1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Best car I've ever had
By elalove on 04/14/12 15:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1997 hyundai for 5 years-- I bought it with 116, 000kms on it and it's at 270, 000 kms right now I originally paid 2500$ for it. This car is manual and I replaced the clutch in the first year because I was a new driver and I burnt it out and it only cost me 600$. In the winter I get through heavy snow that trucks can't even get through. Everyone who calls this car the little tug that could or a trooper is RIGHT! This is the most reliable, sweetest little car of all time. I'm SO SO SO depressed that my baby is at the end of it's life. in 5 years I've had ZERO engine repairs (it's a 15 year old car). I adore this thing!

Almost my last
By CloseCall on 02/12/10 14:42 PM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

This car pretty much drove me from high school through the Navy and nearly 6 years of DC area drivers. Its made long trips from Virginia to Texas and back. It spent good stretches just sitting parked for months at a time and nearly daily trips verging on 70 miles both ways. At 130,000 miles I had to finally get the transmission replaced after having let it sit nearly a year without getting the oil changed. I would still be driving it today if that where possible, but alas snow/ice/and a plow truck combined to take it away from me in rough wreck. It was good. not always comfortable or good looking but it served well.

Great Little Car
By Richard135 on 07/27/08 00:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

Bought the car off of Ebay, (after examining it), and did some repairs as expected. This car is a trooper. It has never failed me and even when it needed something replaced, it STILL got me where I needed to go. When I bought it the windows were darkly tinted and believe that has saves the interior, which is in real good shape as well. I did get the 5-speed, as I love manual transmissions, even in the city. I get an average of 33 mpg to which I am thrilled with. This includes using the a/c half of the time.

good litte cheapie
By den on 04/17/08 19:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Wagon

Bought from an older gentleman 6 yrs ago some just general maint. Both my power Windows had to be fixed the car now has 61k and still works good don't know how long I will keep it the trade value is poor to say the least so as long as I can I will keep it.

Good all around car
By Nathan Toke on 06/12/07 15:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought this as my first car in graduate school and it has served me well for three years and 20k miles. It has been reliable and easy to drive. The interior is really crappy as was the case with 1990's hyundais... many plastic parts are wearing down on the interior. The window motors start to die at 80k. Some of this could be enhanced because of sitting so long in the desert (phoenix) sun. The outside of the car is nice (although the paint has worn on the grill and the hub caps look pretty poor these days. The visibility in this car is supreme! which makes this car fun and easy to drive. It is better to drive on the highway at speeds between 60-75(33mpg) than the city (21mpg).

By agliettipc on 04/14/06 10:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

The car is exelent. It runs very well, confortable, economic, cheap parts

fun little car
By mike on 09/14/05 08:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with the idea of getting a couple of years work out of it. I've now owned it 4 1/2 years and 140,000 miles later i plan to keep it until it breathes it's last breath. The car had 20k on it when I bought it. I took it down and had all engine/trans fluids changed to Mobil 1. A great ride, precise handling and enough power to make this car a joy to own. I am teaching my daughter to drive and now she wants one like mine. I think I'll buy her a 2000 Elantra so I will have the warranty. The only problem I've had is a switch in the auto tranny. After that was fixed , no problems. I average 33 mpg hiway and 28 city.

Good for a while...
By Abner11 on 04/07/05 14:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used in January 2003 with 36,750 for mileage. Had no problems at all for the first year - plus, and I drive A LOT. In August 2004 I had to replace the pulse generator and oil temperature sensor because the check engine light was coming on and the car was racing a little bit off the line. Cost about $400 at the dealership. Then came Christmas 2004 and all hell broke loose. Brought it to the dealer because A) the engine started racing again and B) the exhaust was awfully throaty. Dealership told me I needed a new transmission, a new front pipe and a new manifold because the existing exhaust pieces were rusted. Also, oil pan rusted through and let go, and head gasket blew.

Good Car
By Ech on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I had VERY VERY FEW problems with this car. It still runs well. It is a steal for the price.

Very Happy
By MHnwd on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I purchased the SE model new in May of 97, and have been very happy with the overall performance. It's great on gas and very dependable. I have 85,000 miles and it still runs great. It has a strong little 4 cyl and the 5 spd makes it fun to drive. No major problems, only routine maint. It has exceeded my expectations and I have got my money out it!