Used 1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Nice little car
By Alex1

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it used, had it for almost 3 years, about 80k now. Pretty happy so far. Relatively fun to drive, stable on the highway, fast, roomy. Mostly Minor problems and maintanance, but parts for Huyndai are pretty expensive. Overrall, a very nice car, but not as cheap to maintain as the price may suggest.

Favorite Features

Surprisingly good quality interior for its class (GLS only). Love it! No blind spots. Good highway milage.

Suggested Improvements

Very poor dealership service around DC - very dishonest. Tried 2 of them and very dissatisfied with both. Body roll in corners. Not-so cold AC.

Pleasantly surprised!!
By JB in NJ

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Car has done us well as we have over 125,000 miles now. Changed the oil every 3000 miles and the car has reciprocated. Only problems have been with the check engine light coming on (several recalls and a new gas cap). Have only replaced the clutch once and the brakes once or twice. Recently had to replace the wiper motor and window regulator at about $200 each, but that's been the only problems. Just bought a 2003 Santa Fe based upon our favorable experience with this car.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage (over 400 miles/tank), surprising acceleration with a 5-speed, GLS came with power windows/locks/mirrors and AC for a great price. Fold down rear seats are very practical.

Suggested Improvements

Interior - road noise is loud at or above 70 MPH.

Fun piece of junk
By umm_bacon

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this car used from a family friend, and have had a love hate relationship with it ever since. The car is very fun to drive, it being a 5 speed manual, but everything on it except the engine is crap. Literally every creature comfort has broken on this car: the sun roof, power windows, interior door handles x2, head liner, plastic molding, weather stripping, etc. Aside from the numerous problems with the unessentials (everything but the engine) I have loved every minute of owning this car. I would recomend one for a high school students first car.

Favorite Features

Great handling and drivability with the stick. Will run forever, while slowly deteriorating along the way...

Suggested Improvements

Stop using the cheapest parts for the interior.

My Hundai
By mikewomack

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

Reliable small car. This is my third Hyundai and the best overall. I had a problem with the transmission early on but Hyundai evantually replaced it and it has been humming along ever since. Other than normal wear and tear I haven't had many problems, and I am one who doesn't believe in expensive 25, 50 etc. services. As someone said recently...Hyundai's can no longer be criticized as cheap cars.

Favorite Features

Style when I bought it. I thought it was a slick looking car, but that was 5 years ago. Now, However, I think the new hyundai's look slick.

Suggested Improvements

CD players were not standard back in '96 but it would have been nice. Even then, a better radio would have been appreciated.

96 Elantra great car
By MJA

1996 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan

A trouble-free, economical car. the best economy car I have owned.