1997 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews 3

1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
best of the best
By KENJI on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

best of the best

Strong little car
By Slick on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after I crashed my previous car as a quick fix,The price was right and I figured it was a nice enough looking car. After a few days of driving it, I must say its a very nice car. I look alot better in this than I did in my old car. It gets good milage and has enough power to get and go if you need it.

Gets me there
By Runabout on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Wagon

This car has transported me to and fro and never broken down on me. Its got responsive trans (manual) goes pretty fast and gets good mileage. Too bad it depreciates quickly. Only problems were with a recall for fuel tank vacuum pressure that took the dealer a while to diagnose/fix properly.

I will never purchase another Hyundai!
By UNHAPPY on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Wagon

I would not recommend this car to even my worst enemy. The transmission has failed twice. All of the paint (original paint) is chipping off. It makes horrible banging noises when turning and no mechanic (not even Hyundai dealer mechanics)can figure out why. The steering column shakes (another "feature" thank no one can seem to fix). We have done all we can to no avail. I will never EVER buy another.

This car sucks...I'd rather have a Geo
By Sweetlou014 on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

This car is the worst car I have ever driven. I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it and since then have had nothing but trouble with it. The oxygen sensors went, and they are the most expensive I have ever seen. Diagnostic tests say that the oxygen sensor was the only thing wrong, but the car runs terrible. It skips in gears, revs incredibly high when idling sometimes. Overall, the only good thing I can say about this car is... umm... well... wait... nope, there's nothing good! K I'm done.

Good...could be better.
By Pepe on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1997 Elantra in 1996. New model, was skeptacle but have learned to love it. Good reliable car for the money. Definitely not Honda quality, but getting there. Great price for what you get.