Used 1997 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

1997 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Best car I've ever had
By elalove

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1997 hyundai for 5 years-- I bought it with 116, 000kms on it and it's at 270, 000 kms right now I originally paid 2500$ for it. This car is manual and I replaced the clutch in the first year because I was a new driver and I burnt it out and it only cost me 600$. In the winter I get through heavy snow that trucks can't even get through. Everyone who calls this car the little tug that could or a trooper is RIGHT! This is the most reliable, sweetest little car of all time. I'm SO SO SO depressed that my baby is at the end of it's life. in 5 years I've had ZERO engine repairs (it's a 15 year old car). I adore this thing!

Never ever lets me down, even when I had some engine trouble it was something silly like at 250, 000 kms the starter was having trouble in the winter time but it still started eventually and now its april 2012 and still running fine. the clutch is great can still do a burn out. all minor fixes have been beyond cheap.

i love everything just the way it is, if the cup holders are too close to the radio and that's the worst thing you can say about your vehicle i think hyundai did a pretty damn good job...

Almost my last
By CloseCall

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

This car pretty much drove me from high school through the Navy and nearly 6 years of DC area drivers. Its made long trips from Virginia to Texas and back. It spent good stretches just sitting parked for months at a time and nearly daily trips verging on 70 miles both ways. At 130,000 miles I had to finally get the transmission replaced after having let it sit nearly a year without getting the oil changed. I would still be driving it today if that where possible, but alas snow/ice/and a plow truck combined to take it away from me in rough wreck. It was good. not always comfortable or good looking but it served well.

Seat backs need reinforcing.

Great Little Car
By Richard135

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

Bought the car off of Ebay, (after examining it), and did some repairs as expected. This car is a trooper. It has never failed me and even when it needed something replaced, it STILL got me where I needed to go. When I bought it the windows were darkly tinted and believe that has saves the interior, which is in real good shape as well. I did get the 5-speed, as I love manual transmissions, even in the city. I get an average of 33 mpg to which I am thrilled with. This includes using the a/c half of the time.

Super Strong A/C - In Florida it's a necessity! Good take off speed. Great MPG!

Move the drivers side fuse box. My foot keeps popping it open and caused me to break the latch. Put the secondary CO2 sensor in an easier to replace location.

good litte cheapie
By den

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Wagon

Bought from an older gentleman 6 yrs ago some just general maint. Both my power Windows had to be fixed the car now has 61k and still works good don't know how long I will keep it the trade value is poor to say the least so as long as I can I will keep it.

fold dn rear seats

Good all around car
By Nathan Toke

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought this as my first car in graduate school and it has served me well for three years and 20k miles. It has been reliable and easy to drive. The interior is really crappy as was the case with 1990's hyundais... many plastic parts are wearing down on the interior. The window motors start to die at 80k. Some of this could be enhanced because of sitting so long in the desert (phoenix) sun. The outside of the car is nice (although the paint has worn on the grill and the hub caps look pretty poor these days. The visibility in this car is supreme! which makes this car fun and easy to drive. It is better to drive on the highway at speeds between 60-75(33mpg) than the city (21mpg).

Highway gas efficiency, Visibility, hatchback and fold down seats for cargo and or sleeping in the back on a long road trip.

Hopefully Hyundai is using better interior parts like the plastic fittings etc. Also there is a fair bit of road noise on the hwy.