Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:

6 years, no major problems
By Rail

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We just traded our touring after 6 years of ownership. Overall a great car. Mechanically perfect until the dealer incorrectly serviced the transmission allowing it to leave the lot with no fluid. After that it would shift poorly at times. That's not the cars fault. Otherwise it needed a new battery a couple times and that's it. Other small issues where a lift gate that would rattle at times and a brake pedal that creaked.

Still doing great after 103,000
By pistolpete10

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Gonna drive it till it dies. Keeps on chugging along well. Routine maintenance is all that's been required. (put in a new battery recently after 100,000) In comparison to newer cars, the real world mileage isn't great. 22- 23 city, maybe 28-30 on highway but clearly this 4 cylinder non high tech engine was not designed to be super thrifty. That's the weak link in this car but in the end everything else, in my humble opinion, more than makes up for that, and with gas being cheap nowadays... Oh, and the lack of blue tooth connectivity is dated. Also compared to my other car the heating and a/c fans/outlets are weaker than most. No fancy lane change safety electronics and no knee air bags. Back storage area surface scratches easily.
Be wary of some of their dealerships. After routine maintenance at the dealership where I originally bought the car (a bit of a distance from my home), as I was driving away, the entire rear driver wheel fell off 1/2 mile from them. (too busy to check to tighten all the lug nuts, which I found scattered on the road) Fortunately I was not hurt and the vehicle did not sustain major damage. I had to fight with that dealership to get reimbursed for their careless and dangerous work. Have since switched to local dealership and local private garage with good results.
Had a minor issue while driving car in Canada, while still under warranty (Check engine light). Dealership up there said that the 100,000 mile warantee did not apply over the border. I appealed this decision here, but Hyundai USA said no go. Seems absurd that they wouldn't cover a problem within the same continent. I later learned that other companies pretty well have that same "rule".
HOWEVER, on the MUCH larger positive side, the driver (as well as front passenger) seat is till super supportive and comfy. Easy to drive and the I and the rest of the family still use the exceptional hauling capacity often. Handles and parks very nimbly. (Go to car when we go to big cities because of size and ease of parking) Visibility is really good especially compared to other car I drive. . With snow tires the vehicle is awesome in winter. I got up my steep driveway this winter, with 12" of snow.
Sad that they don't make these any more. The GT, which replaces this model, is a totally different vehicle with no where near the same hauling capacity.

Fun to drive
By jhitchens

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an excellent choice if you are looking for a car that is fun to drive and you need that extra cargo space behind the back seat. My large dog loves the room he has there behind the back seat. When you need even more room, just fold down the back seats and WOW you have a lot more space. Driving is fun, with quick steering response and peppy little engine will get you up to hwy speed quickly. I have almost 50,000 miles on mine, and I have had no problems. I just follow the routine maintenance suggestions and that is it. I am retired, and my drive each day usually is about 3 to 12 miles with stops or lights in-between. I average 24 mpg. When I do take a trip, I get about 32-33 mpg on

My favorite features are the space and mpg + a very responsive engine.

Steering wheel. Change the design of the steering wheel. Remove the post at the bottom of the steering wheel.

3 years later!
By n1luf

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 3 years of driving this car I can say it still is a joy to drive. The out side of the finish still shines. The motor is just a little loud when you give it the gas. Better yet is the mileage for me in Connecticut, 33 city...45 highway.
I found using Castrol edge or Quaker state ultimate pure synthetic oils produce better mileage. Inside of the car remain about the same. Satellite radio in car works well. All the gages have work and light up. Seats and floor still in good shape.
Overall car works well.

Satellite radio sounds great. With time you can set the radio to really rock even with low volume. All gages remain lite no lights out great! Fit and finish good.

Towing is weak. Car worked hard on trip. Car needs 10 more hp.The gas door sticks, this is because the mech. greased it. The correction is gluing in a small spring to pop the door open not a big problem. Tail lights failed and both sides replaced. AC weak...fix is adding a second fan 10 or 12 inch on front side to blow the air through condenser faster.

A very pleasant surprise
By guybrarian

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We're a small family of 3 and we decided to upgrade from a subcompact after the arrival of #3. After 1 year of research - I was looking for more space and more safety - I stumbled upon this gem. There is more than enough space for road tripping and the cabin is quiet and well designed. I enjoy not seeing the car everywhere...In the past 4 weeks I've seen only 2!

ESC, integrated ipod capability, MPG

It's not a particularly quick car, but does just fine getting up to highway speed