for passengers and driver alike. Engine noise is quite loud at more than 50% throttle. OK for long trips. Overall, this car has held up pretty well over the past 6 years

Good Car for the Money!
By Eric on 03/23/05 11:28 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for a few years now and have had no major problems with it.

Economical & Reliable
By Smhromeo on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. Engine has been great and with over 100,000 miles, still runs like it is new. Never broke down. Recently replaced spark plug wires and battery, but no other problems with engine. Always kept up with scheduled maintenance. Came with Michelin tires and lasted 55,000 miles. Replaced brakes for the first time at 80,000. Spent very little out of pocket. Did get extended warranty to 100,000 and did use it to replace the retractors on the windows. GOOD CAR FOR THE PRICE!

All about the Warranty, Extend to 100K
By YippySkippy on 09/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

It is all about the Warranty, Extend to 100K miles, Hyundai has probably put $5,000 in warranty work in our vehicle. It is now at 95,000 and running just fine. Power windows break all the time and some serious transmission and engine problems happened. Thank goodness for the warranty. I paid for the car brand new and have paid for oil changes and the 30K, 60K and 90K services and the car keeps running. There is an inconvenience cost associated with a Hyundai trying to claim on all the problems. So without the warranty, the vehicle is a big risk.

Sell before warenty ends
By ChandlerSunDevil on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Gas mileage getting worse as car ages, expensive to repair, rubber and plastic parts already crumbling from the heat here in Phoenix. Had to replace front strut mounts @ 60k due to rubber rot. Very poor quality materials. Lots of rattles, paint on front bumper oxidizing badly from sun despite lots of wax. Car aging very fast. Good college/school car but get a real car fast afterwords. Once bumper to bumper warranty expires the depreciation of value and cost of repairs make car a very bad choice. Long wait for parts for major repairs such as bodywork.

Great Car
By Will S on 06/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had a great experience with this car.

Great Car
By peachferrari on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 40,000 miles on it. Shortly after, the check engine light came on, and I had to get the catalytic converter replaced. I was able to do it in Utah, as the Las Vegas dealer I went to didn't give me the time of day. Other than that, it has been great. Love the peppy engine and my aftermarket CD player sounds good with the speakers.

My Excellent Car
By Morgalis on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love my car. It is the first "New" car that I have bought and if I plan on buying a new one I will probably buy a new Elantra or upgrade to another Hyundai. They are wonderful cars to drive and so reliable!!!