Used 1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Most Helpful|
Nice for the Price
By Phredd in CT

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

It's the SE edition, with driving lights, spoiler, alloy rims...Bought my car in 2000 with 23k on it. Was just declared a total loss due to a hit and run on Christmas eve... The car now has 67,000 miles on it, and, besides a shorted out wire harness 3 weeks after I bought it, I have had no problems with it.

Favorite Features

Looks good... esp. with the spoiler and alloy rims...

Suggested Improvements

None really... Seemed a bit sluggish in uphill acceleration, but it is a 4cyl

Great Little Car
By Richard135

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car off of Ebay, (after examining it), and did some repairs as expected. This car is a trooper. It has never failed me and even when it needed something replaced, it STILL got me where I needed to go. When I bought it the windows were darkly tinted and believe that has saves the interior, which is in real good shape as well. I did get the 5-speed, as I love manual transmissions, even in the city. I get an average of 33 mpg to which I am thrilled with. This includes using the a/c half of the time.

Favorite Features

Super Strong A/C - In Florida it's a necessity! Good take off speed. Great MPG!

Suggested Improvements

Move the drivers side fuse box. My foot keeps popping it open and caused me to break the latch. Put the secondary CO2 sensor in an easier to replace location.

Good Car
By Ech

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I had VERY VERY FEW problems with this car. It still runs well. It is a steal for the price.

Elantra
By ceceipe

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Clutch had to be replaced after 60000 miles. Speedometer broke after 60000 miles. Seats are not comfortable. Fuel Economy is ok.

Best car I've ever had
By elalove

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1997 hyundai for 5 years-- I bought it with 116, 000kms on it and it's at 270, 000 kms right now I originally paid 2500$ for it. This car is manual and I replaced the clutch in the first year because I was a new driver and I burnt it out and it only cost me 600$. In the winter I get through heavy snow that trucks can't even get through. Everyone who calls this car the little tug that could or a trooper is RIGHT! This is the most reliable, sweetest little car of all time. I'm SO SO SO depressed that my baby is at the end of it's life. in 5 years I've had ZERO engine repairs (it's a 15 year old car). I adore this thing!

Favorite Features

Never ever lets me down, even when I had some engine trouble it was something silly like at 250, 000 kms the starter was having trouble in the winter time but it still started eventually and now its april 2012 and still running fine. the clutch is great can still do a burn out. all minor fixes have been beyond cheap.

Suggested Improvements

i love everything just the way it is, if the cup holders are too close to the radio and that's the worst thing you can say about your vehicle i think hyundai did a pretty damn good job...