Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

miss my subaru
By ecormack

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

very disappointed in my gas milage. Best I've gotten is 27mpg. My subaru with all wheel drive got that. I should have gotten something different

Suggested Improvements

gas milage.

Excellent Interior and Value with some regrets
By depiction

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Blue Interior (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I came from a 2005 Mazda3 and was looking to buy a new hatchback for the versatility. I test drove the Impreza, Mazda3, and the Elantra GT. Thankfully I haven't noticed the MPG problems other owners have mentioned. In mixed driving I'm able to get 30-31 MPG with Active Eco mode off. After a couple tests, I've found Active Eco mode useless. It's a great value with an excellent interior. Unfortunately it's suspension is very harsh and it's a bit noisy (both engine and wind noise). I feel every little bump on the road. even after upgrading to excellent Michelin tires. At 65 MPH, interior noise is about 75 db, as measured by an app on my iPhone. A 2010 Mazda3 measures about 70 db.

Favorite Features

The Elantra GT is a great value with an excellent interior. The interior is better than most all other cars in this segment. The panoramic roof is gorgeous. The rear seats fold down nicely for a flat loading area.

Suggested Improvements

- Upgrade suspension for a softer ride - More powerful engine - More sound deadening

Nice Ride!
By antoniog71

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is simply awesome. Looks very small, but it is VERY comfortable, even for big people like me and my family. It rides super slick and it looks nice as well. The interior is nice, very nice. This car is perfect for any 4 people, can fit 5, but looks like it will not be comfortable. Besides it being a GT, it is a good purchase for my family. It will be used to take us anywhere, and the mileage on this car is sweet. Nice Ride! You can't go wrong with this car.

Love this car, but...
By cafiestase

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This is my second Elantra...wow, what a difference. The other was a 2008 SE. This has more power, ride is much better. My one is a big difference for the and the wife and I fell in love with lines and the "Red", I mean "Red". I am looking for better mileage, but I only have 1,800 miles on the clock. My last car was a 2011 Ford Fiesta W/6-speed trans that need work at 30K, so we traded it for the Elantra GT, even so, when ever I traveled for over 100 miles, I got a min. of 40mpg so where is the 37mpg Hyundai???

Favorite Features

Well, of course I love the warranty, The Elantra GT is way more quite to drive, the steering is tighter, and many more amenities. Softer over-all ride quality. I drove this car from Riverside area to Yuma, AZ and back; only achieved 29MPG one way, and 32MPG the other. Nearly all of this trip was divided highway or Freeway and considering that only drove 70 MPH. I expected much better...perhaps when the car gets more miles on the clock, MPG will improve!

Suggested Improvements

To say that I am a car nut, is a correct statement. Since 2000, I have owned "8" new automobiles, including the Elantra GT. Improvements, at this point in this ownership, I have not found any recommendations for improvement, that is said with a car with very few miles... Stay tuned...

Utility, not performance
By doug_pardee

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The Elantra GT is NOT an enthusiast's car. It's an extremely practical car that provides commuters a quiet and comfortable ride in a relatively upscale cabin, with flexibility for carrying passengers and cargo, or for taking road trips. And with excellent mileage if driven conservatively. Gas mileage: by many accounts, the Elantra GT is unusually sensitive to how it's driven. At 60 mph with cruise control on, I get maybe 42 mpg. Mileage drops off sharply with additional speed, or with cruise control off. After a cold start, maybe 15 mpg for the first mile. When slowing, I take my foot completely off the gas to activate Deceleration Fuel CutOff. I've gotten right at 30 mpg on every tankful.

Favorite Features

Note: 2013 Elantra GT, 1.8L PZEV, Automatic, w/Touch-and-Go package. Luxurious features, ride, and feel at a low price point. Short body with tight turning radius for easy maneuverability. Lots of headroom both front and rear (no sunroof on mine); good legroom, too. Versatile cargo loading. Excellent fuel mileage when driven nicely. Not a single problem in the four months I've owned it. Well, except for a buzzing from my sunglasses in the sunglasses holder. Simply opening and closing the holder rotates the sunglasses so they stop buzzing. My Atlantic Blue Elantra GT is usually the sharpest-looking car in whatever parking lot it's sitting in. To my eyes, anyway.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility out the rear and into the blind spots is almost non-existent. A puny rear window, rear-seat headrests, and large C-pillars block the view out the back. The high beltline blocks the view into the blind spots. Asymmetric windshield wipers dump squeegeed water into the driver's field of vision on both up-sweep and down-sweep. BlueLink telematics seems pointless unless you don't have a mobile phone. Speaking of the mobile phone, the Bluetooth hands-free feature only works when the entertainment system is turned on; I put a dummy plug in the Aux jack and select the Aux input so I can have both quiet and hands-free Bluetooth.