Careful. This LEMON needs a lot of work.
By elantragtowner on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
I purchased this brand new 3 months ago, and am now having to take it in for it's 7th or 8th visit. I've lost track. The vehicle steering system was defective or just poor design to begin with. On the highway, if I relaxed my hand, it would fly off the road to the left. It was very dangerous, and I got into a few close calls because of this. It took 6 attempts for the shop to get it adequate. By adequate I mean it isn't 100%, but they fixed it "enough" to where I can tolerate it. Now I have to take the vehicle in again due to engine trouble. It's been taking the engine 20-30 seconds to wind down from 5,000RPM to 1000RPM when you shift into neutral. It's getting worse. Not happy at all.
Favorite Features
The quality of the interior is easily on par with an entry level Lexus.
Suggested Improvements
Before launching a new electronic steering system, maybe really put it to the test before placing it in the hands of unsuspecting customers. This car may be suffering from the same thing the Sonata Turbo was suffering from (research Sonata left pulling issue). I test drove another new Elantra GT on the lot. It suffered from bad steering pull as well. Another one drove perfectly straight. My suggestion for future buyers: pay CLOSE attention to the way the vehicle steers. With the exception of the above problems I have had, the car is otherwise a nice car. Unfortunately, my opinion of Hyundai's is tarnished due to my frustration with repeated visits. I'll stick with the Japanese next time.