Great Car, Fun to drive (SE)
By realquiet on
2013 Hyundai Accent SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
My wife and I were looking for a commuter care (90% city/10% highway). With stop lights every mile to half-mile we are averaging 28 to 29mpg (w/o AC). This breaks even with my 06’ Civic (5-speed manual). As I am use to driving a manual, I do find that the automatic transmission could be more responsive and that the car shifts up a gear a little too early (to improve fuel economy). For example, this is annoying when traffic goes from 35-25-35: Civic (3rd-3rd-3rd) / Accent (4th-3rd-4th). While the 6-speed automatic has shorter gear ratios, I still feel like it is shifting too early and this causes the RPMs to spike and the car to pull forward more eagerly than anticipated.
Favorite Features
I like hatchbacks because they feel zippy and can hug tight corners really well. The handling for city driving is excellent. I find that the electronic power steering is a little touchy at highway speeds and it feels like I have to do many more micro adjustments, but I am sure that I will get used to it or that it can be adjusted. My wife and I also like the feeling of safety that it provides, it feels like you are driving the car rather than the car is driving you. Another favorite is that from the outside the car looks small, but inside it feels roomy and can comfortably fit four adult passengers. 100,000 mile warranty, also purchased bumper to bumper.
Suggested Improvements
Hyundai should work on the automatic transmission, it has come a long way but it can always be improved on. The instrument panels are far too glossy, nice eye candy, but it can also blind the driver when the sun hits the dash, the AC vents, or the area around the shifter at the correct angle. When wearing polarized sunglasses it is almost impossible to read the time on digital display, this should be addressed. Additional cup holders should be standard (currently 4 in the front, 0 in the back). With the SE we would also like to see a rear back up camera. These hatchbacks also have limited visibility when looking out the back window. Increase standard warranty on comptuer components to 150k