Solid car for this college kid
By ben_u on
2012 Hyundai Accent SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
Very nice little car. I was looking for something with great gas mileage to replace my Jeep, and I found it. Performance is great for a V4. Doesn't feel like a toy. Plenty of power for accelerating/passing when you need it. Looks nice on the inside and out. Quiet ride on the highway. The stereo isn't great to my ears, but it'll do for most people. Feels solidly built. Plastics don't feel cheap. I gave reliability a neutral rating because I've only had the car for a week and a half, but I've yet to experience any problems.
Favorite Features
Needless to say, the gas mileage is great. Most of my commute is driving short distances in suburbs, so I average about 25 mpg. Most people will get higher mileage. Quiet cabin on the highway. You'll barely notice any difference in sound on a smooth highway. Plenty of trunk space. I play the trombone, and my instrument fits nicely with more than enough room to spare for books and bags. The SHIFTRONIC system is sort of fun, if you're into that kind of thing, but I don't see myself using it. The Accent SE I got came with an auto-dimming rear view mirror, which is really nice now that so many people have those new blindingly bright headlights. Controls in the steering wheel easy to use.
Suggested Improvements
Steering wheel could raise up more. I'm comfortable once in the seat, but at 6' tall, I have to maneuver my right leg awkwardly under the steering wheel to get in. The LCD screen for the stereo can be hard to see when the sun hits it at the right angle. Not too big of a deal unless if you're fiddling with the radio at the time. Stereo could use some improvement. Wish a spare/jack was included. Roadside assistance is included, but here in west Texas, spotty cell phone reception along some highways and interstates isn't uncommon. Bluetooth system works, but the voice recognition is awful. I have to start most calls from my phone.