1996 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: A very economical, fun little

1996 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GLS Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

A very economical, fun little vehicle!
By Kalikiano on

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Wagon

Bought my 1996 white Elantra GLS wagon from an Arizona dealer. It had 118,000 miles on it and was in excellent overall condition (well maintained by a NASA engineer) at the time. I have been quite pleased with this vehicle. Fuel economy excellent (30+ mpg) and reliability solid. Only problem I had was with the 'check engine light' coming on, but adjustment at the local Hyundai dealer resolved that and the car passed California emissions tests quite easily. The car's great fun, handles well, and extremely practical for passenger or cargo use. A few squeaks due to age, but they just add personality to what has proven to be a very satisfactory purchase. I'd buy another Hyundai in future!

Favorite Features

The wagon is extremely utilitarian, with folding rear seats for a large cargo space. My Siberian Huskies love it! Excellent, if basic, ergonometric comfort in seats & driving position (good lumbar support). Excellent all- round visibility & good road keeping traits. Instruments are well thought out.

Suggested Improvements

Slight improvement in upholstery materials would have made this car top- notch. HVAC system performs excellently, but lighted temp adjustment controls would be a plus (hard to see in the dark). Hyundai quality has risen remarkably since 1996, so present cars are much better still!