Love this car, but...
By cafiestase on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
This is my second Elantra...wow, what a difference. The other was a 2008 SE. This has more power, ride is much better. My one is a big difference for the and the wife and I fell in love with lines and the "Red", I mean "Red". I am looking for better mileage, but I only have 1,800 miles on the clock. My last car was a 2011 Ford Fiesta W/6-speed trans that need work at 30K, so we traded it for the Elantra GT, even so, when ever I traveled for over 100 miles, I got a min. of 40mpg so where is the 37mpg Hyundai???
Favorite Features
Well, of course I love the warranty, The Elantra GT is way more quite to drive, the steering is tighter, and many more amenities. Softer over-all ride quality. I drove this car from Riverside area to Yuma, AZ and back; only achieved 29MPG one way, and 32MPG the other. Nearly all of this trip was divided highway or Freeway and considering that only drove 70 MPH. I expected much better...perhaps when the car gets more miles on the clock, MPG will improve!
Suggested Improvements
To say that I am a car nut, is a correct statement. Since 2000, I have owned "8" new automobiles, including the Elantra GT. Improvements, at this point in this ownership, I have not found any recommendations for improvement, that is said with a car with very few miles... Stay tuned...
By doug_pardee
on 09/23/13 09:46 AM (PDT)

In my experience, 32 mpg at 70 mph is about right. Maybe 33. The Elantra GT seems to be unusually susceptible to slurping down fuel when driven hard or driven fast. At 65 mph, you'll get a lot closer to the rated 37 mpg. At 60, probably a shade over 40 mpg. At 55 mph, upper 40s. (These numbers are with cruise control on, on level roads with minimal wind). Also, it only takes a few miles of low-mpg driving to pull down the average mpg.