Used 1999 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Awesome 1st car!
By avi8r

1999 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my first car that I ever owned. I can remember seeing it sitting in the used car lot while going to high school. I loved the way it looked and at the time(2001) it was only 2 years old(99). After graduating I went and looked at it. Has 8,000 miles on it and I bought it. Family was hesitant since it was a Hyundai. I didn't car. It was a fantastic car to go back and forth to school every week. Round trip was 400 miles a week. Traded it on a new 04 Elantra that was left over in 05. The 99 NEVER gave me a problem and was bullet proof. As was my 04 Elantra until I traded it for a 06 Sonata that was new. Still drive the 06 Sonata. Love Hyundais!

Favorite Features

reliability gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

were addressed in the 01 model

Good Deal and Great Reliability
By Anonymous

1999 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchase my car with 100 K miles on it. Now it has 215 K on it and it is still going strong. I am looking for another vehicle right now and possibly going to purchase another Hyundai. It has been super reliable and has only needed general maintainence.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Great Prices!

Suggested Improvements

Dash lights need to have lights on climate control.

Enjoying this car after 11 years
By gloryglo

1999 Hyundai Elantra GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car when Hyundai just started giving their 100,000 mile warranty after having some bad reviews previously. My choice was between a Honda Civic, which I had before and the Hyundai Elantra wagon which was 2000 less in price with only a 3 year warranty. I took a chance and bought the Hyundai. (both choices were manual shift which I always drive). I made the right choice and have been very happy with this car. I do all short trips, no highway driving. I just had to replace the clutch at 45,000. My first big expense. It now drives like a new car. very peppy! All other repairs have been normal wear and tear. Oil changes only $10 at dealership. I'm happy!

Favorite Features

Wagon provides plenty of room for whatever I need to haul. Garden stuff, mower, groceries etc.

Suggested Improvements

None

Sorry to see it go...
By S Bianchi

1999 Hyundai Elantra GL 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been in our family since the beginning; I got it as a gift with 130,000 miles on it. Unbelievably reliable car; average in comfort...this is not the car for long road trips (your back WILL hurt!) Suspension was average, but you don't buy this car for style and "fun factor" - it's an inexpensive, reliable about town automobile. Timing belt broke like clockwork every 80,000 miles. It was still running strong this week when I sold it for $1,100 and 191,849 miles on it. Gas mileage was exceptional at 28/35. Didn't want to sell but couldn't keep showing up at client meetings with a rusty car. I was so impressed with this car that I replaced it with a 2008 Hyundai Elantra.

Favorite Features

Reliability - hardly ever had a mechanical problem Fuel economy - when gas was at $425 per gallon, it was still less than $35 to fill the tank.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders only hold a can of soda and are positioned badly! Washer motor was replaced every year due to poor placement in the wheel well (NY state salt ruined them every year) Cabin noise - louder than normal No "Lights are on" bell Cruise control sometimes had a "gas/brake" problem

The Next Best Thing to a Civic
By Ramon H. Herron

1999 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

This car was a very good buy got it for 2700 fully loaded sunroof, cd player, check this even had an viper security system. I had no Major problem out of this car just regular stuff brakes, oil, tune up car has over 190,000 plus on it car still get me to and from work. A very good car is u keep it up. Tip please have u timing chain and water pump replaced at 100k

Favorite Features

love the zippy engine, compact very fun to drive, ease to work on, very low cost of ownership, love the styling

Suggested Improvements

more hp, the front seats, power window assembly