Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

A fantastic value, and what a true hatchback should be.
By throwingshade

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I test drove all available 5 door hatchbacks on the market right now, and ended up with the Elantra GT. It was a toss up between it or the Ford Focus for me. What swayed me was the styling, including the interior. Nice! This car sets the bar for style and good looks. Also the warranties and standard feature set can't be beat. Although I did opt for the touch and go package, which includes keyless entry with push button start, sport suspension and 17 inch wheels. Hyundai has come a long way since the Excel, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. Toyota & Honda better do some homework, especially with their styling. Hyundais' are much better looking, inside and out.

Bluetooth audio options! They are easy to set up and use, although you have to be clear and concise when saying commands. I can actually play my music in the cloud with the steering wheel controls, something I couldn't do in quite a few competitors' cars. The audio/ac controls are well laid out and do not require a second glance. Anyone can find a comfortable driving position, the steering wheel is tilt/telescoping and the drivers' seat has a huge rake. I love the standard heated seats, as I didn't have to spring for a costly package. It's really quiet on the freeway, and the mileage is excellent too. Especially on extended freeway jaunts. The alloy wheels with chrome pockets exude class.

This car needs about 20-30 more horsepower. I've had harrowing highway merging and passing maneuvers for this reason. I see the upcoming KIA Forte5 has just the right amount of horsepower, even with the base engine. There are no basic options for tweaking the audio controls, like bass/treble/cross/fade, etc. Very strange. Visibility/blind spots are somewhat of an issue, but most cab forward designs suffer from this. The controls are a bit of a reach, and if you need to use them in a hurry its noticeable. The ac control needs 5 positions, not 4. Going from 3 position to max is very noticeable. I also do not like that the gas cap can be opened when the car is parked and unlocked, a major flaw.

It's a Love-Hate Relationship
By nanne8

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about six months and have some regrets about buying it. It looks great - both the interior and exterior designs are excellent. And the technology it's equipped with (I have the tech/style pkg) beats any other car in its segment. However, there are some major deficiencies: (1) the gas mileage is nowhere near what Hyundai claims. The most I've ever gotten is 30mpg highway and 27 combined. That's driving conservatively in eco mode the entire time; (2) the ride is VERY harsh - you feel every (I mean EVERY) bump in the road and forget about going over rough pavement, bumps, or potholes. I feel like I'm riding in a school bus. (3) the acceleration/power stinks...badly.

Panoramic sunroof, backup camera, interior design, cargo space

Need to soften the ride and improve gas mileage

miss my subaru
By ecormack

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

very disappointed in my gas milage. Best I've gotten is 27mpg. My subaru with all wheel drive got that. I should have gotten something different

gas milage.

Excellent Interior and Value with some regrets
By depiction

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Blue Interior (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I came from a 2005 Mazda3 and was looking to buy a new hatchback for the versatility. I test drove the Impreza, Mazda3, and the Elantra GT.

Thankfully I haven't noticed the MPG problems other owners have mentioned. In mixed driving I'm able to get 30-31 MPG with Active Eco mode off. After a couple tests, I've found Active Eco mode useless.

It's a great value with an excellent interior. Unfortunately it's suspension is very harsh and it's a bit noisy (both engine and wind noise). I feel every little bump on the road. even after upgrading to excellent Michelin tires. At 65 MPH, interior noise is about 75 db, as measured by an app on my iPhone. A 2010 Mazda3 measures about 70 db.

The Elantra GT is a great value with an excellent interior. The interior is better than most all other cars in this segment. The panoramic roof is gorgeous. The rear seats fold down nicely for a flat loading area.

- Upgrade suspension for a softer ride - More powerful engine - More sound deadening

Nice Ride!
By antoniog71

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is simply awesome. Looks very small, but it is VERY comfortable, even for big people like me and my family. It rides super slick and it looks nice as well. The interior is nice, very nice. This car is perfect for any 4 people, can fit 5, but looks like it will not be comfortable. Besides it being a GT, it is a good purchase for my family. It will be used to take us anywhere, and the mileage on this car is sweet. Nice Ride! You can't go wrong with this car.