After 3000 Miles - There are some regrets
By efav on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
Bought it because it had good cargo space, 4 and 5 star crash test ratings, it was comfortable, good warranty, and sticker said 28-39 mpg. Figured with good mileage like that, I could spend the extra money and buy this car as a long term investment. The reality is the mileage is awful when compared to the sticker. Like other reviewers here, my real world MPG is 25 city, 26/27 on my commute, and 31 road trip with no stops for over 300 miles. Quite disappointed. I am conservative driver, and received 29-33 in my old Sentra. The refund program will reimburse me for only 1 mpg difference, not 5-7 mpg difference. The cost of the MPG difference will cost me almost $400/yr more at current prices.
Favorite Features
Great amenities and comfort. Great sun visors (may sound stupid unless you're in the know). Like the map lights behind the visors a LOT. Better to see besides the lights in the center near the mirror. Bluetooth in the car works well. Love the usb port location! Probably my favorite little thing. Easier to charge cell phone (which I use for GPS). When not doing that, I have a micro SD card in a little USB adapter, and play music there. Easy to grab at the location and switch it out. Cargo space used twice and very good both times. Once was two suitcases, and two duffels, with some pushing, but all in the back. Another time was a folding table and chairs, cooler, and more, with seats down.
Suggested Improvements
Aside from MPG? I do a lot of driving before sun up, & come home after sun down. Half the commute has no street lights. Night vision is important to avoid deer, children, obstacles, etc., & could be improved a lot. Buttons on the mirror for BlueLink, their version of OnStar, are so bright, I covered them up with black stickers. Console doesn't dim enough. Must drive with radio off at night, because the center display is SO bright with it dimmed all the way, it's like having a cell phone in a move theater. No place to tie down the hatch. Had a banquet table hanging out the back. Had to improvise using the hand grips & custom bungees. Visibility backing up is poor. Thought I could deal.