Used 1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

To Dust Revisited
By to_dust

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I wrote a review of my elantra in 2005 (look at earlier reviews). It is now 2011 and I am still driving the car I bought 13 years ago. I now have 191,000 miles. To date I have replaced the timing belt, Break pads, and shocks. Otherwise the car is original. Including the original clutch. I am now on a quest to see how far it will go.

Favorite Features

Same as before

Suggested Improvements

Same as before

Decent
By Lindsay

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Well up to a couple of months ago I would rant and rave about this car. I've had it for 7 years and for 6.5 of those years I also put no money into it, just the usual tires, brakes, battery, etc. I loved it so much and found it was so reliable I even named it. However the past few months have not been great, had to replace the spark plug kit and then last week the transmission completely stopped functioning (automatic transmission). 115,000 miles on it, but too expensive to fix so it's getting sold for parts :(

Favorite Features

Turning radius: I could park anywhere and almost never had to y-turn! MPG: started out with 35 mpg, now more like 28-30, but still pretty good for an old guy Reliability (until the transmission): I never worried about if this guy would get me across the country or across town.

Suggested Improvements

I don't think the transmission should go out at 115,000, so a longer lasting one would be nice. Also the acceleration leaves something to be desired on the automatic model.

it has been a good car
By george

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

this car has gave me better service than the gm s i have owned they r crap this car is cheaper and was more reliable than my saturn and cavalier but don't get the automatic model the trans r crap and if you change the timing belt when you should you will have no problems with the engine the worse design is the front rotors the r a bad design but i updated them to 2000 spindles which spindles r better but all car have so flaws and this one has a lot less than the others have been a mechanic 4 30 years have worked on everything and this is one of the better cars maintenance is the key to a lot of them but transmission problems is a problem with all the automakers right now

Favorite Features

dependable handles good interior is durable

Suggested Improvements

back seat needs to fold down headlights r not bright enough

Horrible car
By Jennifer

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was a mistake to purchase, but I have had it for a year and a half. Between transmission issues and constant problems. Do not buy any hyundai.

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Everything on this car can be improved.

Good mountain car
By MtnDriver

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great mountain car, handles good on snow/ice/solid snow floor. Put 10K miles on it in 6 months. Has good get up and go, especially on steep mountain grades- can go 65 in 4th gear up a big grade (5 speed). No major problems until now (wheel bearing replacement, exhaust system problem, oil pan leak) and the paint scratches really easily. Overall great experience aside from the mechanic visits.

Favorite Features

Great sound (replaced speakers), good gas mileage, easy to park, lots of space in the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The paint scratches easily, it uses oil, just general wearing out.