Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:

Really impressed after 82,000 miles
By pistolpete10

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it new in 2009. Of all the imports I bought before, (Mazda and Honda) this car had by far the most comfortable driving seat. Well padded and a lumbar support, with every which way adjustment, which was important for my frequent long drives. Very reliable, amazing storage room which I've used time and again. Minor glitch in that speakers had to be replaced twice, under warranty and replaced brake pedal once for squeaking. Love the steering feel especially in tight city driving. More then enough power on highway etc, even though it's buzzy. So far less problems than I've ever had with previous other cars. Wouldn't trade it in for anything else though I've been asked to, many times.

Really comfy drivers seats with lumbar support which is/was rare in this category of cars, big reason I initially considered this car. Good visibility all around, tremendous brakes. More than enough leg room for passengers in rear. Simple easy dashboard. Reliable so far,. Great handling. All my family members want to borrow this car for either long drives or hauling things.

Additional gears (in the 4 speed automatic) as you can really feel a long gap between the first and second gear. (you get used to it). Refining the engine, as it gets loud when pushed (but does the job more than adequately.) Better rear speakers. Better city mileage. (moot point since this car has now become the GT, which has nowhere the storage capacity this one does but apparently had an efficient modern engine.) Timing chain vs. current timing belt, would have been nice. Better padding or other material for the storage area as it gets easily scratched. It was hard to find a manual transmission model in 09. All minor beefs. Really a wonderful car. Too bad it's gone.

Fun to drive
By jhitchens

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an excellent choice if you are looking for a car that is fun to drive and you need that extra cargo space behind the back seat. My large dog loves the room he has there behind the back seat. When you need even more room, just fold down the back seats and WOW you have a lot more space. Driving is fun, with quick steering response and peppy little engine will get you up to hwy speed quickly. I have almost 50,000 miles on mine, and I have had no problems. I just follow the routine maintenance suggestions and that is it. I am retired, and my drive each day usually is about 3 to 12 miles with stops or lights in-between. I average 24 mpg. When I do take a trip, I get about 32-33 mpg on

My favorite features are the space and mpg + a very responsive engine.

Steering wheel. Change the design of the steering wheel. Remove the post at the bottom of the steering wheel.

3 years later!
By n1luf

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 3 years of driving this car I can say it still is a joy to drive. The out side of the finish still shines. The motor is just a little loud when you give it the gas. Better yet is the mileage for me in Connecticut, 33 city...45 highway. I found using Castrol edge or Quaker state ultimate pure synthetic oils produce better mileage. Inside of the car remain about the same. Satellite radio in car works well. All the gages have work and light up. Seats and floor still in good shape. Overall car works well.

Satellite radio sounds great. With time you can set the radio to really rock even with low volume. All gages remain lite no lights out great! Fit and finish good.

Towing is weak. Car worked hard on trip. Car needs 10 more hp.The gas door sticks, this is because the mech. greased it. The correction is gluing in a small spring to pop the door open not a big problem. Tail lights failed and both sides replaced. AC weak...fix is adding a second fan 10 or 12 inch on front side to blow the air through condenser faster.

A very pleasant surprise
By guybrarian

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We're a small family of 3 and we decided to upgrade from a subcompact after the arrival of #3. After 1 year of research - I was looking for more space and more safety - I stumbled upon this gem. There is more than enough space for road tripping and the cabin is quiet and well designed. I enjoy not seeing the car everywhere...In the past 4 weeks I've seen only 2!

ESC, integrated ipod capability, MPG

It's not a particularly quick car, but does just fine getting up to highway speed

Dis-satisfaction
By wasp2

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am really unhappy with my choice. There are only 50 thousand miles on my car and they have to replace the transmission. Now I have gotten very nervous about what will happen further along the way. I had a Toyota Corolla with 134 thousand miles on it and have never had to replace anything. All I did ws normal maintenance for usual wear and tear. A few months after I pruchased the Elantra the seat covers started sagging and they told me it is normal wear. I don' t know what experience others have had with their Elantra, I would some feedback.