Used 1997 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

1997 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

By agliettipc

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

The car is exelent. It runs very well, confortable, economic, cheap parts

fun little car
By mike

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with the idea of getting a couple of years work out of it. I've now owned it 4 1/2 years and 140,000 miles later i plan to keep it until it breathes it's last breath. The car had 20k on it when I bought it. I took it down and had all engine/trans fluids changed to Mobil 1. A great ride, precise handling and enough power to make this car a joy to own. I am teaching my daughter to drive and now she wants one like mine. I think I'll buy her a 2000 Elantra so I will have the warranty. The only problem I've had is a switch in the auto tranny. After that was fixed , no problems. I average 33 mpg hiway and 28 city.

Favorite Features

Reliability, great handling, cheap on gas

Suggested Improvements

none

Good for a while...
By Abner11

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used in January 2003 with 36,750 for mileage. Had no problems at all for the first year - plus, and I drive A LOT. In August 2004 I had to replace the pulse generator and oil temperature sensor because the check engine light was coming on and the car was racing a little bit off the line. Cost about $400 at the dealership. Then came Christmas 2004 and all hell broke loose. Brought it to the dealer because A) the engine started racing again and B) the exhaust was awfully throaty. Dealership told me I needed a new transmission, a new front pipe and a new manifold because the existing exhaust pieces were rusted. Also, oil pan rusted through and let go, and head gasket blew.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, decent mileage, roomy enough for my needs, and I'm 6'2".

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust pieces and oil pan are very, very flimsy and will rust out in no time, resulting in costly repairs.

Good Car
By Ech

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I had VERY VERY FEW problems with this car. It still runs well. It is a steal for the price.

Very Happy
By MHnwd

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I purchased the SE model new in May of 97, and have been very happy with the overall performance. It's great on gas and very dependable. I have 85,000 miles and it still runs great. It has a strong little 4 cyl and the 5 spd makes it fun to drive. No major problems, only routine maint. It has exceeded my expectations and I have got my money out it!

Favorite Features

Body Style

Suggested Improvements

Windows fog up easy in the winter