1996 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Good Commuter Car
By Broadway on 12/19/06 19:34 PM (PST)

1996 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

Have put on 100-140 miles daily for for almost 8 years of use. Now have 279K on vehical. Major service include refurbished AT tranny at 147k ($1300) and recent water pump ($450) plus timing belt service, used power steering pump,gas filter,2 radiator fan motors,3rd set of tires (90K ea) Have not replaced alternator,muffler,or injector servicing. Check engine light has been on for 100k now. Have crack low on exhaust manifold but still get 35 to 38 mpg freeway,combo 30-33. Still no oil,tranny leaks...amazing! All my previous American cars have messed up my garage!

Keeps on Going
By theJackal99 on 06/25/05 16:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I have over 180,000 on my 1996 Elantra and it just keeps on going. I've never had to do any major work on it. The paint and exhaust system on the car, however, could use some improvements. Very easy to scratch. The interior could be improved. But again, mechinacally it is awsome.

Great Little Car
By Bcar03 on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

This was my third Hyundai. Great little car for the money. I now have 120,000 trouble free miles on it. I hate to say it, but its time for a new one. I am going to purchase a 2002 Hyundai Elantra.

Stupid emissions!
By warriorpoet78 on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

Elantra 4 door with 86 K bought it used, have had nothing but problems ever since. Ther pathetic engine is clean but makes it hard to accelerate at a stop sign. And those wonderful emissions controls that make the engine run like a deisel and not to mention the awesome(note sarcasm) blinking check engine light. Interior nice, though, reliable transportation, gas mileage lower that what specs say, 20-25 city, 25 highway max!