1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews

1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

1997 Elantra Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Best car I've ever had
By elalove

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1997 hyundai for 5 years-- I bought it with 116, 000kms on it and it's at 270, 000 kms right now I originally paid 2500$ for it. This car is manual and I replaced the clutch in the first year because I was a new driver and I burnt it out and it only cost me 600$. In the winter I get through heavy snow that trucks can't even get through. Everyone who calls this car the little tug that could or a trooper is RIGHT! This is the most reliable, sweetest little car of all time. I'm SO SO SO depressed that my baby is at the end of it's life. in 5 years I've had ZERO engine repairs (it's a 15 year old car). I adore this thing!

Favorite Features

Never ever lets me down, even when I had some engine trouble it was something silly like at 250, 000 kms the starter was having trouble in the winter time but it still started eventually and now its april 2012 and still running fine. the clutch is great can still do a burn out. all minor fixes have been beyond cheap.

Suggested Improvements

i love everything just the way it is, if the cup holders are too close to the radio and that's the worst thing you can say about your vehicle i think hyundai did a pretty damn good job...

Almost my last
By CloseCall

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car pretty much drove me from high school through the Navy and nearly 6 years of DC area drivers. Its made long trips from Virginia to Texas and back. It spent good stretches just sitting parked for months at a time and nearly daily trips verging on 70 miles both ways. At 130,000 miles I had to finally get the transmission replaced after having let it sit nearly a year without getting the oil changed. I would still be driving it today if that where possible, but alas snow/ice/and a plow truck combined to take it away from me in rough wreck. It was good. not always comfortable or good looking but it served well.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Seat backs need reinforcing.

Great Little Car
By Richard135

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car off of Ebay, (after examining it), and did some repairs as expected. This car is a trooper. It has never failed me and even when it needed something replaced, it STILL got me where I needed to go. When I bought it the windows were darkly tinted and believe that has saves the interior, which is in real good shape as well. I did get the 5-speed, as I love manual transmissions, even in the city. I get an average of 33 mpg to which I am thrilled with. This includes using the a/c half of the time.

Favorite Features

Super Strong A/C - In Florida it's a necessity! Good take off speed. Great MPG!

Suggested Improvements

Move the drivers side fuse box. My foot keeps popping it open and caused me to break the latch. Put the secondary CO2 sensor in an easier to replace location.

By agliettipc

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

The car is exelent. It runs very well, confortable, economic, cheap parts

fun little car
By mike

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with the idea of getting a couple of years work out of it. I've now owned it 4 1/2 years and 140,000 miles later i plan to keep it until it breathes it's last breath. The car had 20k on it when I bought it. I took it down and had all engine/trans fluids changed to Mobil 1. A great ride, precise handling and enough power to make this car a joy to own. I am teaching my daughter to drive and now she wants one like mine. I think I'll buy her a 2000 Elantra so I will have the warranty. The only problem I've had is a switch in the auto tranny. After that was fixed , no problems. I average 33 mpg hiway and 28 city.

Favorite Features

Reliability, great handling, cheap on gas

Suggested Improvements

none

Good for a while...
By Abner11

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used in January 2003 with 36,750 for mileage. Had no problems at all for the first year - plus, and I drive A LOT. In August 2004 I had to replace the pulse generator and oil temperature sensor because the check engine light was coming on and the car was racing a little bit off the line. Cost about $400 at the dealership. Then came Christmas 2004 and all hell broke loose. Brought it to the dealer because A) the engine started racing again and B) the exhaust was awfully throaty. Dealership told me I needed a new transmission, a new front pipe and a new manifold because the existing exhaust pieces were rusted. Also, oil pan rusted through and let go, and head gasket blew.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, decent mileage, roomy enough for my needs, and I'm 6'2".

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust pieces and oil pan are very, very flimsy and will rust out in no time, resulting in costly repairs.

Good Car
By Ech

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I had VERY VERY FEW problems with this car. It still runs well. It is a steal for the price.

Very Happy
By MHnwd

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased the SE model new in May of 97, and have been very happy with the overall performance. It's great on gas and very dependable. I have 85,000 miles and it still runs great. It has a strong little 4 cyl and the 5 spd makes it fun to drive. No major problems, only routine maint. It has exceeded my expectations and I have got my money out it!

Favorite Features

Body Style

Suggested Improvements

Windows fog up easy in the winter

No Complaints Here
By T-S

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new in December of 1997. Car has run well and has 133,000 miles and still runs fine. The drivers side door handle broke at about 90K, and the windows fog very easily. The inserts for closing the door on both rear doors pop out often. Mechanically it has held up very well. Change the oil every 3,000 and other maintainance as needed. Overall I am very pleased.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual transmission & peppy little 4 cyl engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior quality.

Happy
By TMiller

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new. I had a problem with the overflow leaking. I think that it was the dealers b.s. though. Their has always been a problem when I fill the gas tank; it puts out a strong gas odor. I have brought it in and of course they don't know what it is. I have had 4/5 new gas caps. I too have a problem with the door handle. The car has been from NY to FL a dozen times and to GA a few too. I have another car now; (due to a growing family, it doesn't hold more than 2 car seats) but the elantra still bails me out in any snow storm. Or any other time I need it and is now driven on a more part time basis by my other half.

Favorite Features

A great car in it's class. It is great in the snow. It got hit in the front corner by a suv and did more damage to the suv. No injury to me.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is in a bad place. The door handle needs better construction.