2016 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

It's tough to get a "GREAT" out of me, ever but...
By Jay Cobbs aka. Justhanginon

2016 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Hello viewers, Jay here. First, I was very hesitant to buy any hatchback and test drove many used hatchbacks like... KIA SOUL, FORD FOCUS,SUBARU FORESTER AND IMPRESSA THE KIA FORTE HATCH AND EVEN A FORD C-MAX, JUST TO NAME A FEW. All my cars were used, to see how well they felt ( weathered) over time and none were older then 2013 models. Since I love the outdoors and I'm now disabled, I and need reliable transportation and maybe something fun, more than ever I always buy a car thinking THIS IS THE LAST CAR I'M BUYING FOREVER AND WOULD I WANT TO DRIVE THIS THAT LONG>>>FOREVER, and with that in mind..we begin. I have driven over 3 dozen cars, trucks , vans and owned over a dozen cars in my day. So now hitting 60 years old and getting tired of the same old crap. Have owned everything from A 94' GEO METRO-PONTIAC GRAND AM-OPEL KADET-CHEVY MALIBU( 1969 AND A 2000 MODELS ) STATIONWAGONS, SEDANS,COUPES, EVEN A 70' VW BUS AND TWO BUGS 1966 AND19 67 MODELS AND have been a truck driver in the bay area for over 20 years...so most cars don't suprise me anymore But then I saw the 2015-2016 ELANTRA GT. Well first, the looks are really great and the interior is very handsome and well thought out and logical for a under 25k car . Its very well built and no cheap feel inside or out, as if they asked me to design something for everyone's taste . The doors thud with a very solid thud (even the rear hatch ) and controls are very AUDI LIKE. ( because the main designer for AUDI now works for Hyundai) Next, the Engine performance is very important to me since I just traded-in my V-6 Malibu full size car, and let me tell you this car moves... the Elantra GT 92015-2016 models only) has more power than my V-6 Chevy and it show...boy does it move , so what if I can't get the MPG of a boring corrolla, who cares. But with 40 more horses under the hood it's .WWHHEEE, not just GOT THERE.The transmission is very smooth but is working for MPG, so shifts are quick and is a REAL 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION with OVERDRIVE and I get 36 mpg hyway and 28 city like a nissan versa so I'm wowed by a 173 horsepower engine that's more powerful than a v-6 and still gets that milage in the real world ( i buy only top tier gas like union 76-chevron or ARCO for these results so what's top tier gas...google it ) aAnd since I hate CVT transmissions and I get these MPG numbers daily, give me a solid 6 speed tranny any day, and it delivers plenty. This auto has a wonderful MANUAL mode shifter but the auto does a great job too. The seats are very as comfy like the lexus 330 roadster/hatchback I drovebut wasn't going to spend 35,000 for that, but got damn close in my ELANTRA GT with 173 horses. It's ride is sport tuned,( that means a bit stiff to you and me, to hung the road more than a sedan) so If you what a lexus or a sonata ride, look elsewhere. The GT really stants for "GREAT TURNING AND CITY CAR" . Driving on uneven pavement or bumpy freeways will be a bit of a learning curve, for large sedan drivers so test drive it over railroad tracks and broken pavement nearby your car dealer and take your time..Rule 1 or car shopping is, If you plan to own it for more than 5 years take at least 20 mins. on a test drive and don't go the way the salesman tells you ( because it's the smoothest route, duh! ) Also roll down all windows and turn off any A/C and listen for any noises( salesman like to talk to you to distract you from this and problems on the car) before going for it...T )HYUNDAI MODELS HAVE On top of that a 10 year- 100k mile powertrain and 5 years 60k bumper to bumper. My CPO used one also came with 10 year roadside services free !!!! try that ford, toyota, vw nissan and all the rest, I DARE YOU THIS CAR IS SEXY,SMART, CLASSY and has a KILLER SOUND SYSTEM even on my base model, so no complants in the tunes department It's really a car for anyone's whole family. Go camping, full size bike packing, and even has 51 CUBIC CARGO FT AREA like my sisters CHEV VOLT and not a tiny 1.3L or 1.8 engine to beg up a hill or through a canyon pass like all the others..Just plenty of FUN AND GUTS for such a versatile RIDE ROCKET......GET IN ....Strap down....AND HOLD ON....and leave the others are in the dust..Literally and like that name says is it LITER or RALLY ? you decide...Jay justhangin on

