Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

Over all great car!
By bkohs

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've been driving my GT for about 5 months now and have just under 3000mi on it. There have been zero mecanical issues as expected for such a new car. My wife was very suprised by me getting this car because I've been into either sprots cars, or SUV's for a while. I eneded up test driving the GT just to pass some time while my wife's car was in for service. Thats all it took for me was one test drive. I came back later that day to trade in my Jeep. I opted for a 6spd manual with the touch and go package which added 17" wheel, keyless entry, push button start, and sport pedals. It also had the homelink mirror which has a nice auto dim feature.

Interior, Sound system even on the base model is great! The looks are more reflective of a high dollar car. MPG's are great I'm getting an average of 29mpg with mostly city driving in congested South FL.

Not everything gets high praises with this car. There are a few places Hyundai fell a little short. First off the factory tires are garbage. This is the first time in my life I will be happy when the tires get low so I have an excuse to change them. Hyudai should have gone with a better brand for thier cars. The rear suspension can be a little sketchy when going over bumps while turning. I, for the most part, fixed this problem with changing the rear shocks to KYB's. It was only $150 for the parts and they made a world of difference. 1st and 6th gear are mostly useless on the manual trans. The gearing should be changed a little. Finally the Engine should have about 30 or so more HP.

Great Small Family Car
By rem836

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I shopped and shopped and finally decided on the Elantra GT. Main factors in my decision were price and cargo space. I was a bit worried about fitting two car seats in the back seat, but both fit comfortably and the middle cup holder can still flip down...not that I'm going to show that feature to my kids! The car handled well in the winter ice and snow.

-Cargo Space -heated seats...very nice in the winter!

-more storage cubbies for spare change, etc.

So far, so good...
By richmonder1

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my Elantra GT almost three months and nearly 4000 miles. Mine came with the "Touch & Go" package. Additionally, I preferred the manual transmission. Which brings me to the point of my review: I am getting better than the advertised mileage. On the highway, with limits varying between 55 mph and 70 mph, I typically get between 39 and 40 mpg. Sometimes more but rarely less. Around town, I can get as much as 31 to 32 mpg or as little as 27 mpg. Typically, it will depend on the number of stoplights that trip has. Even with a canoe and a kayak on a Yakima rack, I was able to get 31 mpg on country secondary roads with 55 mph speed limits. The difference might be the transmission

Mileage, leg room, cargo space,

I would really prefer to have a gauge for the generator/alternator and one for the oil pressure as opposed to the "idiot lights". Also, my insurance carrier has provided me with a device that plugs into the OBD II port. Hopefully, that will result in some savings, but the panel cover will not fit with the device in place. I suspect this is a trend which will grow, so hopefully accommodations will be made for this in future models.

Careful. This LEMON needs a lot of work.
By elantragtowner

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this brand new 3 months ago, and am now having to take it in for it's 7th or 8th visit. I've lost track. The vehicle steering system was defective or just poor design to begin with. On the highway, if I relaxed my hand, it would fly off the road to the left. It was very dangerous, and I got into a few close calls because of this. It took 6 attempts for the shop to get it adequate. By adequate I mean it isn't 100%, but they fixed it "enough" to where I can tolerate it. Now I have to take the vehicle in again due to engine trouble. It's been taking the engine 20-30 seconds to wind down from 5,000RPM to 1000RPM when you shift into neutral. It's getting worse. Not happy at all.

The quality of the interior is easily on par with an entry level Lexus.

Before launching a new electronic steering system, maybe really put it to the test before placing it in the hands of unsuspecting customers. This car may be suffering from the same thing the Sonata Turbo was suffering from (research Sonata left pulling issue). I test drove another new Elantra GT on the lot. It suffered from bad steering pull as well. Another one drove perfectly straight. My suggestion for future buyers: pay CLOSE attention to the way the vehicle steers. With the exception of the above problems I have had, the car is otherwise a nice car. Unfortunately, my opinion of Hyundai's is tarnished due to my frustration with repeated visits. I'll stick with the Japanese next time.

Better than Ford Focus
By justaguy6

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Owning a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback for 5 months, I was in the shop 4 times for transmission issues and once for the nav/audio screen shutting off. All in all, it was a mess. I have purchased a silver elantra gt with tech and style package, manual transmission. Owning it for about a week, I am averaging 37 mpg (not sure where everyone else is driving). Prior to Ford, I was a BMW owner (2003) - fed up with costs to own. Although this is no BMW, this car is a lot of fun. Feel solid and handles pretty well for a car in this segment.

The panoramic sunroof takes this car to the next level. Wanted a roof bike rack, but can fit it in the boot easily. The warranty makes this car a no brainer considering its features.

Sound system is a bit weak on highs and lows.