2006 Hyundai Azera 3.8L V6 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Azera - Consumer Reviews

SE Sedan (3.8L V6 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Azera model:
Enjoying it with reservations
By Rod on 08/09/10 00:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Read all the reviews before buying it. could not get more than 14MPG, under any circumstances, hated that the key fob kept hitting the plastic dash and absolutely hated the ride. I was told to wait till I drove it a while before I can expect better gas mileage. At my first oil change, a young mechanic reinstalled the software that runs the engine and I immediately obtained 17.8 MPG around town and 27 MPG on the highway. I installed a plastic change purse over the key fob to silence the key chain. It worked. I stopped by another dealer to complain about the ride. He installed new shocks on the front and it now rides almost acceptably. I only have 8000 miles on it.

A Car to Consider
By senior citizen to be on 08/13/09 12:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I had to replace my 97 Camry. Owning all kinds of cars in the past (Lexus- Benz-Honda-Audi) this one made sense. Things I love: safety features (airbags all around, stability and traction control + the usual - ABS etc.), power (250 hp), transmission (smooth, gear stays on until red zone if you hit it), comfort (seats, rear A/C - heat fan, illuminated power switches, auto up/down window for driver & pass), optional features (front & REAR reading lights, huge trunk, good stereo), and highway gas mileage (28). Major gripe: If you want a sporty car this is not it. On straight road it is great. BUT smooshy on curves (just like a Buick). Minor stuff: City MPG could be better. Buy used not new.

Doubting Hyundai buyer
By JW on 02/10/09 13:17 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

When you turn your car on, does your car turn you on? Mine does! The only problem I had was the position the highlights were reflecting on the road, but the dealership adjusted. This car is wonderful. From the sleek exterior design, the plush interior to the horse power under the hood. My husband forced me to test drive a Sonata, but when we went into the dealership and I saw this Azera I knew it was something special. Like other comments I've read, it's hard to believe there aren't more on the road.

AWESOME AZERA
By Frank Duve on 10/09/08 15:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in late 2006 & have been amazed at it's build quality & comfort. The driving position is perfect for a 6 footer. I use it daily for work in heavy Washington D.C. traffic & 54,000 miles have proven it's durability. It's a pleasure to drive.The Azera has features that others in it's class can't match.I get about 22 m.p.g. in the city, & 26-30 on the highway & this car is fast.

A lot of car for the price I paid.
By Yifan on 09/15/08 09:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Nobody thought I'd buy this car, including me, but I haven't regretted since. A lot of power for its curb weight. The other day, I had no problem keeping up with a Mazdaspeed 3 on the freeway going 90mph. Like some people say, you don't realize how fast you are going because the ride is very quiet and smooth. Of course, it also helps that Hyundai has such long warranties on it. Haven't had need to take it back to dealer yet though. Roomy interior and superb upholstery, though not leather, all the nice touches are there including the "fake" wood plastic finish. Large trunk. Exterior styling is ok, but not the best. But for a $23K car, it's not bad.

3rd gear ???
By Watash on 08/27/08 21:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

At nearly 50,000 miles, I can give a fair evaluation. My Azera has snappy acceleration that requires you to pay attention. The pro review that said they got 17.7 mpg is way off base. He must have done his review driving around in 3rd gear. I get 26 to 28 mpg combined mileage, about half city and highway. I am an All-American, but I love just about everything about this car. Easy on tires? I am just about to buy the first set of replacement tires, going to get 235's this time; it will be even better. This car will not disappoint someone who wants a very smooth ride. It's quick, very comfortable with a big trunk for all my things, and a ton of very usable features...Ed

45,500 Miles Not A Problem
By Silver Azera on 07/10/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

The Hankook tires will just about make my next 5,000 miles which will be my first big investment in this car- new tires at 50K miles. Rain, sleet, snow and clear skies, the car handles well and is comfortable for both front and rear passengers. I've had the dealer just perform oil changes (wiper blades at 40K)and rotated the tires. No other maintenance required. The body finish has held up well and the car looks brand new coming out of the car wash. Everyone who gets in can't believe how comfortable it rides, quiet and roomy. Overall this has been one of the best cars I have bought.

Fast, but you pay for the power
By fishingsocprof on 09/14/07 23:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We have put about 26K on our 2006 Azera SE. Bought it for about 22K. Lots of zip but overall gas mileage right about 21.5. Have had some issues with it (a/c compressor overvoltage, rear windows not going down, crack in dash) but dealer has been very good about fixes. As with most dealers, service dept tries to make a lot of money. Saying that I had to flush and fill transmission at 30K to keep warranty. 175 dollar deal. Easy to change trans fluid yourself on this car. Finally pinned them down and flush/fill not required to meet warranty, just drain and refill. Keep receipts for trans oil, of course and use special Hyundai oil like the book says.

Poor company response to safety defect
By sedan on 05/25/07 04:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

The head lights are of poor design and make driving the car unsafe at night. I drive emergancy vehicles and have been trained for over 26 years. This car makes it so you over drive your headlights at night and is unsafe. The company response to the problem is very poor and not owner friendly. They do not seen to care about the safety of their buyers.

Luxury sedan for less !
By paris on 01/13/07 21:51 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Azera is fun to drive very powerfull Engine - 3.8L v6, ...spacious ....very nicely and neatly designed Interior ....