1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Awesome 1st car!
By avi8r on 12/08/14 07:24 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my first car that I ever owned. I can remember seeing it sitting in the used car lot while going to high school. I loved the way it looked and at the time(2001) it was only 2 years old(99). After graduating I went and looked at it. Has 8,000 miles on it and I bought it. Family was hesitant since it was a Hyundai. I didn't car. It was a fantastic car to go back and forth to school every week. Round trip was 400 miles a week. Traded it on a new 04 Elantra that was left over in 05. The 99 NEVER gave me a problem and was bullet proof. As was my 04 Elantra until I traded it for a 06 Sonata that was new. Still drive the 06 Sonata. Love Hyundais!

Good Deal and Great Reliability
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchase my car with 100 K miles on it. Now it has 215 K on it and it is still going strong. I am looking for another vehicle right now and possibly going to purchase another Hyundai. It has been super reliable and has only needed general maintainence.

Sorry to see it go...
By S Bianchi on 06/20/09 18:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been in our family since the beginning; I got it as a gift with 130,000 miles on it. Unbelievably reliable car; average in comfort...this is not the car for long road trips (your back WILL hurt!) Suspension was average, but you don't buy this car for style and "fun factor" - it's an inexpensive, reliable about town automobile. Timing belt broke like clockwork every 80,000 miles. It was still running strong this week when I sold it for $1,100 and 191,849 miles on it. Gas mileage was exceptional at 28/35. Didn't want to sell but couldn't keep showing up at client meetings with a rusty car. I was so impressed with this car that I replaced it with a 2008 Hyundai Elantra.

The Next Best Thing to a Civic
By Ramon H. Herron on 01/31/09 12:01 PM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This car was a very good buy got it for 2700 fully loaded sunroof, cd player, check this even had an viper security system. I had no Major problem out of this car just regular stuff brakes, oil, tune up car has over 190,000 plus on it car still get me to and from work. A very good car is u keep it up. Tip please have u timing chain and water pump replaced at 100k

what a sweethart
By ray on 11/23/08 00:45 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The only problems I have ever had with this car is the total lack of quality of the dealer mechanics that worked on it for warranty claims.They caused more damage than they fixed. I'll stick to doing my own repairs its safer and less expensive. As a matter of fact this car has over 110,000 miles, driven 70 miles round trip each day and I just replaced the front disc pads not because they were worn out but the backer pads rusted out from the road salt in Maine.I LOVE this car and just bought my wife a 2007 Sonata. Great car. Great warranty, fun to drive, and reliable. no major problems to date. 10 years later.

Best Car Ever
By TWHITE on 07/07/08 07:19 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I recommend this car to anyone that is looking for something reliable but stylish. This car is great for long distance road trip and for short inner city driving. I purchased this car brand new and with over 120k miles it is still running great. I am looking to upgrade my Hyundai Elantra to a Sonata. But this car is well worth it for anyone single, married, with or without children.

Bad Investment
By brian rawson on 02/27/08 07:43 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and had nothing but problems with it from the start. It had 62K on it, and about every 3 months something would be going wrong with it. From hub bearings, to cv joints, cheap brakes & electrical problems, this car was a hassle to own. I did all the standard maintenence, fluid/filter changes, belts etc. It still ran terrible. Then at 90k the transmission started to give out, and I finally traded it in with 115k on it. Very sad that a car I kept so well maintained couldn't even make it to 100k before breaking down. There's a reason they sell you the 100k warranty, with cheap cars like this you will definitely need it. What do you expect for under $10,000?

Nightmare on Wheels
By brian rawson on 09/25/07 20:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost 3yrs ago for 2500 with 62k mi. From the start it had a bad hub bearing, a few months later the ignition coil went, i've changed brakes at least 2 or 3 times and changed the spark plugs more times than i can count. Every time i turned around something else was going wrong. I did all the maint fluid changes etc and still at 90k the trans started to go. it has 117k on it now and is on its last leg. Dont buy this car, it was my 2nd elantra and i should have learned the first time. I will give it credit for still running after all its problems but hyundai's are cheap for a reason there's a reason why you get the 100k warranty, don't expect more than that out of it.

Replacement clutches are NO GOOD!!
By K Mills on 04/07/07 21:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My son bought this 99 Elantra in 12/03 during his last yr of high school. It had about 23k miles on it, now has almost 90k. Usual maintenance, tires, brakes once and thought it would get him through college. Wrong! Replaced the clutch 5/06 and it had to be replaced again 1/07 - less than 8 months later, no change in driving habits or mileage. Now we can't unload this thing to save our lives and the blasted clutch is acting up again... Oh, and the inside door handles aren't the best either. They just come off in your hand - no "man- handling" necessary. Have replaced 3 of those.

Great car for the money
By Joe D on 11/12/06 15:51 PM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1999 and we love it! It is still fun to drive after 6 years and we have had no major issues after 70,000 miles. All we do is change the oil. Still have original brakes, just changed the tires once. Great options, and the upgraded stereo system is great. Overall, we could not have asked for more from this vehicle.