Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Elantra-touring - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:

115,000 miles and still going strong!
By Paul Pennington

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as my family was expanding and wanted something practical but still fun to drive with decent looks. I have not been disappointed. For me the 5spd manual transmission is a must, I have gone one some long extended road trips - 20 hours in a single day and the bullet proof engine just keeps on going. I'm 115,000 miles (185,000km) in with no problems. I just keep up my maintenance, oil changes and changed my timing belt (400$) and the car has treated me well. The space with the seats folded flat is incredible - I have carried tables, lounge chairs and everything in-between. Great Car!

Favorite Features

5 spd manual, Layflat 60/40 seats, looks.

SE model has European feel
By obx2003

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was 33 months old with 31K miles from a Honda dealer. After a year I can say I'm quite happy with the car. Sporty handling and a decent combo of power and economy. I'm a DIYer so I was happy to see oil & filter changes are a breeze. Engine uses no oil between oil changes. The hatchback practicality is great. A golf club bag fits neatly across the back. I had narrowed my decision down to this car or a Toyota Matrix. I'm happy with my selection. I average over 30 mpg in mixed driving and about 34 highway mpg

Favorite Features

handling, fuel economy, reliability

Suggested Improvements

leather front seats need more padding, performance would be better with a 5 speed auto transmission

'Does everything better than a mid-sized SUV -- at far lower cost
By grbgmncmth

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

'Does everything very well; truly great in several areas: driver/passenger comfort & cargo space w/compact exterior size, both low and hi-speed handling, ease of parking and maneuvering in heavy-traffic, braking distance, driver-visibility, fun-factor & winter-weather driveability (with 5-speed manual tranny), reliability, ease of service, and a long list of standard features. All that and an expectation of good long-term reliability for 19G including tax and title? I'm pretty happy.

Favorite Features

At 54,000 miles, the 5-speed, clutch, & original brakes still work smooth. Exceptionally roomy & comfortable for up to 4 and their luggage. The wide passenger door spaces make for easy entry/exit. Enormous rear cargo space with seats lowered, more than mid-sized SUV's. The wide hatchback door opens high and closes easily. Simple, easy-to-use controls, esp. heat/AC and Sat radio; great reception on all bands. Good headlights, good front wipers/washer & rear wiper w/washers, and large, easily-adjustable power side mirrors enhance my situational awareness. Very safe with ESC, 4-wheel disc brakes, 6 air bags, and comfortable seat belts. EASY to change oil/filter & air filter.

Suggested Improvements

Needs 6th gear -- would improve the 32-33 highway mpg. PW/PDL panel intrudes too far out from door; the panel's hard, sharp-edged door materials are uncomfortable to rest leg against. Radio display should be further dimmable to preclude need to turn display off entirely at night. 'Too bad for consumers that Hyundai got rid of this model in 2012, as it does EVERYTHING better than their more profitable mid-sized SUV's, and at a far lower price. The new Elantra Touring GT has less driver/passenger room and FAR less cargo space.

hard core touring
By bassman26

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Hi, update after 20,000 miles in my 2011 elantra touring se model. Right to the point; could use more top end horsepower for higher speed interstate travel, it doesn't really like to average over 80, especially up hills of any consequence. Off the line response is excellent, making easy work of around town driving. Better than many cars I've driven like a turbo VW or small mercedes; they are built for the high speed cruising at some expense of around town response. Perfectly reliable thru 20k miles. Drove through the 100 year storm last winter across tennessee, arkansas and oklahoma. I mounted Conti DWS tires, as the stock tires couldn't get me out of my snow covered driveway in Nashville!

Favorite Features

great looks, reliability, in- town response, huge cargo area, inexpensive, comfortable for a few hours at a time.

Suggested Improvements

Softer seats for the leather clad versions, more top end horsepower for high speed travel, better fuel economy would be nice; I average 20 in town, 28 on the freeway (75mph, or so)

Practical and Sensible Car
By bradjan69

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is our second Hyundai in 10 years. We traded our 01 Elantra in on a 2011 Malibu and hated it. We decided to trade it in on another car. We looked at all cars in its class and decided on the Elantra touring SE The test drive went pretty good. The 2.0L 4 cylinder had adequate execration and was very quite. The car provided good feed back to the driver while going through turns. Road noise in the cabin was quite as well. The controls are very easy to use and set up to accommodate the driver. Seats are comfortable and there is plenty of storage within the cabin area. Overall value of this car is unbeatable. For long trips the Crew Cab pickup will stay home we are taking the wagon!

Favorite Features

I don't have enough space to write about all the items I love about this car so I'll highlight on a few. The seats are great and provide great support for lower back and legs. The glove box has a vent that cools or heats the inside of it. Very nice for hot days. There are plenty of 12volt AUX outlets in the car. The cargo capacity is what I like the most. There are just tons of room in this car. I drove it almost 200 miles from the dealership and my average MPGS were 34.3 running at 65-70mph. PRICING!!! Holy cow we got so much more car for far less then others in its class. 18k and change for our loaded SE through USAA. If you are in the market for a wagon under 20K this car is for you!

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see Hyundai put some body molding on the sides of the car to break it up a little. Add rear heated seats in the back as well. I would like to see some little features like built in home link for garages, auto dimming rearview mirror and a power inverter outlet as well. I am nit picking right now. Other then that I can't think of anything else. Bottom line is that we love this car and look forward to keeping it until the wheels fall off.