2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:
Update on my 5/something/2010 review
By babaaus on 04/30/11 14:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Now at 58K and STILL loving this fun little car! It's so much fun to drive with the 5-speed manual and it cruises right along. Plenty of get-up and go! I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

Great for Commuting
By NCdrvr on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Based on good CR ratings for the Elantra SE sedan, I bought the Touring model when it first came out. Not easy to find with the manual transmission - but I preferred the performance of the Hyundai 2.0 engine with 5 spd over the Toyota Matrix 1.8 engine. Some reviewers have found this car to ride a little rough, but personally I think other Hyundai models are a little too spongy. This car is very roomy for its size - I managed to get a 9 cu. ft. freezer in the back with room to spare. More than enough space for four adults - rear seats are another advantage over the Toyota Matrix or Mazda 3 hatchbacks. I'm averaging 29 MPG in commuting, 34 on long trips - would like to see a 6 spd manual.

Great car, great price!
By maple on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After doing a lot of research, I decided that the Touring was the car for me. I wanted a hatchback, and I wasn't happy with what was on the market (except possibly the Mazda 3). This car fit the bill - it's roomy, comfortable, reliable, gets great gas mileage and versatile! Not to mention the very reasonable price tag! I got a manual transmission, so it's pretty fun to drive, too.

Great car
By GJH on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know why Hyundai has kept this car a secret. It's a great all purpose car, lot of room for my sporting gear; my dog loves it. Hwy cruising gets in the low 30's and even stop and go suburban driving is around 28 mpg. Wheelbase is longer than the sedan, it is a nice thruway cruiser. Only complaint is the reverse lockout on the manual -- it's a pull up type, I'd rather just have a gear position. I've had my Elantra Touring 1 1/2 yrs with zero problems. I'm always recommending to folks looking for a great price with lots of features, and lots of utility.

Great little car!
By janjer1 on 05/13/10 08:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this to carry my drums to and from gigs. Has plenty of cargo space and very comfortable for long highway trips. Have the manual trans which is very tight shifting - no slop between gears - nice. Have over 5k miles now and fuel economy is over 30mpg according to the dashboard indicator. Very happy with this little gem - yay Hyundai!

Update on my 9/21/2009 review
By Happy Camper on 05/11/10 12:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Still lovin' this car after having put over 27K on it. Performed satisfactorily through the New England winter and it's still fun to drive. I do find that I rarely seem to get it into reverse with first try; have to give it another extra little push when I hear the gears grumbling. One somewhat annoying little bugaboo that started happening last fall is the driverside door locking by itself when I get out. Seems that I might be slamming the door too hard (from all those years of driving larger cars with bigger and heavier doors, I guess) which sets the latch to lock.

Fun to drive, great value!
By gklblue on 02/25/10 17:55 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 5 Speed Manual version with the sport package (17" Alloy Wheels, Sunroof, XM-Radio, etc.)in July 2009 and I looooove that car!!! Had to wait a week (manual is hard to get - dealer got it from a different state 240 miles away). I am from Germany so I love the european style (interior & exterior). Did a lot of research and the Touring was by far the best deal out there. Tons of standard features, overall quality is impressive, I get 26 mp (about 30% Highway driving). The handling is responsive, no complains here. The ride is a little stiff. Engine has enough power for the size of the car. Very roomy, I love the Hatchback versatility!!! Unbeatable Warranty!

Nice vehicle for the price
By John on 01/08/10 20:40 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like every thing about this vehicle except the the way the steering wheel is built. With one of the three connecting post right at the bottom of the steering wheel, it makes it difficult to place your hand in a comfortable position without reaching for the top of the steering wheel. Gas mileage could be better. 24 is the best i can get. Of course, most of my driving is city..stop and go.

perfect commuter car
By rich and audra c on 10/11/09 14:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a fuel efficient third vehicle for 52 mile round trip work commute. Looked at several small sedans but lacked space needed to haul horse feed and other farm items. Drove the automatic hyundai touring but seemed a little sluggish. Finally found a manual transmission and the drive was very spirited. Gas mileage in mixed driving around 31 MPG and just over 33 MPG on the highway. Wish it had a six speed transmission always feels as if you need to shift one more time. Plenty of torque nice and quiet below 4000 RPM. Good list of standard features for the price opted for the sports package with 17 inch wheels and sunroof.

Good to have wagon back in Hyundai
By J on 10/05/09 15:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I retired a '99 Elantra wagon with over 200 K miles having almost no mechanical problems, but like a lot of cars in the northeast, lots of rust. I was looking for another wagon and was really happy when Hyundai returned to the wagon market with the touring. I've had the car for a little over 2 months and 4000 miles and am very happy with it. I live in a mountainous area and average 37-38 MPG in mixed speed driving, all 65 mph or under. There is almost as much interior room as the '99 wagon. The seats are comfortable for driving long distances. The Edmunds site was very helpful in purchasing and knowing what price to expect.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring in NJ is:

$232 per month*