1996 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Nice little car
By Alex1 on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it used, had it for almost 3 years, about 80k now. Pretty happy so far. Relatively fun to drive, stable on the highway, fast, roomy. Mostly Minor problems and maintanance, but parts for Huyndai are pretty expensive. Overrall, a very nice car, but not as cheap to maintain as the price may suggest.

Pleasantly surprised!!
By JB in NJ on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Car has done us well as we have over 125,000 miles now. Changed the oil every 3000 miles and the car has reciprocated. Only problems have been with the check engine light coming on (several recalls and a new gas cap). Have only replaced the clutch once and the brakes once or twice. Recently had to replace the wiper motor and window regulator at about $200 each, but that's been the only problems. Just bought a 2003 Santa Fe based upon our favorable experience with this car.

Fun piece of junk
By umm_bacon on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this car used from a family friend, and have had a love hate relationship with it ever since. The car is very fun to drive, it being a 5 speed manual, but everything on it except the engine is crap. Literally every creature comfort has broken on this car: the sun roof, power windows, interior door handles x2, head liner, plastic molding, weather stripping, etc. Aside from the numerous problems with the unessentials (everything but the engine) I have loved every minute of owning this car. I would recomend one for a high school students first car.

My Hundai
By mikewomack on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Reliable small car. This is my third Hyundai and the best overall. I had a problem with the transmission early on but Hyundai evantually replaced it and it has been humming along ever since. Other than normal wear and tear I haven't had many problems, and I am one who doesn't believe in expensive 25, 50 etc. services. As someone said recently...Hyundai's can no longer be criticized as cheap cars.

96 Elantra great car
By MJA on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

A trouble-free, economical car. the best economy car I have owned.