Used 1998 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Still going
By supgamer

1998 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Wagon

I bought this car about 6 years ago for $1600 with 76,000 mi, now I have over 213,000 on it and still going like a charm, everything
is working properly. Some of the things I had to repair were: 1 clutch, 2 oxygen sensors, 1 crankshaft position sensor, radiator, 1 air blower, driver's side interior door handle ( used the one from the back door as still opens the door with minor difficulty), 3 out of 4 vent louvers, (can't remember anything else), and the usual things: 1 timing belt, 2 batteries, 1 tune up stuff, oil, 2 sets of tires, brakes, bulbs, etc.

Very reliable with regular maintenance, minor breakdowns, usually car will be drivable and engine light will go on (repair time), front wheel drive (good on snow going up a medium hill), manual transmission (if battery dies, a good push can restart the car, hope your going down a hill tho), horn buttons location ( one for each thumb), bench moves forwards, perpendicular to the floor, so rear seats back support can fold flat

The vent louvers are very delicate, cup holder impede the use of chargers when open, seats need to be more comfortable, stronger AC (there's something wrong with it, after a long drive, it blows cool air, I don't know if the hoses are too close to hot parts of the engine or what, in short drives is really cold that you would be forced to lower it) (summer)

Very reliable
By supgamer

1998 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Wagon

I bought this Elantra with 76,000 mi. , now I have 172,000 mi. on it. I don't know if the first owner did all the fixing, but this car has been very reliable to me.
I use this car for long distance deliveries (courier), therefore, most of the mileage have been highway.
Besides regular maintenance (tires, fluids, brakes, tune up, etc), I had to change the crank shaft position sensor, slave cilinder, clutch, the AC fun that was out of balance and making noise, driver's inside door handle (switched with the same side back door, fits perfectly), did change the timming belt and water and that's it. My only complaint are the air vents that are very delicate (all broken).
Love this car!!!

* 30 mi/gl highway. * Manual transmission (can re start the car, even if the battery is low. * Cheap to fix

* Wind noise. * AC too weak. * Bigger engine. * Air vents (look and don't touch)

To Dust Revisited
By to_dust

1998 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I wrote a review of my elantra in 2005 (look at earlier reviews).

It is now 2011 and I am still driving the car I bought 13 years ago.
I now have 191,000 miles.

To date I have replaced the timing belt, Break pads, and shocks.
Otherwise the car is original.
Including the original clutch.

I am now on a quest to see how far it will go.

Same as before

Same as before

Decent
By Lindsay

1998 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Well up to a couple of months ago I would rant and rave about this car. I've had it for 7 years and for 6.5 of those years I also put no money into it, just the usual tires, brakes, battery, etc. I loved it so much and found it was so reliable I even named it. However the past few months have not been great, had to replace the spark plug kit and then last week the transmission completely stopped functioning (automatic transmission). 115,000 miles on it, but too expensive to fix so it's getting sold for parts :(

Turning radius: I could park anywhere and almost never had to y-turn! MPG: started out with 35 mpg, now more like 28-30, but still pretty good for an old guy Reliability (until the transmission): I never worried about if this guy would get me across the country or across town.

I don't think the transmission should go out at 115,000, so a longer lasting one would be nice. Also the acceleration leaves something to be desired on the automatic model.

it has been a good car
By george

1998 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

this car has gave me better service than the gm s i have owned they r crap this car is cheaper and was more reliable than my saturn and cavalier but don't get the automatic model the trans r crap and if you change the timing belt when you should you will have no problems with the engine the worse design is the front rotors the r a bad design but i updated them to 2000 spindles which spindles r better but all car have so flaws and this one has a lot less than the others have been a mechanic 4 30 years have worked on everything and this is one of the better cars maintenance is the key to a lot of them but transmission problems is a problem with all the automakers right now

dependable handles good interior is durable

back seat needs to fold down headlights r not bright enough