Used 1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Little Car!
By ckn

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my 1st car right after college. I have driven the hell out of it (93,400 mi). I have lots of money to buy a new car but don't because this baby has never given me any real problems. Past problems have been a cracked gasket, broken door hinge, and the CD player laser sometimes messed up. Just now I broke my inside door handle and a fuse keeps blowing so I can't shift out of park (but you can override that). All these things are minor. I replace brakes every 40k mi. Gas mileage is between 25-29 mpg. Yearly maintenance/repair costs (for everything) are approx $500. Can't go wrong there! I saved lots of money w/ this car!

Favorite Features

Comfortable car, stereo speakers, REALLY peppy engine for a 4 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior parts.

Excellent Car
By cdbluejr

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is the best car I have ever had (I have had a few). Lasted 6 years without any major repairs. Needs engine work now (93,100). Heater quit working last year (summer, 2002).

Favorite Features

Rides great.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to this design. Don't like the newer models. This design had better crash ratings.

Piece of Junk
By dksm

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in Apr of 02 and it seemed like a good deal for the price. Everything worked great at first but then I started having some problems. First I had to replace the water pump in Jun-02, then a few months later I had to replace the radiator because the original one leaked in about 4 different places. For about the next 7 months I had no problems so I was thinking that everything would be ok, but then in Apr-03 one of the radiator fans went out. About 3 months later the AC stopped working because of a leak in one of the hoses. The AC worked for about month and now it has stopped working again. There is leak somewhere else in the AC system.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

They should build these cars more reliable. I would never buy another Hyundai and would advise anyone out there not to buy one.

Elantra
By ceceipe

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Clutch had to be replaced after 60000 miles. Speedometer broke after 60000 miles. Seats are not comfortable. Fuel Economy is ok.

Nice for the Price
By Phredd in CT

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

It's the SE edition, with driving lights, spoiler, alloy rims...Bought my car in 2000 with 23k on it. Was just declared a total loss due to a hit and run on Christmas eve... The car now has 67,000 miles on it, and, besides a shorted out wire harness 3 weeks after I bought it, I have had no problems with it.

Favorite Features

Looks good... esp. with the spoiler and alloy rims...

Suggested Improvements

None really... Seemed a bit sluggish in uphill acceleration, but it is a 4cyl