1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
To Dust Revisited
By to_dust on 04/12/11 09:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I wrote a review of my elantra in 2005 (look at earlier reviews). It is now 2011 and I am still driving the car I bought 13 years ago. I now have 191,000 miles. To date I have replaced the timing belt, Break pads, and shocks. Otherwise the car is original. Including the original clutch. I am now on a quest to see how far it will go.

Decent
By Lindsay on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Well up to a couple of months ago I would rant and rave about this car. I've had it for 7 years and for 6.5 of those years I also put no money into it, just the usual tires, brakes, battery, etc. I loved it so much and found it was so reliable I even named it. However the past few months have not been great, had to replace the spark plug kit and then last week the transmission completely stopped functioning (automatic transmission). 115,000 miles on it, but too expensive to fix so it's getting sold for parts :(

it has been a good car
By george on 01/10/10 18:22 PM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

this car has gave me better service than the gm s i have owned they r crap this car is cheaper and was more reliable than my saturn and cavalier but don't get the automatic model the trans r crap and if you change the timing belt when you should you will have no problems with the engine the worse design is the front rotors the r a bad design but i updated them to 2000 spindles which spindles r better but all car have so flaws and this one has a lot less than the others have been a mechanic 4 30 years have worked on everything and this is one of the better cars maintenance is the key to a lot of them but transmission problems is a problem with all the automakers right now

Horrible car
By Jennifer on 07/28/07 17:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was a mistake to purchase, but I have had it for a year and a half. Between transmission issues and constant problems. Do not buy any hyundai.

Good mountain car
By MtnDriver on 05/26/06 12:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great mountain car, handles good on snow/ice/solid snow floor. Put 10K miles on it in 6 months. Has good get up and go, especially on steep mountain grades- can go 65 in 4th gear up a big grade (5 speed). No major problems until now (wheel bearing replacement, exhaust system problem, oil pan leak) and the paint scratches really easily. Overall great experience aside from the mechanic visits.

Got a spare Tranny?
By BoyDestructo on 12/17/05 23:05 PM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used a bit over a year ago with 60K on it. It has proven to be more cheap than inexpensive. Everything about this car feels cheap. Now, with 71K on the odometer it's in need of a new transmission. Not inexpensive, definately cheap.

Been a great car
By Bingo on 11/14/05 00:40 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

So pleasantly surprised by this car since we bought it for a runaround localy. Has been just great and has done several 3-5 hour trips one way. Overall, can't beat the value and fun to drive experience of this car. (42mpg on turnpike speeds!!!) Would advise anyone to pick one of these up for everyday transportation.

Serves its Purpose
By to dust on 06/04/05 23:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car(new) because I was saving for a house. Now 3 children later, I use it to commute 70 miles a day. It now has 110,000 miles and it is a perfect car for my needs. It does not handle great, it is not the most comfortable car, and over 70 mph it sounds like the rubberband is going to snap. Overall, it has been very reliable and I still get better then 33 miles to the gallon. I have been very satified with the decision to buy this car.

Amazed by this car
By Jim D on 02/09/05 14:27 PM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 2000 with 24K on it. Other then normal wear and tear parts, I have spent less then $300 on repairs to this car. It has over 90,000 miles on it now and has been through the hard New England winters and still runs great. I will be looking to get a new one whenever this one dies.

Not bad for the buck!
By fce on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Not a bad little car. I bought it for commuting with 105000 miles. It had a bad auto transmission. As far as I know this is the major downfall of this car. I have junk yard connections so I put the trans. in myself. It is only a 2 hour job at most. Bam! I got a decent little car. The car drives solid, no rattles, it even handles pretty good.