Used 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:

the good and the bad
By carcommenter

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The good: Am in my 3rd year of ownership and the car has been reliable so far. It is amazingly spacious and has a clean interior design which I find appealing and uncluttered. Good visibility all around and the car handles well. With quality winter tires (I prefer Michelin) it has been very good in winter (am driving in Canada). I like the manual shift even though it feels odd sometimes. Has unusually good pulling power on hills in top gear (5th). If you flog it, it will respond willingly and feels quite sporty. Responds harshly to bumps (see my comments on tire size).

Favorite Features

Excellent use of space, beats much larger cars for interior space. Nifty car to whip around town. Large windshield washer reservoir. Easy to change your own cabin air filter if you follow instructions in your manual. Manual is comprehensive and well laid out.

Suggested Improvements

Rides somewhat harshly; I recommend smallest tire size because large tires in these small cars always ride harsher. Fuel consumption in mixed driving is so so (~ 8.5 ltr/100km // 27 mpg). Cannot buy replacement blades for wipers - have to buy the whole assembly and rear wiper is expensive. Car is noisy - revs high in top gears which makes for noise and lower fuel mileage but also gets you good pulling power. Dealer recommended a procedure to deal with carbon build up around valves. I suggest you think twice about doing this because the procedure is highly questionable - no evidence that it works and worrisome at ~30000 km (~ 20000M).

Mine is not as great as everyone elses ET
By sr500mark

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a catasrophic engine failure that started with a faintly flickering oil light at low idling rpm. Oil level was ok. I changed the oil anyway and the flickering went away. This flickering only lasted a very short while, as I changed the oil immediately. It seemed like everytime I approached 3,000 miles on an oil change the engine light would start to flicker and then go away once changed. Engine died at 65,000 miles. Hyundai took care of the issue with little hassle. Interior plastic chrome trim is pealing, parking brake button broke off, parking brake wore too fast, needing constant adjustment and then rear brake replacement. I like it, it just isn't great. Back to Toyota.

Favorite Features

I like the styling, the handling, mileage. Braking is pretty solid too. Warrantee was handled beautifully. Nice loaner car, good but very slow in fixing. Waited for weeks to get a new block sent in. But I had a good loaner car so no big deal there. Car is GREAT in the snow with real snow tires at all 4 corners. Good room! Lot of car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim is lacking in quality. Check engine light came on about 2 miles before engine failed, when I was driving it to the shop to have the car checked out! Stock tires are terrible in anything remotely slippery. Shift lever knob stripped out. Clutch action is hard to modulate in traffic. Second to third gear gap is too great. Third needs to a closer ratio. Downshift from 3 to 2 will have you lurching forward while the upshift will bog the engine.

Cheap car
By mike11778

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

A very cheap car, leather on steering wheel peals off, dealer will change, carpet floor is pulling away, dealer fixed it, it does this again, very noisy (low profile tires), every small rock is like a pain, floor mats (Touring OEM !!!!) already having holes at the gas pedal. I am looking to get rid of it and buy a VW or similar. No engine problems so far, but driving is crappy, got pain in fingers from extensive driving due to vibrating car.

Favorite Features

large interior space

Suggested Improvements

comfort for driver and passengers

Needs cruise for manual trans
By Joe

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it's a great car. Going from an SUV that average 18 mpg to a hatchback with nearly just as much room that averages about 28 mpg for me I'm very pleased with my purchase. I wish the base model came with more options (mostly Cruise control!), but with what you get in a base model for 15k it's great

Favorite Features

mpg, manual trans, radio, display, leg room for the front and back seats, spaciousness of the entire car

Suggested Improvements

cruise control in the manual base model and more options for the base model and it was very difficult to even find a touring with a manual transmission

Fun car
By Frank

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car for the space and did not want an SUV. The car handles very well and the brakes are excellent. The radio and other controls are simple to use without a lot of needless buttons. The ride is firm but that is what you get with a sports type handling. I drove in a snowstorm back in February and the car handled similar to a Saab I use to have, even with the low profile tires. XM radio is standard with a free 3 month subscription. I thought I did not want it but now I cannot drive without it. Car comes with excellent tires and Consumer report rates the tires well, even in snow.

Favorite Features

Built in XM radio. Fold-down rear seats providing huge cargo area. Excellent brakes and handling, along with six airbags.

Suggested Improvements

I think with all the features and the low price, Hyundai saves on the weak paint job. The car's paint could be a liitle more durable and less prone to chips. However, I realize the price of the car is the reason for this.