Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

Over all great car!
By bkohs

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've been driving my GT for about 5 months now and have just under 3000mi on it. There have been zero mecanical issues as expected for such a new car. My wife was very suprised by me getting this car because I've been into either sprots cars, or SUV's for a while. I eneded up test driving the GT just to pass some time while my wife's car was in for service. Thats all it took for me was one test drive. I came back later that day to trade in my Jeep. I opted for a 6spd manual with the touch and go package which added 17" wheel, keyless entry, push button start, and sport pedals. It also had the homelink mirror which has a nice auto dim feature.

Interior, Sound system even on the base model is great! The looks are more reflective of a high dollar car. MPG's are great I'm getting an average of 29mpg with mostly city driving in congested South FL.

Not everything gets high praises with this car. There are a few places Hyundai fell a little short. First off the factory tires are garbage. This is the first time in my life I will be happy when the tires get low so I have an excuse to change them. Hyudai should have gone with a better brand for thier cars. The rear suspension can be a little sketchy when going over bumps while turning. I, for the most part, fixed this problem with changing the rear shocks to KYB's. It was only $150 for the parts and they made a world of difference. 1st and 6th gear are mostly useless on the manual trans. The gearing should be changed a little. Finally the Engine should have about 30 or so more HP.

17" Tires Extremely Prone to Damage
By jjbaltimore

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Elantra GT 2013 this past October. I loved the panoramic sunroof and got the style package. This included 17" low profile wheels and tires which look great, but BEWARE. Within 3 weeks this winter, average road conditions (meaning lots of potholes) resulted in 3 tires developing 3 sidewall bubbles. This included a tire that had just been replaced. There is an entire forum on this problem with this car and these tires. Read it. http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t35968_ds499866?actionMessages=Your+answer+has+been+posted.

Still love the sunroof and the adjustability of the seats, heated seats, arm rest extension. (I am 5'3")

The above tire issues resulted in $1500 in car rentals, tire replacements, and ultimately, the only real fix, buying 16" wheels and tires (not OE) and replacing the low profile nightmares. Hyundai will do nothing. Nexen tires will do nothing. If you live anywhere in a 4 season area, these tires can't handle anything but perfect road conditions. BTW this is true of most low profile tires on any car, which are becoming very popular with manufacturers for some unknown reason in recent years.

Great Small Family Car
By rem836

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I shopped and shopped and finally decided on the Elantra GT. Main factors in my decision were price and cargo space. I was a bit worried about fitting two car seats in the back seat, but both fit comfortably and the middle cup holder can still flip down...not that I'm going to show that feature to my kids! The car handled well in the winter ice and snow.

-Cargo Space -heated seats...very nice in the winter!

-more storage cubbies for spare change, etc.

dissapointing gas mileage
By tracey17

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is reasonably zippy for a small car, although not quite as good as my first impression during the test drives. The fuel economy was a big factor in choosing this car and, in this, I am very dissapointed. I drove a manual 2001 Honda Civic EX for a few years prior and I LOVED that car...plenty of zip and mpg ranged from 32-34. I drove a couple different years of Ford Escape as a company car as well and it was a solid 24mpg. It is a tough MN winter and I am seeing 17-21mpg in this ElantraGT. In the couple months before the snow hit I was still lucky to get 26mpg overall and 32mpg on the highway, even in Eco-mode and being very conscientious about driving conservatively for a week.

Interior quality, exterior styling, reasonable power, features all nice. It handles as expected in the snow/ice for a lightweight, low profile car...but I'm making it through the MN snow just fine. I can fit a ton of stuff in the little hatch area and the "organization" tray that is under the floor is great for my "just in case" stuff that I like to tote around. I also like that it has the little cover for the hatch area so I don't feel so "naked" (place to put my purse, etc. out of tempation's sight). I also tote around a tennis bag and a volleyball bag on a regular occassion. I'm generally pleased with everything except the gas mileage.

I like nearly everything about the car except for the extremely dissapointing gas mileage. Also, I ended up with a navigation system that I didn't want because I was on a timeline and that was all they could locate in a search of the bordering states so I went with it. 50% of the time the GPS cannot find a long-existing restaurant or POI in a category so I have to look it up on my phone anyway. I'm going to have the dealership update the gps to see if that helps but it seems that, by this stage of the technology, vehichle nav systems could be more up to date without all the hassle.

love it except ...
By sharoniowa

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car handles well in the snow and ice with impressive lower gears available in the automatic. It's comfortable and attractive.

Very comfortable, heated seats, two AC chargers, one mpg port and a USB port. Blue tooth and cruise work well. Roomy body, roomy trunk. Car defrosts well, side mirrors heat up when the defrosts are activated. Very good visibility.

Needs a rear window wiper blade as difficult for a shorter person to scrape. Improve the quality of the coating they sell for the windows, add a warning for exiting the car with the head lights left on, improve the actual gas mileage as well as the car's calculation of same. The car's mpg calculation has been off by as much as 7 - 10 mpg. My last tank of gas gave me only 17 mpg, compared to my usual 28-30 city, 390 miles per tank highway. Needs better cup holders and miscellaneous storage handy to the driver.