Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:

Update on my 5/something/2010 review
By babaaus

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Now at 58K and STILL loving this fun little car! It's so much fun to drive with the 5-speed manual and it cruises right along. Plenty of get-up and go! I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

Great for Commuting
By NCdrvr

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Based on good CR ratings for the Elantra SE sedan, I bought the Touring model when it first came out. Not easy to find with the manual transmission - but I preferred the performance of the Hyundai 2.0 engine with 5 spd over the Toyota Matrix 1.8 engine. Some reviewers have found this car to ride a little rough, but personally I think other Hyundai models are a little too spongy. This car is very roomy for its size - I managed to get a 9 cu. ft. freezer in the back with room to spare. More than enough space for four adults - rear seats are another advantage over the Toyota Matrix or Mazda 3 hatchbacks. I'm averaging 29 MPG in commuting, 34 on long trips - would like to see a 6 spd manual.

Favorite Features

XM radio with USB, alloy wheels, manual transmission, sporty handling, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Six speed manual would help with MPG and noise at higher speeds - highest fuel economy occurs at about 50 mph - would prefer that peak MPG was at 65.

Great car, great price!
By maple

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After doing a lot of research, I decided that the Touring was the car for me. I wanted a hatchback, and I wasn't happy with what was on the market (except possibly the Mazda 3). This car fit the bill - it's roomy, comfortable, reliable, gets great gas mileage and versatile! Not to mention the very reasonable price tag! I got a manual transmission, so it's pretty fun to drive, too.

Favorite Features

Reliability, roominess, versatility, fuel economy (avg 34 mpg with mostly highway driving) and standard USB/ IPod port.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise on the highway could be less.

Great car
By GJH

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know why Hyundai has kept this car a secret. It's a great all purpose car, lot of room for my sporting gear; my dog loves it. Hwy cruising gets in the low 30's and even stop and go suburban driving is around 28 mpg. Wheelbase is longer than the sedan, it is a nice thruway cruiser. Only complaint is the reverse lockout on the manual -- it's a pull up type, I'd rather just have a gear position. I've had my Elantra Touring 1 1/2 yrs with zero problems. I'm always recommending to folks looking for a great price with lots of features, and lots of utility.

Favorite Features

Cargo room. Fuel economy. Fun to drive for a little wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Ax the pull up reverse lockout on the manual in favor of a gear position. My biggest suggest to Hyundai would be to let people know that it exits, it seems to be the forgotten child.

Great little car!
By janjer1

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this to carry my drums to and from gigs. Has plenty of cargo space and very comfortable for long highway trips. Have the manual trans which is very tight shifting - no slop between gears - nice. Have over 5k miles now and fuel economy is over 30mpg according to the dashboard indicator. Very happy with this little gem - yay Hyundai!

Favorite Features

5 speed trans - sunroof - good sound system - roomy and comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

Could be a bit more quick on 0 to 60.