Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

Push Button Start Not Working
By nothappy2013

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased the 2013 Elantra GT 8/31/13, no start issues until 11/15/13. Very nice vehicle except it will not start daily without pressing the brake and start button multiple times. Stranded once and called Roadside Assistance. They tightened the positive battery terminal. Also stopped at the dealership later the same day and the negative terminal was tightened. Last problem required 19 attempts to start the vehicle, number 20 was the lucky number. A very frustrating problem, dealership tests showed no problems found, certainly something is going on. Second trip to the dealership Tues. 12/10.

The style is great, love the interior and the ride. The only issue is the push button start.

Would like to be able to by an upgraded vehicle from the dealer without the push button start. Seems that's all that is available on the lots these days. Need more options for those that may not want all the bells and whistles.

Tall-friendly and Winter Worthy!
By mushamush

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car has been incredible so far. I'm 6'3", 175 pounds. I fit comfortably, better yet, I can fit 3 more 6'+ people with no problem. Ride quality, engine noise and road noise all exceed my expectations in a very good way. I own a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 as well, the difference is staggering, and I love that car! The attention to detail and material quality really sets it apart from a lot of cars. Nothing feels cheap (and this is a Hyundai! Man, they've come a long way), nothing creaks or pops going down the road. I'm used to these small, 4 cylinder econoboxes being complete rattletraps. Not anymore. And it does well in snow. I couldn't be happier.

Ice cold AC that doesn't gouge performance Blazing hot heater. Heated mirrors when rear defrost is on. Bluetooth. Spare tire! Fold-flat cargo bay. Tough coating on rocker panels. Hood starts a few inches back so the plastic bumper takes the rock chips (this is genius). Incredible fuel economy. Heated cloth seats (awesome!) Push button start sounds unneeded, but leaving the keys in your coat is nice. All that with a smooth ride and nearly inaudible engine noise when cruising. Amazing how far these little econoboxes have come.

The blue backlight on the radio can be a little bright in night driving. There is a button to turn the display off, so it isn't a big deal, but it's honestly the only issue I've found so far. Seriously. Everything else has been aces. I would absolutely recommend this car. But really, go test drive it. It speaks pretty well for itself. I know I gave every category 5 stars, but I've personally owned a 2001 Focus ZX3, 2011 CR-V EX, and a 2012 Impala LTZ. This little squirt surpasses all of them in each category. Hard to say anything about reliability yet, but Hyundai's warranty is very nice.

So far, so good...
By richmonder1

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my Elantra GT almost three months and nearly 4000 miles. Mine came with the "Touch & Go" package. Additionally, I preferred the manual transmission. Which brings me to the point of my review: I am getting better than the advertised mileage. On the highway, with limits varying between 55 mph and 70 mph, I typically get between 39 and 40 mpg. Sometimes more but rarely less. Around town, I can get as much as 31 to 32 mpg or as little as 27 mpg. Typically, it will depend on the number of stoplights that trip has. Even with a canoe and a kayak on a Yakima rack, I was able to get 31 mpg on country secondary roads with 55 mph speed limits. The difference might be the transmission

Mileage, leg room, cargo space,

I would really prefer to have a gauge for the generator/alternator and one for the oil pressure as opposed to the "idiot lights". Also, my insurance carrier has provided me with a device that plugs into the OBD II port. Hopefully, that will result in some savings, but the panel cover will not fit with the device in place. I suspect this is a trend which will grow, so hopefully accommodations will be made for this in future models.

A fantastic value, and what a true hatchback should be.
By throwingshade

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I test drove all available 5 door hatchbacks on the market right now, and ended up with the Elantra GT. It was a toss up between it or the Ford Focus for me. What swayed me was the styling, including the interior. Nice! This car sets the bar for style and good looks. Also the warranties and standard feature set can't be beat. Although I did opt for the touch and go package, which includes keyless entry with push button start, sport suspension and 17 inch wheels. Hyundai has come a long way since the Excel, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. Toyota & Honda better do some homework, especially with their styling. Hyundais' are much better looking, inside and out.

Bluetooth audio options! They are easy to set up and use, although you have to be clear and concise when saying commands. I can actually play my music in the cloud with the steering wheel controls, something I couldn't do in quite a few competitors' cars. The audio/ac controls are well laid out and do not require a second glance. Anyone can find a comfortable driving position, the steering wheel is tilt/telescoping and the drivers' seat has a huge rake. I love the standard heated seats, as I didn't have to spring for a costly package. It's really quiet on the freeway, and the mileage is excellent too. Especially on extended freeway jaunts. The alloy wheels with chrome pockets exude class.

This car needs about 20-30 more horsepower. I've had harrowing highway merging and passing maneuvers for this reason. I see the upcoming KIA Forte5 has just the right amount of horsepower, even with the base engine. There are no basic options for tweaking the audio controls, like bass/treble/cross/fade, etc. Very strange. Visibility/blind spots are somewhat of an issue, but most cab forward designs suffer from this. The controls are a bit of a reach, and if you need to use them in a hurry its noticeable. The ac control needs 5 positions, not 4. Going from 3 position to max is very noticeable. I also do not like that the gas cap can be opened when the car is parked and unlocked, a major flaw.

It's a Love-Hate Relationship
By nanne8

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about six months and have some regrets about buying it. It looks great - both the interior and exterior designs are excellent. And the technology it's equipped with (I have the tech/style pkg) beats any other car in its segment. However, there are some major deficiencies: (1) the gas mileage is nowhere near what Hyundai claims. The most I've ever gotten is 30mpg highway and 27 combined. That's driving conservatively in eco mode the entire time; (2) the ride is VERY harsh - you feel every (I mean EVERY) bump in the road and forget about going over rough pavement, bumps, or potholes. I feel like I'm riding in a school bus. (3) the acceleration/power stinks...badly.

Panoramic sunroof, backup camera, interior design, cargo space

Need to soften the ride and improve gas mileage