Great all around car.
By Brian

2016 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car mainly for the reliability, and the space in the trunk for hauling things. I have the style package which adds rims and fog lamps. Many other Hyundai owners have approached me on how good this car looks. I have added a bike rack to the car roof, but I am also able to fit a bike in the back with the seats folded down. The interior is basic but nice. I did not want the tech package because I like how simple the stock controls are and do not need all the driver aids like rear view park assist. If you can't back up a car this small successfully you have bigger problems. The 2.0 motor is very peppy but the automatic trans keeps the revs very low for fuel economy. At one point i got 40 mpg on a long highway trip but in town it drops sharply to about 28 mpg. The sports suspension makes the car very flat around corners at speed. I only have two complaints is that you have to get the bare bones base model to get the excellent 6 speed manual, also the center arm rest likes to slide forward if you are using it as a support to get in and out of the car.

Great value in a hatchback.
By Jim

2016 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I like the utility of a small hatchback. I shopped many different models. The Elantra GT was the best overall value. The most standard features and performance for he price. The Elantra GT has great performance, cargo room, and styling. The 173hp standard engine is more powerful than the standard engine in most other small cars. The handling is very quick and precise. ABS disc brakes at all four wheels is another nice standard feature.
Fold down the rear seats and you have 51 cu ft of cargo space. Nice. If you are shopping for a small hatchback, compare this to the others.

Make sure to ask question and test the vehicle
By Bill Parker

2016 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Starting with the USB port does not charge Iphones. In less then 3000 miles had to replace 2 front tires in my Elantra GT due too the tires being so low and not able to handle medium size potholes. If you live in a state with no pothole you will be fine but here in the Northeast after blowing the tire you will paranoid thinking if I am going to be left on the road again.The AM/FM reception is very poor. Gas mileage average at the moment is about 20 MPG.Also ask if you have a problem with the vehicle how long it will take to look at the vehicle( my dealer about 2 weeks ). 3d not available on the navigation system.

Ahh, the last year of the GT Hatchback i30
By Shane

2016 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you are looking for a nice commuter vehicle this is really a good choice. The ride is smooth and the 2.0L 173 Horsepower Engine is the same engine used for the 2.0L Turbo-Charged 245 Horsepower Engine used in the 2015+ Sonata. So minus the boost from the turbo, the engine is respectfully peppy, in particular when used in the sport shifting mode, keeping the engine in its maximum torque range, (3500 to 4500 RPM). It makes a very nice jump on to the highway. The digital steering control allows you to switch the steering feel mode from Normal> Comfort> Sport. Its a nice touch, in particular for a little fun on the curvy back-roads in my county.

The sound system is quite good for the stock stereo system. It really doesn't need much more than it has. I would only add that some slightly better quality speakers would indeed make a difference. I say this because I spend much time in this vehicle and have a tendency to bring a laptop and watch movies with a patch-cord jacked into the AUX Outlet, to plumb sound through the vehicle's sound system. Needless to say action films tend to tax the speakers a little bit, so mine might be visiting my local stereo shop for a minor upgrade in that department.

For this aspect I have to be realistic. Understand the Elantra GT is not based on the same body as the sedan. The vehicle is actually physically shorter by nearly a foot in length. So the back seats in this vehicle are OK for young kids, but teens or adults, forget it! I have fairly long legs, so the seat on the driver's side is nearly all the way back. However, if you are like my wife and I, and have no children, then this aspect really doesn't matter.

The cargo area is great, I have no issues this this department. The rear seats in the hatchback have a double fold procedure to make the rear cargo area extremely large. For myself as a Firearm Instructor this is particularly important when I need to load my range equipment into this vehicle.

The vehicle in total is very roomy, plenty of head-room and front leg room.

If you are looking for a great vehicle, this is quiet a nice car for the price. I have the Option Package #2, which is the "Style Package". This comes with the 17 Inch Alloy Rims, Fog-Lights, 6 Speed Automatic/Sport Shift Transmission and Power Driver's Seat. There are many other bells and whistles with the GT Hatchback Model that does not come on the Sedan until you get into the other option packages.