2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:
So far, so good...
By richmonder1 on 09/22/13 13:55 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my Elantra GT almost three months and nearly 4000 miles. Mine came with the "Touch & Go" package. Additionally, I preferred the manual transmission. Which brings me to the point of my review: I am getting better than the advertised mileage. On the highway, with limits varying between 55 mph and 70 mph, I typically get between 39 and 40 mpg. Sometimes more but rarely less. Around town, I can get as much as 31 to 32 mpg or as little as 27 mpg. Typically, it will depend on the number of stoplights that trip has. Even with a canoe and a kayak on a Yakima rack, I was able to get 31 mpg on country secondary roads with 55 mph speed limits. The difference might be the transmission

A fantastic value, and what a true hatchback should be.
By throwingshade on 08/08/13 00:16 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I test drove all available 5 door hatchbacks on the market right now, and ended up with the Elantra GT. It was a toss up between it or the Ford Focus for me. What swayed me was the styling, including the interior. Nice! This car sets the bar for style and good looks. Also the warranties and standard feature set can't be beat. Although I did opt for the touch and go package, which includes keyless entry with push button start, sport suspension and 17 inch wheels. Hyundai has come a long way since the Excel, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. Toyota & Honda better do some homework, especially with their styling. Hyundais' are much better looking, inside and out.

It's a Love-Hate Relationship
By nanne8 on 07/27/13 19:58 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about six months and have some regrets about buying it. It looks great - both the interior and exterior designs are excellent. And the technology it's equipped with (I have the tech/style pkg) beats any other car in its segment. However, there are some major deficiencies: (1) the gas mileage is nowhere near what Hyundai claims. The most I've ever gotten is 30mpg highway and 27 combined. That's driving conservatively in eco mode the entire time; (2) the ride is VERY harsh - you feel every (I mean EVERY) bump in the road and forget about going over rough pavement, bumps, or potholes. I feel like I'm riding in a school bus. (3) the acceleration/power stinks...badly.

miss my subaru
By ecormack on 06/22/13 23:45 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

very disappointed in my gas milage. Best I've gotten is 27mpg. My subaru with all wheel drive got that. I should have gotten something different

Excellent Interior and Value with some regrets
By depiction on 05/24/13 18:20 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Blue Interior (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I came from a 2005 Mazda3 and was looking to buy a new hatchback for the versatility. I test drove the Impreza, Mazda3, and the Elantra GT. Thankfully I haven't noticed the MPG problems other owners have mentioned. In mixed driving I'm able to get 30-31 MPG with Active Eco mode off. After a couple tests, I've found Active Eco mode useless. It's a great value with an excellent interior. Unfortunately it's suspension is very harsh and it's a bit noisy (both engine and wind noise). I feel every little bump on the road. even after upgrading to excellent Michelin tires. At 65 MPH, interior noise is about 75 db, as measured by an app on my iPhone. A 2010 Mazda3 measures about 70 db.

Nice Ride!
By antoniog71 on 04/21/13 20:45 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is simply awesome. Looks very small, but it is VERY comfortable, even for big people like me and my family. It rides super slick and it looks nice as well. The interior is nice, very nice. This car is perfect for any 4 people, can fit 5, but looks like it will not be comfortable. Besides it being a GT, it is a good purchase for my family. It will be used to take us anywhere, and the mileage on this car is sweet. Nice Ride! You can't go wrong with this car.

Love this car, but...
By cafiestase on 04/06/13 00:17 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This is my second Elantra...wow, what a difference. The other was a 2008 SE. This has more power, ride is much better. My one is a big difference for the and the wife and I fell in love with lines and the "Red", I mean "Red". I am looking for better mileage, but I only have 1,800 miles on the clock. My last car was a 2011 Ford Fiesta W/6-speed trans that need work at 30K, so we traded it for the Elantra GT, even so, when ever I traveled for over 100 miles, I got a min. of 40mpg so where is the 37mpg Hyundai???

Utility, not performance
By doug_pardee on 03/21/13 08:50 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The Elantra GT is NOT an enthusiast's car. It's an extremely practical car that provides commuters a quiet and comfortable ride in a relatively upscale cabin, with flexibility for carrying passengers and cargo, or for taking road trips. And with excellent mileage if driven conservatively. Gas mileage: by many accounts, the Elantra GT is unusually sensitive to how it's driven. At 60 mph with cruise control on, I get maybe 42 mpg. Mileage drops off sharply with additional speed, or with cruise control off. After a cold start, maybe 15 mpg for the first mile. When slowing, I take my foot completely off the gas to activate Deceleration Fuel CutOff. I've gotten right at 30 mpg on every tankful.

Careful. This LEMON needs a lot of work.
By elantragtowner on 02/08/13 12:34 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this brand new 3 months ago, and am now having to take it in for it's 7th or 8th visit. I've lost track. The vehicle steering system was defective or just poor design to begin with. On the highway, if I relaxed my hand, it would fly off the road to the left. It was very dangerous, and I got into a few close calls because of this. It took 6 attempts for the shop to get it adequate. By adequate I mean it isn't 100%, but they fixed it "enough" to where I can tolerate it. Now I have to take the vehicle in again due to engine trouble. It's been taking the engine 20-30 seconds to wind down from 5,000RPM to 1000RPM when you shift into neutral. It's getting worse. Not happy at all.

Love the styling, but shocked at the MPG lie!!
By dmortaz on 01/21/13 08:52 AM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Last week we purchased the 2013 Elantra GT with the Touch-and-Go package for our every day commute car! But I am sorely disappointed at the Noise in the cabin specially on the freeway rides. I am also shocked that despite the rebates on the inaccurate Gas Millage claims, our sticker on the car was still showing a 30 MPG average!! This car's dash only shows 24-25 MPG which is far shy of the stickers claim! I wish I had known about the exaggerated millage. I am NOT sure if it would have caused us to change our decision, but now I wonder what other facts the Hyundai folks have been exaggerating about.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*