2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:
Fun to drive
By jhitchens on 05/12/13 14:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an excellent choice if you are looking for a car that is fun to drive and you need that extra cargo space behind the back seat. My large dog loves the room he has there behind the back seat. When you need even more room, just fold down the back seats and WOW you have a lot more space. Driving is fun, with quick steering response and peppy little engine will get you up to hwy speed quickly. I have almost 50,000 miles on mine, and I have had no problems. I just follow the routine maintenance suggestions and that is it. I am retired, and my drive each day usually is about 3 to 12 miles with stops or lights in-between. I average 24 mpg. When I do take a trip, I get about 32-33 mpg on

3 years later!
By n1luf on 10/19/11 10:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 3 years of driving this car I can say it still is a joy to drive. The out side of the finish still shines. The motor is just a little loud when you give it the gas. Better yet is the mileage for me in Connecticut, 33 city...45 highway. I found using Castrol edge or Quaker state ultimate pure synthetic oils produce better mileage. Inside of the car remain about the same. Satellite radio in car works well. All the gages have work and light up. Seats and floor still in good shape. Overall car works well.

A very pleasant surprise
By guybrarian on 08/21/11 10:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We're a small family of 3 and we decided to upgrade from a subcompact after the arrival of #3. After 1 year of research - I was looking for more space and more safety - I stumbled upon this gem. There is more than enough space for road tripping and the cabin is quiet and well designed. I enjoy not seeing the car everywhere...In the past 4 weeks I've seen only 2!

Dis-satisfaction
By wasp2 on 05/13/11 12:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am really unhappy with my choice. There are only 50 thousand miles on my car and they have to replace the transmission. Now I have gotten very nervous about what will happen further along the way. I had a Toyota Corolla with 134 thousand miles on it and have never had to replace anything. All I did ws normal maintenance for usual wear and tear. A few months after I pruchased the Elantra the seat covers started sagging and they told me it is normal wear. I don' t know what experience others have had with their Elantra, I would some feedback.

Update on my 5/something/2010 review
By babaaus on 04/30/11 14:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Now at 58K and STILL loving this fun little car! It's so much fun to drive with the 5-speed manual and it cruises right along. Plenty of get-up and go! I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

Great for Commuting
By NCdrvr on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Based on good CR ratings for the Elantra SE sedan, I bought the Touring model when it first came out. Not easy to find with the manual transmission - but I preferred the performance of the Hyundai 2.0 engine with 5 spd over the Toyota Matrix 1.8 engine. Some reviewers have found this car to ride a little rough, but personally I think other Hyundai models are a little too spongy. This car is very roomy for its size - I managed to get a 9 cu. ft. freezer in the back with room to spare. More than enough space for four adults - rear seats are another advantage over the Toyota Matrix or Mazda 3 hatchbacks. I'm averaging 29 MPG in commuting, 34 on long trips - would like to see a 6 spd manual.

Eighteen Months Later
By Mister Digger on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

At 58,300 miles and 18 months of very reliable ownership, it was time to trade this one in on something bigger and more comfortable. I now have a bone spur on my heel, so this very reliable car suddenly did not meet my needs. I had to trade up to a small crossover SUV, which wound up not being another Hyundai. Like Honda, the Hyundai seats seem to be made for durability rather than comfort. Big people like me may find them a bit uncomfortable. Also, it seems that most other drivers on the road hate the way this car looks, so they are constantly trying to push this underpowered car out the way. It also looked like each driver behind me was sitting in my cargo area. A bit unnerving!

Great car, great price!
By maple on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After doing a lot of research, I decided that the Touring was the car for me. I wanted a hatchback, and I wasn't happy with what was on the market (except possibly the Mazda 3). This car fit the bill - it's roomy, comfortable, reliable, gets great gas mileage and versatile! Not to mention the very reasonable price tag! I got a manual transmission, so it's pretty fun to drive, too.

Great car
By GJH on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know why Hyundai has kept this car a secret. It's a great all purpose car, lot of room for my sporting gear; my dog loves it. Hwy cruising gets in the low 30's and even stop and go suburban driving is around 28 mpg. Wheelbase is longer than the sedan, it is a nice thruway cruiser. Only complaint is the reverse lockout on the manual -- it's a pull up type, I'd rather just have a gear position. I've had my Elantra Touring 1 1/2 yrs with zero problems. I'm always recommending to folks looking for a great price with lots of features, and lots of utility.

I'm satisfied
By lh on 08/05/10 06:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is a wagon with great utility and nice design. We had it for more than a year and mostly for city driving with avg 25 mpg. Four adults and one toddler sit in it with plenty of room. When the back seat is folded down a queen mattress pad can fit in with some extra cargo. ABS and ESC are standard and worked well. The interior materials are of great quality, not some cheap foam and plastics. Overall a great buy!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatchback in VA is:

$129 per month*