Not happy at the moment
By winvid33 on
2012 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)
I bought my car because I couldn't come close price wise with the american car dealers. Within 3 days of purchasing my car, the Transmission had to be replaced. I would have rather got the manual transmission but they are like a needle in a haystack. That is what the low price represents. You end up paying way more with the automatic. I called Hyundai to try to get a new vehicle since the brand new one I bought lost a tranny in the first week. No way! I just put in gas and got 31.5 MPG on exactly half highway driving and using the Active Eco Mode. I don't expect I will ever get the 30 city that they say they get.
Favorite Features
The ability to shift manually is kind of handy at times (With the triptronic automatic). The USB port for the I Pod I am sure would work great if I had an I pod. Nice ride and quiet on well paved roads. While not a rocket ship, the car has decent drivable acceleration as long as it is not in the Active Eco mode. Room in the back seat is pretty good for a car of this size. I sat in the back of a new Ford Focus and even though in the specs, it says more legroom by an inch, the seatbelt anchors got in the way of the feet.
Suggested Improvements
Customer Service. The salesman and dealership I worked with were pretty good to work with, and did what they could with me without taking a loss on the car. Hyundai should have given me a new vehicle with that major a problem in the first week. Now I worry every time I drive the car. The Active ECO setting works pretty good on the open road, but at slow speeds the car is completely gutless and lugs constantly. If the city MPG rating is based on the Eco setting, then they should change the ratings to reflect a normal operation. I suspect that out of the ECO mode the car will get about 25 in the city. This is not bad mileage, but I feel is false advertising I will comment later on this.
By abmwfan
on 08/28/11 08:21 AM (PDT)

MPG depends not only on "how" you drive, but where and when you drive also. You will not get optimal mpg when: the car is brand new, you drive in hilly or mountainous terrain, you drive in very cold temps, you drive with a heavy foot, you drive short distances, you load the car with people and/or junk, etc. An accurate MPG reading comes from driving the car over longer periods of time, not by spot checking the trip computer of a brand new car and then whining about it on Edmunds.

By chise
on 08/09/11 18:45 PM (PDT)

Oh my god, people. 1. The gas MPG depends on the way you drive. If your drive habit is good (in terms of gas) you'll get well over 30 as advertisement states. If you're terrible at it, you'll get well below 30. 30 is an average MPG. 2. You need to drive the vehicle for awhile for it to kick in. Only then you'll be able to get higher MPG. More you drive, more MPG you'll get. Don't expect to get 30/40 on a brand new car when the engine is absolutely shining new.

By jchasp59
on 03/01/12 19:02 PM (PST)

I have owned 3 Hyundais. They all achieved their EPA rated hwy mileage, but never came close to the city number, even when driven in mixed driving (60% hwy/40% city), and driven very conservatively. I don't know how Hyundai gets away with this. Just sold (regretfully) a 2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan with auto transmission. It far exceeded both EPA numbers (auto: 29/34). Least that I ever got was 34 in the mixed driving mentioned, above, and easily achieved 46mpg on numerous, pure hwy trips. I missed that car, especially when I bought a Fiat 500. Please read my post on this site regarding that car!

By accentzz
on 07/01/11 07:17 AM (PDT)

Just got accent 2012 last June 16. After two weeks of city driving, got only an average of 28 mpg. I was upset because it was not within what Hyundai advertized.

By orbit9090
on 06/22/11 04:43 AM (PDT)

I don't think you need an "iPod" to utilize the USB port in a 2012 Hyundai. I believe you can simply insert a USB flashdrive (jumpdrive) loaded with mp3 music files and you should be able to select\sort songs via the audio head unit. Give it a try and let us know..