Used 1996 Hyundai Elantra Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Good Commuter Car
By Broadway

1996 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

Have put on 100-140 miles daily for for almost 8 years of use. Now have 279K on vehical. Major service include refurbished AT tranny at 147k ($1300) and recent water pump ($450) plus timing belt service, used power steering pump,gas filter,2 radiator fan motors,3rd set of tires (90K ea) Have not replaced alternator,muffler,or injector servicing. Check engine light has been on for 100k now. Have crack low on exhaust manifold but still get 35 to 38 mpg freeway,combo 30-33. Still no oil,tranny leaks...amazing! All my previous American cars have messed up my garage!

Favorite Features

Was going to use vehical as a "throw away" commuter car, but it has not given me a chance to do so. Overall transportation costs is very low with paid off vehical. Best car ever had.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign transmission. Even the refurbished after a few miles had similar 2-3 gear free wheeling problem but with proper maint...ok for now. Suspension is terrible but use to it. Radio could be greatly improved.

Keeps on Going
By theJackal99

1996 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I have over 180,000 on my 1996 Elantra and it just keeps on going. I've never had to do any major work on it. The paint and exhaust system on the car, however, could use some improvements. Very easy to scratch. The interior could be improved. But again, mechinacally it is awsome.

Favorite Features

If you are looking for a car that keeps going and going... this might be the one. I'll write another review here when it finally dies... otherwise assume that there is an Elantra out there with 180 K + miles and rising, out there.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior, bigger cup holders, more resiliant paint.

Great Little Car
By Bcar03

1996 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

This was my third Hyundai. Great little car for the money. I now have 120,000 trouble free miles on it. I hate to say it, but its time for a new one. I am going to purchase a 2002 Hyundai Elantra.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great gas milage, great price

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be more comfortable.

Stupid emissions!
By warriorpoet78

1996 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

Elantra 4 door with 86 K bought it used, have had nothing but problems ever since. Ther pathetic engine is clean but makes it hard to accelerate at a stop sign. And those wonderful emissions controls that make the engine run like a deisel and not to mention the awesome(note sarcasm) blinking check engine light. Interior nice, though, reliable transportation, gas mileage lower that what specs say, 20-25 city, 25 highway max!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, 4 door has lots of room for car size

Suggested Improvements

Fix those emissions controls, cup holder directlt beneath radio, can't change channel and drink java