dissapointing gas mileage
By tracey17 on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
This car is reasonably zippy for a small car, although not quite as good as my first impression during the test drives. The fuel economy was a big factor in choosing this car and, in this, I am very dissapointed. I drove a manual 2001 Honda Civic EX for a few years prior and I LOVED that car...plenty of zip and mpg ranged from 32-34. I drove a couple different years of Ford Escape as a company car as well and it was a solid 24mpg. It is a tough MN winter and I am seeing 17-21mpg in this ElantraGT. In the couple months before the snow hit I was still lucky to get 26mpg overall and 32mpg on the highway, even in Eco-mode and being very conscientious about driving conservatively for a week.
Favorite Features
Interior quality, exterior styling, reasonable power, features all nice. It handles as expected in the snow/ice for a lightweight, low profile car...but I'm making it through the MN snow just fine. I can fit a ton of stuff in the little hatch area and the "organization" tray that is under the floor is great for my "just in case" stuff that I like to tote around. I also like that it has the little cover for the hatch area so I don't feel so "naked" (place to put my purse, etc. out of tempation's sight). I also tote around a tennis bag and a volleyball bag on a regular occassion. I'm generally pleased with everything except the gas mileage.
Suggested Improvements
I like nearly everything about the car except for the extremely dissapointing gas mileage. Also, I ended up with a navigation system that I didn't want because I was on a timeline and that was all they could locate in a search of the bordering states so I went with it. 50% of the time the GPS cannot find a long-existing restaurant or POI in a category so I have to look it up on my phone anyway. I'm going to have the dealership update the gps to see if that helps but it seems that, by this stage of the technology, vehichle nav systems could be more up to date without all the hassle.