Used 1996 Hyundai Elantra Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

A very economical, fun little vehicle!
By Kalikiano

1996 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Bought my 1996 white Elantra GLS wagon from an Arizona dealer. It had 118,000 miles on it and was in excellent overall condition (well maintained by a NASA engineer) at the time. I have been quite pleased with this vehicle. Fuel economy excellent (30+ mpg) and reliability solid. Only problem I had was with the 'check engine light' coming on, but adjustment at the local Hyundai dealer resolved that and the car passed California emissions tests quite easily. The car's great fun, handles well, and extremely practical for passenger or cargo use. A few squeaks due to age, but they just add personality to what has proven to be a very satisfactory purchase. I'd buy another Hyundai in future!

Favorite Features

The wagon is extremely utilitarian, with folding rear seats for a large cargo space. My Siberian Huskies love it! Excellent, if basic, ergonometric comfort in seats & driving position (good lumbar support). Excellent all- round visibility & good road keeping traits. Instruments are well thought out.

Suggested Improvements

Slight improvement in upholstery materials would have made this car top- notch. HVAC system performs excellently, but lighted temp adjustment controls would be a plus (hard to see in the dark). Hyundai quality has risen remarkably since 1996, so present cars are much better still!

A great little car for the money!
By Kalikiano

1996 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

I bought my 1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS wagon used (in 2008), with 117,000 miles on it. Since I wanted a white paint exterior, I really had to search a bit until I found one (in Arizona). I've put about 3000 miles on it so far and it has performed like a champ. Lots of room for myself, wife, and two large dogs. Well appointed, comfortable, with excellent cooling/heating capabilities and superb 360 degree visibility, I soon grew quite fond of this modest but sturdy little Korean automobile. With excellent fuel economy (27-30 mpg average for both city and highway), it's really the frugal person's Honda Civic: high quality for low cost. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good used car!

Favorite Features

AC & heating (tops!), styling, comfort, visibility, handling (nimble and fun to drive), overall functional utility for carrying both people and cargo (station wagon). Carries a kayak (or bicycles) on the roof rack without complaint, too! Enough power to do just about anything on the road (1.8/4).

Suggested Improvements

Engine was upgraded to 2-liters (4 cylinder) in 1999, which was a plus, although the 1.8 liter engine (with automatic) used in 1996-98 models certainly provides all the horses most people of moderate habits need, outside the race track (but not for those used to 0-60 in 4 seconds, however).

96 Elantra Wagon
By JD2618

1996 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Overall the vehicle performed well. It was reasonable on gas. It seemed to require more brake maintence than normal. The extended warranty was worth the cost as several items needed to be replaced before 75,000 Scheduled regular maintenance by Hyundai is pricey, especially the timing belt. The Dealer fixed items at no charge that were no longer under warranty for Good- Will. I would recommend the purchase of an Elantra if you get rebates and a good price.

Favorite Features

Hyundai has the Shop manual and troubleshooting guides FREE on-line (internet) Dealer rides for customers to home, work, shopping, etc. Free rental car for long repairs

Suggested Improvements

A non-interference engine would be better. Different or better quality brakes. Better sounding Horn(s)

hyundai eval
By ku rainbow

1996 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

This little vehicle ssurprised me as being an off-brand, I was a little skeptical. However, I really liked the styling & the price range for a second run around town car. It gets over 400 miles to a tank & is spacious for all my cargo needs.

Favorite Features

Styling & gas mileage are the main things which I found to be impressive.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not as comfortable for my frame, but then being petite, rather than average, I'm not surprised.